Chris King No Thread Set Headset

What can be said about the NoThreadset. Probably a fair number of your riding buddies have them. They last nearly forever. Most of us have moved the same King headset from frame to frame. Winter after winter without ever taking the seals out to clean the bearings. When properly installed, going beyond the 10 year warranty is normal for a King Headset.

Submitted by AVO a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2008

Strengths:    Looks nice. The cups/bearings are solid.

Weaknesses:    o-ring design is terrible
over priced

Bottom Line:
CK nothreadset are nice looking, and the cups are well built. The design is terrible. The o-ring is fairly worthless. I have to constantly (every week) adjust the headset to remove wobble. Cane creek holds patents that force CK to go in a different direction and use the o-ring instead. They'll keep selling it as viable, but, they also tell you to replace it once a year.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   cane creek, fsa

Submitted by VArider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2008

Strengths:    Solid construction
Long life (I can see it outlasting the bike!)

Weaknesses:    Price, but I guess you get what you pay for

Bottom Line:
The 1" came on a used Kestrel 200Sci I bought in 1999. No idea how long it was on the bike as the LBS believe the bike is one of the first models with a threadless headset that Kestrel made. When I purchased a Kestrel 300EMS frame and fork in 2003 the CK was one of the items I used in build-up. With 20K miles on that bike and no telling how many on the older one I would not buy anything else. By comparison I purchased a used QR with an Aheadset. I ride that bike about 4X a month and the headset is about gone. First time I have ever seen a headset go bad. I am replacing this year with a CK.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride on open road with good weather

Similar Products Used:   Aheadset

Bike Setup:   Kestrel 300 EMS with DA racing triple, Mavic rims/DA hubs,Richey HB/Stem and Concours Lt saddle

Submitted by ejprez a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2008

Strengths:    Looks, Bling Factor, Impresses the Common rider.
Great bearings and cups.

Weaknesses:    Creaks and Clunks, must maintain that part of the maintenence free headset. Bearings will last forever.
Over Priced.

Bottom Line:
I have had two of these headsets, a 1" on my road bike and 1 1/8 on my mountain bike. I thought the headset was nice and quality built, but I think the price is too much. I do agree that the headset is not perfect and is over hyped. I have the King hubs too, and think the DT 240 and Shimano XTR and Dura ace are better for the money.

To be honest King is not the King of headsets, cane creek the creators of the threadless headset are. Hope has a headset that rivals the Cane creek 110, both are better than the King. Can't beat a 110 year warranty.

I did experience the creeking and clunking of the King headset, I used to think it was my Suspension fork on my mountain bike or the Bottom Bracket, and my Bottom Bracket on my road bike making the noise. For the price that's unacceptable.

I've been using integrated headsets on my newer bikes, and haven't had any problems at all, and they are worth less than half the price of the King. Oh, and they are Cane Creek. For all that King touts on their site about the inferiority of the integrated headset, you'd think they would at least fix the creaking and clunking.

Favorite Ride:   Presque Isle

Purchased At:   Countrysidecyclng.co

Similar Products Used:   Aheadset, Cane Creek S2, S3, S8, Solos, IS-8i, FSA intergerated, Campy integrated.

Bike Setup:   Fuji SL-1, Full Sram Red, Zipp 404, Carbon bar, post, yada yada yada.

Submitted by mxer505 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    You can service them with out having to buy new bearings. They feel super smooth and look great.

Weaknesses:    The price is more than most other headsets. But you get what you pay for. A headset that could last.

Bottom Line:
Great product from a great company

Favorite Ride:   Just walking out the front door

Similar Products Used:   Cane Creek, FSA

Submitted by gearfreakNY a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Strengths:    Black Anodized Aluminum, Quality, Reliably

Weaknesses:    Chris King Warrantee Department: they SUCK big time, lifetime warranty forget it! I purchased a Titanium NoThreadset it was super sexy, super cool, heaver than the Aluminum, but when professional installed the Titanium headset and the Ti crown brace when rode up hill it creaked loudly, that is unacceptable for $250.00 headset. So bye Aluminum ONLY!!! Trust me it took Chris King a whole year to deal with it, they didn’t want to help me at all. I fought to get my money back and purchased a Aluminum NoThreadset. CK makes a great well-made product, but watch out for a company that has a lifetime warranty and refuse to stand by a brand new product!

Bottom Line:
Bye Aluminum ONLY!!!

Purchased At:   Carl Hart Bicycles