Kestrel EMS Pro SL Carbon Kevlar Handlebars

3.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Nik

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2013

Strengths:    Very light and look great on my Cervélo R5 SL 'Sastre Black & Yellow Team Bike'

Weaknesses:    Cracked around 7,000k riding. (1.5 years)

Bottom Line:
I love the look of these handlebars on my Cervélo R5 SL and they are super light as the bike weighs 13.85 lbs. Even the size of these handlebars is perfect for me during my century rides. While riding down a steep mountain in Walnut Creek, CA -- I felt the bars abruptly drop while doing 92km or 57 mph. Very scary as I held the bike steady and kept myself from crashing. Once I slowly arrived to a comfortable stop, I noticed the bars had cracked badly near the stem.

I'm not going to bother to call the manufacturer, but instead go back to 3T and ensure my peace if mind based on 3 years of problem free riding with 3T on my S1 Cervélo. My safety is priceless!

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R5 SL with SRAM Red and Fulcrum Zeros

Submitted by chris a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2011

Strengths:    light and stiff

Weaknesses:    potentially dangerous, even fatal. after sales service is pathetic.

Bottom Line:
bars failed, snapped about 1 and half inch above the brake levers. potentially very dangerous consequences. very disapointing. sent back to kestral, after sales for this product, non existant,, they were not interested at all. they showed no concern for the customer in any way at all. they kept the bars, never returned them , no replacement offered. i would like to add i followed the assembly instructions to the letter, and still kestral weren`t interested

Favorite Ride:   look

Similar Products Used:   alloy bars , various makes

Submitted by mtnbkrkv1 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, very light, quality, warrantee, vibration damping, dual cable grooves for Campy.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I will make this short and sweet!

Favorite Ride:   any crit

Purchased At:   The Bike Shoppe in O

Similar Products Used:   ITM K Sword, Easton Equipe(cracked)

Bike Setup:   Scott CR1 limited, SRM, Campy, Zero Gravity brakes, Rolfs, much more.

Submitted by Juanmoretime a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    Life time warranty. Very light and stiff. You can't use an aero bar, although they do make a heavier version for that. The penalty for being a weight weenie.

Weaknesses:    Some may say price although not for what I paid for it.

Bottom Line:
This replaced a 3T Prima 199, the replace it every two year part on my bike. Light at 180 grams and stiffer than the Prima 199. Seems to do well absorbing road shock.

Favorite Ride:   Any outdoors

Purchased At:   Wisecyclebuys

Similar Products Used:   3T, many Cinelli's, Syncros

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Vortex, full Record 10 speeed.

Submitted by Chainstay a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff from the tops, extremely light, comfortable on the drops. Traditional shape

Weaknesses:    Very Expensive. A stiffer bar on the drops would be more suitable for Eric Zabel types

Bottom Line:
I put these bars on at the same time as a Reynold Ouzo Pro fork so it's hard to say how much, if anything is the bars but my ride is smoother (less buzz and more shock dampening)and stiffer and lighter compared to the previous set-up of Al bars, quill stem and carbon fork with a steel steerer I like the traditional shape of the bars and they are very very stiff across the top. On the drops they have much more verticle movement over bumps compared to the Deda Al I had before. It's very comfortable on the drops. If I sprinted off the drops I would probably not want these bars but they work well for 4 -5 hour rides, Finally if you want carbon because of the looks it's a waste, so little shows under the computer and HR mounts that nobody notices.

Favorite Ride:   NW of Holland Marsh, ON