Cinelli Angel Handlebars

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Angel is built in aluminum alloy AL 6082 T6. Ahead-Set, It suites the oldest forks (diameter 22.2 mm) thanks to an adapter. The armrests are in aluminum alloy AL 5754, with five small holes to choose the right fixing position on the clamp. The armrests are fixed to the wings with an innovative fixing, rotating system to find the right position.

Submitted by cav_slowman a Triathlete from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Strengths:    I found them stiff and eventually comfortable once I found the right position for the armrests. Very comfortable now. These bars are very aero indeed, probably also because they sit very low my body position is also alot more aero. They noticeably take the edge of stiff headwinds. The alloy is easy to drill to internally route the cables.

Weaknesses:    No instructions. I didn't know about the upper and lower positions for the boom until I read about it here. Getting the armrests setup probably would have been faster with some instructions. The wings are a bit low and that is because of the angled sweep downwards, less angle would be good, maybe even flat! These bars aren't all that good for climbing as there isn't much of a position that is equivalent to the "top of your bars" unless you hod onto the armrests which are sort of sharp. It can still be done its just not ideal even though they are not meant to be a friendlier armrest like the Syntace C2 clip on ones could be incorporated to accommodate this.

Bottom Line:
I got these bars on special for AUD$360 (about US$165). Along with all the others the look is sweet and fast. The welds are pretty solid looking but I have seen better although I wouldn't want these filed down as the alloy is pretty light, which makes it easy to drill too. I drilled out the aero bars to route the bar end shifter cables through the boom sections and I also drilled out the wing handles right in the middle of the curved end. The holes were about 10mm in diameter allowing easy routing of the break cables without compromising any structural strength. The brake cables are routed up through the wings and come out through the stem. I also had to file down the diameter of my bar ends to fit them in the bar ends. Don't reem out the bar ends you'll make the bar weaker.

Favorite Ride:   Wollongong along coastline

Purchased At:   Dean Woods Direct

Similar Products Used:   Syntace C2 with cut down Cinelli Moscow bullhorn.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5500 with Alpina Wing TT carbon fork, Xtreme tri-spokes, d/ace bar end levers with ultegra 12-23t 9 spd. Also have a Specialized Pave carbon seat post on order to absorb road shock the OCLV doesn't. Currently the XTR seat post feels a bit stiff after about a 150kms. I will also try a Pizazz carbon aero post too.

Submitted by paleos a Triathlete from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    Aero tubing, solid one piece construction, adjustability and a nasty fast look.

Weaknesses:    The drops are way too deep, making seated climbing an interesting procedure. Also, while the bars are super adjustable, there are so many bolts to screw/unscrew that it can be a little annoying and time consuming when you need to tighten your set up or change your position.

Bottom Line:
These are great time trial bars, but so far as ironman triathlon goes, they have limitations. Mostly this lies in the depth of the drops and brake horns. The side bars simply go down too far for you to effectively sit back and adopt a climbing position. Still, for the flats, you can lay in and pedal like mad.

Favorite Ride:   Mount Donna Buang

Similar Products Used:   Profile Carbon X

Bike Setup:   Principia TT2 frame, Dura Ace, Zipp 404 race wheels.

Submitted by Pull thru a Road Racer from Waldorf, Md.

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2002

Strengths:    Extemely stiff. No flex at all on either the bar ends or cow horns. The bars allow you to get up and "grip it and rip it" with no problems. Cheaper then comparable bars - Profile Carbon X's.

Weaknesses:    Cinelli does not give any instructions. One would think any aero bars are fairly easy to set up and configure. Think again, no instructions are provided just a picture on the bax of the aero bars is all you get w/these. First off. Bar ends shifters will not just set in. The diameter is to small. You have to bore the bars out to set shifters in place. Second. It is not very apparent that the bar ends have two vertical adjustments, low and high. The "ball end device" that the bars slide into has to be taken out and flipped around for the other position. While the pic on the box shows that it can be done, you have to figure it out. Cinelli does not help much.

Bottom Line:
Overall very nice set of bars. Not as aero looking as some other bars. Offers a very low hand position - which is what I wanted. Because of this, those who have ridden w/Syntace or Profile may not like these bars as they do not offer many vertical adjustments like non aheadsets. You have either a very high arm/hand setup or very low.

Purchased At:   Excel

Similar Products Used:   Profile F-18, Profile Carbon Stryke, Syntace C2's.

Bike Setup:   GIANT TCR Aero.

Submitted by Michael a Triathlete from Airway Heights, WA. USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2001

Strengths:    They are a well built set of aero bars. Aside from the impressive and intimidating look, they have a great aero profile and fit. I ride with my elbos in the pads instead of the forearm, but either way feels very comfortable. I didn't have any trouble with the pads. I was able to move the bar ends out to suit my extended style, so I appreciated the range of adjustability. The Angels are also 80g lighter than any other aero bars I've found. I have a wireless computer that rests in the first hole in the stem. The look is as if the computer was built into the aero bars. There is a second hole which I used to store a gel flask on the longer rides.

Weaknesses:    The screw that holds my bar ends firmly in place has recently come loose after just a few minutes of riding. The only impact is about a half inch of play, but that can seem like a lot with the unstable feel of steering while riding aero. I've taken the screw completely out to find out what was causing it to loosen, but that's about all I could move. The bar ends didn't loosen any more and nothing came apart, so I have no Idea what that particular screw is for.I fixed the bolt with a dab of my tubular tire glue. I haven't had to mess with it for weeks now. I also believe that the cowhorn (I hope that's the right term) angles upward too sharply. The aero bars have great profile, but that's not only extra drag, it's also uncomfortable to ride with my hands there for too long.

Bottom Line:
These aero bars are top of the line. They have room for improvement still, but there's nothing about them that I find intolerable. If you like light, then these are for you. If you like the impressively fast look of these beautiful aero bars, then these are for you. They extend way out and are still very strong when other aero bars get a flimsy feel at the same extension. In my opinion, the worst thing about them is that they are too difficult to find.

Favorite Ride:   Softride :0)

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Profile aero bars

Bike Setup:   TREK OCLV for one more day. I'll have a Softride Rocket R1 with dura ace, profile design aero bars, HED disc rear and H3 front, Speed Play pedals and a 99g Flight Evolution II sadle

Submitted by James a Triathlete from Central Florida

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2001

Strengths:    Extremely stiff throughout - including integrated stem, wings, and handholds. Good machine work and excellent TIG welds. Overall weight (or lack thereof) is good.

Weaknesses:    As mentioned above - this bar is kinda goofy out of the box. The handholds have this long, silly looking curve to them that must be cut down. You have to be careful if using levers that insert into the end of the tube, as they won't fit correctly in certain parts of the bends. Also, the diameter of bar end shifters must be filed down to fit into the aero bar tubing. This all takes some work, but the results can be worth it if these bars suit you. Others will just get frustrated and ticked off at the amount of work it takes to "customize" these bars.

Bottom Line:
These aren't bolt and ride bars - they take some fitting and machining. They are comparable in price to a stem/bar/aerobar cost. Consider the forward/downward sweep in the bar and drop in the stem when fitting these bars. Excellent quality. Also consider the Profile Carbon one-piece, the DEDA blue, and VisonTech...I did. I am sticking with these and an alternate drop bar setup.

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   I've had several Profile setups, cut down and flipped ITM bullhorns, and VisionTech.

Bike Setup:   Kestrel KM40 with EMS fork.

How the tradition of putting an angel on the top of a Christmas tree started:

[B][FONT=&]When four ofSanta's elves got sick, the trainee elves did not produce toys as fast as theregular ones, and Santa began to feel the pre-Christmas pressure. [/FONT] [FONT=&]Then Mrs.Claus told Santa her mother was coming to visit, which stressed Santa evenmore. [/FONT] [FONT=&]Whe ... Read More »

n00b guardian angel?!?!

Well, the inevitable happened today. Slo-mo tipped over at a stop sign while out for a quick ride and lunch with a co-worker. OK, I feel silly, a few cars saw me and I scraped my knee a little by trying to protect the bike...fell to the right side. My buddy is sympathetic and reminded me it happ ... Read More »

And lo, I beheld the Angel of Death

1. Busy, curvy, narrow urban street 2. 1 ton Econoline van 3. 80+ year old grandma who can't quite see over the steering wheel 4. She's talking on her cell phone. Never was I so happy to be on the other side of the street.Read More »

Taos/Angel Fire or south of Colo Springs for summer vacation?

We are trying to figure out where to go for summer vacation. Last year it was the beach. This year we are going to the mountains somewhere. Criteria: 1. Not scorching hot. Daytime highs in the low-80's at maximum. 2. Stuff for the kids to do. Sightseeing. Horseback riding. Cave of the Wi ... Read More »

Angel