Cinelli Altera Handlebars

2.75/5 (8 Reviews)

Drawn from a 6082 T6 aluminum extruded tube, externally butted and anatomically shaped, Altèra is a new handlebar designed to mate with Cinelli's Alter stem.

Weight: 290 gr/40 c/c

Submitted by Dougimusprime a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2011

Strengths:    Fits my hands well

Weaknesses:    THEY SNAPPED WHILE I WAS RIDDING

Bottom Line:
Welp...I just had these snap on me a few hours ago. I figured I would see if anyone else out there had these snap on them. AND, sure enough there is.

I just got done with a very technical decent were I hit about 45mph. I turned at the end of the road where there is a short little up. I went to put some power down to get over it quickly and I just felt the right side of the bar give way and then snap.

So my review is that these pretty much suck. I think they lasted about 6 years...Is that the regular life of hand bars?

Favorite Ride:   everywhere

Submitted by Craig Snider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2006

Strengths:    Shape

Weaknesses:    Obviously there is a flaw in this bar. It doesn't hold up to serious cycling and presents a hazard to anyone using it. Avoid the Cinelli Altera handlebar.

Bottom Line:
About a week ago a guy in the local bike club in Santa Clarita had his Cinelli Alterabar snap off (like other reviewer) Unfortunately he let go of the broken bar and it droped into the front wheel spokes, broke the fork, and he fell (not injured seriously). I suspect this is a design flaw, perhaps the embedded name plates near the center of the bar create a weakness. I plan to replace my Cinelli Altera bar soon. I'm surprised there is no recall on these.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Hamilton from Livermore, CA

Purchased At:   Sierra Trading Post

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by Andy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2006

Strengths:    The shape is more square tubing (with rounded edges) than other handlebars, so it is more chunky and more comfortable than any other handlebar I have ever tried.

Bottom Line:
I love the Cinelli Altera handle bar. I got it with my Bianchi Axis. The standard handlebar was too wide for me, so the dealer swapped it out with the Altera in a 40cm size, and I've always been happy with it. I'm contemplating another one to go on the roadbike I just bought.

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey WCS, Deda Elementi

Submitted by Aaron Clark a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2006

Strengths:    Thanks old pal, you've done well.

Weaknesses:    A wee bit heavy now that technology has moved on.

Bottom Line:
This bar was the stock handlebar on my 2001 Giant TCR2. It has been crashed, dropped, sprinted, climbed and descended on, and is still performing. I only changed it in 2006 for something lighter.

Favorite Ride:   Darfield to Arthur's Pass

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Bike Setup:   Stock 2001 TCR2 with custom built wheels.

Submitted by Martystan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2004

Strengths:    The name Cinelli is (or was) a quality name in road bike bars.

Weaknesses:    Too heavy for anything competitive

Bottom Line:
Have just started riding road bikes again to complement my mtb fitness and strength after over 15 years of riding and eventually racing XC mtb's. These bars came with the bike TCR 1 Aero, which is very sweet and very stealthy. The bars seem at first impression to be heavy, too heavy for racing and triathlon which is what I intend to use the bike for.

Favorite Ride:   Kao Yai National Park, Thailand

Purchased At:   Privately

Similar Products Used:   Need some recommendations please, am relatively new to the roading scene and would appreciate some insight and info on some decent strong lightweight bars for racing and triathlon. 100usd budget would be sufficient I imagine. I know Easton make superb carbon mtb bars, have they got the road bike equivilent?

Bike Setup:   Standard Giant TCR1 Aero (Black), Mavic Elite wheelset, Ultegra groupset throughout, carbon aero seatpost and stem and Syntec Aerobars. Cost around US$1500