Ritchey Pro BioMax Handlebars

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

• Store Price

-back top, ergo-bend drops. Triple-butted aluminum. Width: 42 or 44 cm.

Submitted by dwilson84 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2009

Strengths:    1) Relaxed drops with bend
2) Great hood space
3) feels smooth over long rides
4) Compliments Cork bar tape very well

Weaknesses:    1) Could have a little longer drops for more hand positions, but a proper seat height will put you right in the drops.

Bottom Line:
These bars came stock on my new 2008 Jamis Eclipse. They are very ergonomic and feel great on long rides of 70+ miles. I went over a few rail road tracks, some rough roads, and rumble strips and could hardly feel any vibration at all. I do have carbon forks on my bike so that helps to smooth things out as well. The drops can be a little tricky to hang on to when climbing but you should be in the drops on a climb anyway thats what the hoods are for the bend is perfect on the top of the bars makes riding the hoods very comfortable on my Ultegra STIs.

Favorite Ride:   Rolling Hills

Purchased At:   CycleLogic

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Carbon C2

Bike Setup:   2008 Jamis Eclips, Ultegra SL 10spd, FSA Carbon Crankset 50-34 compact, Easton EC70 Carbon Forks, Mavic Wheelset.

Submitted by NorCal_RS a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent value, nice finish, good fit for my big hands.

Weaknesses:    I would prefer the drops to be just a bit longer at the end so that I could have one more hand position - but the bars are so comfortable in the drops compared to most that this is a minor complaint.

Bottom Line:
I have large hands and many of the ergo bars don't fit my grip well because they are too small. This bar fits me very well - the ergo 'bump' is well shaped and actually works on this bar - the best ergo bar I have had.

The compact design makes for a very comfortable ride.

The swept back tops fit my hands / wrists well - just enough for comfort but not too much that they look funny.

Stiff enough for country road riding.

Favorite Ride:   Any country road

Similar Products Used:   Cinelli / Deda / 3T / Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Cervelo RS

Submitted by pdtoast a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
So close, yet so far.
The Biomax handlebars do a few things really well:
1.) Short reach distance (75mm). I like my handlebars to be set up so I can ride comfortably on the hoods, yet when I put my hands on top for climbing it doesn't feel like I am sitting bolt upright. The short reach on these bars achieves that. You can have a comfortable position on the hoods, yet still have a slight forward lean for power when climbing.
2.) Shallow drop. Like most cyclists, I like to ride in the drops on long descents, but not with my knees banging into my throat.
3.) Flared-back flats/tops. Why haven't other companies figured this out? If you hold your hands out in front of you and make a fist, you'll see that your wrists naturally want to be angled out a few degrees. Yet most handlebar makers angle their bars the other way, citing the (nonexistent) benefit of "elbows out promotes better breathing." The slight back angle on the Biomax bars offers a great (and powerful) hand position for climbing.

HOWEVER: A couple of big problems:

1.) The "ergo" bump is waaaay overdone and actually becomes painful on long descents or periods in the drops.

2.) The radius of the bar's curve into the drops is poorly designed... if you set up your shifters such that they are comfortably upright (for riding on the hoods), you'll have difficulty reaching the brake levers when you are riding in the drops.

Submitted by spinordie a Road Racer from Lehi, UT USA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Strengths:    Comfy, stong, light

Weaknesses:    Need a carbon fork so it removes any vibration

Bottom Line:
Stong enough to sprint with and feel safe, but light enough to keep the bike climbing. The "Bio" fittings make a significant difference on longer rides. It is aluminim so you definately need a carbon fork to remove all vibration. Comfy.

Favorite Ride:   Alpine Loop