Easton EA70 Handlebars

We spend a fair amount of time poring over pictures of the gear the pros ride purely for work of course. Look closely and you notice that many pros ride aluminum handle bars. True many carbon components are lighter than their aluminum counterparts b

Submitted by AJS a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have the 42cm size, using with a standard ITM Millenium stem. No problem with these two components at the bar clamp, they mate well with no slippage or squeaking.

I don't notice a lot of flexing, just a bit when I'm on the ends of the bar. But that happens with every bar I've owned so I wouldn't say the EA70 is much different than others in that respect.

The bend at the lever position is one of the best I've found for Campy. There's no stretching to reach the brakes or thumbshifters while in the drops. Also has double grooves for Campy cables that not all bars have. It's light too.

Only downside for me is I'd like a tighter bend on the tops (like the Ritchey's), but otherwise this is a great handlebar.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere without traffic

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Cinelli Nerve, Deda Newton OS, Ritchey Biomax, Biomax Pro (both w/o flare), & Pro Road, Salsa Bell Lap, TTT Morphe & Prima 199.

Bike Setup:   '03 Raleigh Professional, Campy Centaur

Submitted by Joe Don Baker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Well, it's light, but that's not the way to impress me with this particular component. This thing could be a pound all by itself, but if that made it rigid enough to make me feel confident when I accellerate and climb, it would easily be worth it to me.

Weaknesses:    Just absolutely the limpest stem/bar combo I've ever ridden. Rode? Sorry kids, I'm an engineer not a copy editor.

Bottom Line:
Limp, limp, limp, limp, limp! Stand to accelerate and it takes the bike ten seconds to catch up with you. I just can't stand without getting the sensation that the poor thing is about to give up the ghost. This is without question the single most flexible handlebar I've ever encountered. Granted, I'm a big guy and I don't waste any time getting up to speed. I live in the city and there's a lot of stop lights and hills between me and the burbs (where I do my recreational riding), but guys, if you've got any kind of power at all, avoid this bar and stem combo. Maybe their OS version is better. If you're a jockey-sized gram-counter who never has to ride in an urban environment, forget I said anything, but I'd speculate that you might not like this bar if you ever try a real climb (like you find in the Green Mountains, the White Maountains, the Smokies, the Rockies, the Cascades, the Adirondacks, etc.)

Similar Products Used:   3ttt The Stem / The Bar XL combo (so far it seems way better, but stay tuned while I figure out if it's really any good or not.

Bike Setup:   Surly Pacer, full Ultegra (a double, of course), Easton EA70 bar and stem (soon to be unbent with my bare hands, which would be no great feat of strength, burnt, and then tossed in the trash for the reasons described above), Easton EC70 seat post (which is great, actually), Turbomatic Saddle (which is awesome), Mavic Open Pro Rims (you know all about these already).

Submitted by Bob the Wheelbuilder a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2004

Strengths:    Light for an aluminum bar with this product's strength. Profile matches the EC-70 (except the lateral ends of bar tops aren't the same). Works well with aerobars.

Weaknesses:    Didn't mate well with same series stem.

Bottom Line:
Good, solid bar. I've had problems with the bar not mating well with the EA-70 stem, but I've switched to a Ritchey 4 bolt faceplate stem and the bar works great with that stem.

Favorite Ride:   Gunlock Loop

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Salsa, TTT, ITM.

Bike Setup:   Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel. Dura Ace, Reynolds fork, Speedplay X pedals, Fizik Arione saddle, Thomson Masterpiece post, Syntace C2 aerobars.

Submitted by Robert a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2003

Strengths:    Very Light and seems to absorb all road vibrations

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Excellent and various hand positions. No more neck or shoulder pain. Best upgrade on my bike.

Favorite Ride:   Any Century

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR1, carbon seat post with Terry Fly saddle

Submitted by abtractedfoundation a Road Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    extremely light,
stronger than my lugged steel frame,
comfy ergonomics (from a 4 minute ride)

Weaknesses:    I didn't get to ride with them longer.

Bottom Line:
I crashed at 23 into the edge of a car door with these bars. I installed them 4.5 minutes before and I was throughly enjoying them. The crash broke almost all of my components even my cassette, and my lugged steel frame. The bars had the brake lever housing mushroomed around it, and the only damage to the bars was an eraser sized dent from the brake lever bolt. These bars are light, strong, and from 4 minutes of riding, comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   I'd settle for anything now

Purchased At:   performance online

Similar Products Used:   heavy steel bars.

Bike Setup:   small bent peices laying on my living room floor.

Cable groove in EA70 road bars

I just purchased an EA70 handlebar and I thought it was supposed to be grooved for cables. This one is not. Did Easton make a recent design change? I would prefer that the bar be grooved.Read More »

Easton EA70 X replacement hub end cap

Is it possible to obtain a replacement end cap for a C3 front hub in a EA70 X wheelset? If not, what would be the best solution?Read More »

EA70 42cm road bars pig heavy. Options?

Unpleasantly surprised to weigh two 42cm Easton EA70 white bars at 290 and 291 grams. Is there a stiff aluminum bar under $80 msrp which weighs considerably less? Only one I've found without extensive searching is [url=http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10054_10551_1103566_-1_400213__40 ... Read More »

How do Easton EA70 Ergo bars rate?

Found some good holiday pricing in town with a great return policy if the bars and I don't get along. $35 out the door. In terms of weight and stiffness does Easton do a good job or is money better spent on the likes of Ritchey or 3T? Whoops, may have posted in wrong forum. Apologies.Read More »

First Tubular Cross Wheelset - '11 Hed Ardennes CL vs. '12 Easton EA70 X

Just getting into cross after years of mtn bike racing and have been researching tubular wheelsets as I hear they are the best in terms of weight, handling etc. for cross. Unfortunately, I am on a budget and cannot go with carbon right out of the gate. I've found a set of used 2011 Hed Ardennes CL ... Read More »