Bontrager Race Handlebars

• 26.0mm clamp diameter to fit traditional road stems
  • Shot peened finish dramatically increases fatigue life of bar
  • Custom butted 7075-T6 aluminum with ergo bend
  • Laser etched control position lines on drops for easy positioning of lever
  • Same dialed-in geometry and high strength material as our top end Race Lite bar
  • Weight: 245 grams

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by zdpn03 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2005

Strengths:    The biggest asset of these bars is the ergonomics of the Flat Top design. These are perfestly suited for riders who spend a lot of time riding on top of the hoods, but still want to be able to use the drops. The Flat Design spreads the contact pressure across your entire palm, as opposed to it being focused on the V between your thumb and first finger.

Weaknesses:    Weight is a little heavy at 250 grams, but not really a big deal considering most light wight bars run between 200 and 230 grams.

Because of the angles of the bends, the reach to the brake levers from the drops is a little wider than standard bars. If you have small hands/short fingers this could be a issue.

Another potential issue is that your arms may brush against the tops of the bars when your are in the drops sprinting. I have not encountered a problem with this, but I have heard of others mentioning this.

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the "Flat Top" version. Flat Top is not a description of the shape of the bars, rather it is a description of the transition of the tops of the bars into the brake hoods. Basically, the tops of these bars set parallel to the ground as opposed to sloping down and forward like all other road bars. This is a great bar for those of you who's handlebar height is lower than your saddle and whom spend a large amount of time riding on top of your hoods. If you currently like to tilt your current handlebars up, you should buy a set of these today.

Performance wise, these bars feel as solid as other similar 26.0 aluminum bars. I don't notice any significant flex. These bars also stay put in my stem clamp. The alignment marks on the front help with setting up your brake levers at the same height.

Favorite Ride:   Enchanted Circle, NM

Similar Products Used:   TTT Prima 199
    Ritchey WCS

Bike Setup:   Compact frame with a low handlebar height in relation to my seat.

Submitted by MD Jeff a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent performance at a very reasonable price. Stiff, light, and very comfortable hand positions.

Weaknesses:    None noted.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent handlebar, even for us big, out-of-saddle mashers. I purchased the "Flat Top" version, which has a much shallower angle dropping into the shifter hoods and into the drops. Where before my time in the drops was very infrequent, I now ride in the drops for long periods. One nice touch is the etched marking on the bar to help with positioning shifters and adjusting the mounting angle. Overall weight seems fine unless you are a gram counter. Bars do flex slightly when jamming hard, but not in a bad way, I actually appreciated the slight give. The stem interface is excellent and I have not heard so much as a squeak in over 1000 miles. Bontrager does not sell directly to the public or through mail order companies. You will have to special order through a participating local bike shop, which is a pretty good statement of support for the "little guys" out there.

Favorite Ride:   Amish 100

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor, Waldorf

Similar Products Used:   Kestrel Carbon (very good as well), Salsa Pro's (good, but just didn't fit my hands), and Ritchey Pro's.

Bike Setup:   Kestrel Talon with mix of Ultegra, Dura Ace, FSA, and Velomax components.

Submitted by trek5900cyclist a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2003

Strengths:    Stiff. Light. Isnt that everything a handlebar should be?

Weaknesses:    The only problem is the black tape around the bar tape peeled off very quickly. Yet, thats a problem with the tape not the bars.

Bottom Line:
    Came with my new Trek 2300. I love it. Best one I've ever had. I always hated my ITM one on my Trek 5200 and Cannondale R1000. Seemed like it flexed over the years into coming close to a halfway pretzel shape.

Favorite Ride:   RAGBRAI