Chris King Threaded Headset Headset

4.95/5 (43 Reviews)

• Store Price

Metal-sealed cartridge bearings. 1" or 1 1/8"

Submitted by arman a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    zero

Weaknesses:    cost? this is a joke for a headset that last so long, it is like an, heirloom.

Bottom Line:
it is a pity that i cannot use a chris king headset on my road bike, it has a hidden headset, if there is such a thing as a perfect bike component, the chris king head set, is the one, i purchased by chris king headset as an upgrade to my 1994 specialized stumpjumper, i have had 4 bikes since then, sold the bikes, but kept the headset, it still works flawlessly

Favorite Ride:   merlin xlm

Purchased At:   roadbike review ad

Similar Products Used:   factory installed, cane creek, specialized

Bike Setup:   2001 merlin xlm

Submitted by Veronikafan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2007

Strengths:    Best headset money can buy
Virtually bombproof and maintenence-free

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
The Rolls-Royce of bicycle components is the Chris King headset. Those that balk at the high price are fools. No one who owns one of these regrets spending a few extra bucks for a component that is so critical for the safe operation of a bicycle, that once properly installed, is virtually bombproof and maintenence-free for the lifetime of the frame. My first one went 8 years before I was even tempted to open up the seals and see if there was any contamination of the bearing grease, and there was none. it still looked new inside after 20,000 miles. I would not even consider any other headset after owning a King.

Favorite Ride:   Hunterdon County, NJ

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace 7400, Tange

Bike Setup:   1999 Litespeed Classic, LOOK LDS fork, Cinelli bar & stem, Turbo Matic saddle, Dura Ace 9 speed group, hand built tubulars

Submitted by z ken a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2007

Strengths:    purty
well design
cool colors ( different choices, mine is red )
smooth handling
no need to maintain/clean
lifetime warrenty??

Weaknesses:    absolutely none

Bottom Line:
some said the finest bike component ever made?? could be and gotta rank up there along with Ultra Bora, FSA's Plasma and Giro's Atmos. it's smooth handling, great looking ( red ) and no need to clean/maintain. of course a bling machine.

Similar Products Used:   cane crek s2

Submitted by seth a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Strengths:    light, pretty, they still comes in wonderful colors. no need to think about it except, perhaps, in admiration. GOOD customer service.

Weaknesses:    moron + screwdriver = damaged bearings

Bottom Line:
where to begin. I first spotted one of these headsets 13 or 14 years ago on a fellows Davidson that lead some local group rides. his equipment was already a couple of years old at that point. Well, 5 or 6 years later I was hard up for a ride and bought said Davidson off of him. I rode and rode and rode. I sold the frame awhile back having slapped the headset onto a cyclocross bike that I raced for a time. I'm still using the same damned headset on my commuter bike. I really don't expect to find myself without that particular headset on one bike or another for some time to come. I even used it for messengering and the potholes that are involved.
Oh...and another thing. One time, I was too eager trying to build up a bike that I damaged the bearings with a screwdriver. All I had to do was bring my bike down to the LBS looking suitably contrite and they shipped the poor chris king back to the factory for some new bearings for FREE! I have one on my MTB, road bike and commuter. If only all components were like this.

Similar Products Used:   stronghlight,yst(7 dollars...you really can't complain),stx,mavic,campy chorus,ritchey

Bike Setup:   no name spray painted commuter special with Mafac cantis, Mavic Cosmic wheels and a busted ass drivetrain.

Submitted by Jim a Road Racer from Toronto, ON

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2003

Strengths:    Smooth, tough, and oh so killer looking too, and the fact that people look at you like you're the shiz with this thing doesn't hurt either

Weaknesses:    This thing ain't weak... the guy next to you on the trails, riding whatever cheap ass headset he's riding, now THAT is weak

Bottom Line:
For years, I'd heard the hype surrounding King's headsets, and a few days ago, I finally succumbed and bought one of these bad boys. For what it cost, I didn't initially expect it to perform as good as it was selling for, but man, the first ride I went on after having it installed, I was in bike nirvana! Velvety smooth steering, no more creaking and rubbing of the steer tube, I could go on and on, this thing kicks ass :)