DEDA Newton Anatomic Handlebars

4.38/5 (26 Reviews)

• Store Price

Deda Elementi Newton 31 drop handlebars feature an anatomic bend to provide a closer brake lever reach. Features and Information Width measured ou...

Submitted by jefseven a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff - Comfortable - Easy reach in all positions

Bottom Line:
I like these bars. They are stiff and very comfortable in most positions. I ride Campy, so I like the cable channels indented into the sides. One reviewer said that it's hard to tape over them (for Shimano,) but a little strip of electrical tape and a small piece of cork should do the trick very easily. I've used these for a number of years now, and they don't show any signs of stress - this includes a lot of uphill grinding. I take the bike apart and inspect it every year.

Favorite Ride:   Nockamixon area, PA

Purchased At:   Total Cycling (Irela

Similar Products Used:   Cinelli, ITM

Bike Setup:   Seven Odonata / Deda Stem-bars / Wound-Up Fork / full Campy Chorus 10, with Record pedals / Mavic Ksyrium SL/SSC's / Conti 4000 clinchers - Alternatively, Mavic CXP30's w/Sprinter tubulars

Submitted by ingobrun a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Strengths:    Round bend, deep drop reminds me of the old Cinelli 66's which I used to ride. It's a classic shape, nice and deep.

Weaknesses:    Has cable grooves on back which I don't need, and require thick tape to conceal.

Bottom Line:
I bought these bars to replace the Bontrager bars that came stock on my 2008 Trek Madone 6.5. I hate anatomic bends because they shorten the reach and drop which really effects sprinting position. So I went with the deep drop, round bend, and so far I love them. They are plenty stiff. I don't care at all about weight given how light my bike already is, so I also just bought a Thomson stem to replace the original Bontrager, and subsequent Ritchey WCS (-17, 130mm). I like long and low.

Favorite Ride:   Route 9w by dedault

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Cinelli 66's a long time ago.

Bike Setup:   2008 Trek Madone 6.5 with full Dura Ace, including cranks to replace stock bontrager/SRAM combo. Also upgraded to Mavic CX33 32H dura ace wheels for bomb proof training wheels. Looking to get a pair of Zipp 404 tubulars for race wheels. I'm 6'1" 180lbs, so I value stiffness, durability and strength over weight.

Submitted by acid_rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2008

Strengths:    shallow drop makes the drops more accessible (higher) if you rotate bars down properly and bring the hoods back up towards you.

Weaknesses:    price is too high

Bottom Line:
i have classic drop shape, shall drop Newton alloy bars, 42cm C-C bar. good bars but expensive for alloy product. they work with Deda stems and other 31.8mm stems too.

Favorite Ride:   no cars

Purchased At:   gran prix melbourne

Similar Products Used:   bontrager, specialized, modolo

Bike Setup:   not relevant

Submitted by karl a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2007

Strengths:    fit, lack of flex, comfort climbing, comfort in the drops and wrist room while sprinting. A perfect bar.

Weaknesses:    Deda needs to be more honest with their weights. Their product is too good to be undervalued by false advertising. The newton bars are NOT 207 grams. 42cm, the most popular size should be the standard for recorded, advertised general weight.

Bottom Line:
I'm 148lbs, I race and am a better climber than a sprinter. The bar replaced a bonti-x carbon which snapped while training after a race-crash and I also use a newton on a cyclocross bike for races. I am a weight weenie and though this bar (blue 06) is listed variously as 207g-215g rest assured that it is in fact a 250g+ bar. And I love it. It is very stiff and sure and I never feel as though I'm loosing energy to unwanted flex while climbing hard or hammering in the drops. So despite the slight weight penalty I'm on board. It's also confirmed my suspicion that in the world of carbon there is no good reason to avoid an aluminum bar, these are perfect and now I understand why so many pro users choose newton.

Favorite Ride:   anything going up

Purchased At:   The Ebay! Twice!

Similar Products Used:   All bontragers, some wcs ritchey which I liked for weight reasons but not for feel, some other dedas and some eastons.

Bike Setup:   42cm Deda Newtons on a Madone 5.9sl and a Bianchi Cross Concept

Submitted by acid_rider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2006

Strengths:    shallow drop comfort is good

Weaknesses:    too high a price for aluminium bars

Bottom Line:
shallow drop 134mm bar (42cm C-C) allows me to ride in the drops better. No complaints about anything else apart from the high price.

Favorite Ride:   no cars

Purchased At:   Australia (price inc

Similar Products Used:   bontrager race-x-lite stock bars on my Madone 5.9, deep drop was not good for my back so shallow drop was installed

Bike Setup:   stock Madone 5.9 except for saddle and bars and zero degree stem to lift the bars up further