Bontrager InForm RL Saddles

3.6/5 (10 Reviews)

• Bontrager Science of Comfort blends three elements for a perfect riding experience: performance, design and comfort
  • 3 widths of saddles allow perfect match to your sit bones
  • Rear curvature of saddles is customized based on saddle size for optimal seating support
  • Custom Tuned Shell for support and comfort
  • Superlight Bontrager ZONE DENSITY foam puts the support and the compliance in specific zones where it's needed
  • Graphics are optimized to be away from high friction zones during riding
  • Hollow stainless steel rails

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Scooter a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2010

Strengths:    Durable enough, good price, light weight, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    some scuffing on the front from botched cyclocross mounts. Must wear cycling shorts for best results.

Bottom Line:
    Most comfortable race saddle I've ever ridden. I use it for Cyclocross too. Not very comfy if you don't use cycling shorts or bibs. Spreads your body weight well without hot-spots and pinching if you get the right size.

Favorite Ride:   Iowa back roads

Purchased At:   World of Bikes

Similar Products Used:   WTB silverado, WTB rocket V, Fizik Arione, stock bontrager road saddle

Bike Setup:   Salsa podio
    Thompson seatpost and stem

Submitted by sharkey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable.
    Non-obtrusive to pedal stroke.
    Rewards flat, aggressive position or getting in drops.

Weaknesses:    Fussy to set up (In my case I had to throw out all of my pre-conceptions about saddle setup and start anew).
    Slightly different area of contact may require some getting used to.

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden many, many different saddles, some for just a half hour before I knew it wasn't going to work, and some for months, or even years, before I began searching for something that I liked a little better. I originally purchased a bontrager inform R for my commuter bike. I rode it for my 30 mile round trip commute for the last 6 months or so. My initial impressions were that it was a "good" saddle . . . ok for my commute but not quite comfy enough for the long distances I do on weekends. Then, almost by accident, I visited the bontrager website and read the part where is says to set up the saddle absolutely level. As I normally set up my saddles with a very slight downward angle (or just the nose of the saddle level), I decided to follow their instructions to see if it made a difference. Once I leveled the saddle, the true comfort of the saddle was immediately apparent. Once I had the inform R saddle dialed in properly (level, fore/aft, etc.), I immediately went out and bought an RL for my weekend bike. It is absolutely the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden. The RL replaces the coveted and highly rated Fizik Aliante (a close second in comfort). The Bontrager saddles require a bit of tinkering to find the right setup, and I encounterd a bit of a break in period because you do tend to sit on it differently than other saddles - rather than directing all of your weight onto your sit bones (I used to get two very pronouced hot spots on my sit bones with other saddles),the bontrager rewards rolling your hips forward and keeping a flat position on the bike. Your center is rolled forward (apparently onto the pubic rami as the bontrager marketing might suggest), but there is no one place that seems to be a "hot spot". It does seem to effectively spread out your weight over a larger area - It feels like it was custom molded for my bottom with absolutely no discomfort to my soft tissue. Super comfortable, but it is definitely a race oriented saddle - because it rewards an aggressive, flat position, and because the shell is very firm. That said, riders who do not have many years on their legs (or bottoms) may find the transition a little harder. It is a well made, well designed product, and a relative bargain at $100.

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Aliante, Fizik Pave, Specialized Toupe, Specialized Alias, Selle San Marco ERA, Selle San Marco Regal, Flights, Serfas Lola and some others

Submitted by nerdbot5000 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2009

Strengths:    - Comfortable
    - Cheaper than most high-end saddles
    - multiple widths

Weaknesses:    - Uncomfortable (hard) before breaking in

Bottom Line:
    I feel like I can't go too in-depth on this subject, since I don't have too much experience with other decent saddles, but I tried out a Specialized Toupe and Alias while in the shop and they were way less comfortable for me than the RL. The Toupe and Alias felt like they were focusing all of my body's weight onto the sit bones, while the R and RL seemed to distribute the weight across a wider area, and felt much more comfortable because of it. I have very narrow sit bones, and I'm extremely skinny (no natural "cushion"), but the RL offers enough padding to keep me comfortable. However, the first week with this saddle left my butt sore, as it feels very hard at first, but after about 2 weeks, the saddle was very comfortable. Overall, I'm very happy with this saddle, especially for the price, and I'll probably be buying another for my new build.

(misc note: Tri-Sport is the best shop in Fresno. I went to a couple others, and Tri-Sport was the only place that let me try out any of the saddles being sold. The worker there fit me on my bike and switched out saddles for me, even a little past closing hours, and then cut 30 bucks off the MSRP -- awesome service.)

Purchased At:   Tri-Sport

Similar Products Used:   I've only really ridden 2 saddles before this one. One of them was a stock saddle that was terribly uncomfortable for anyone who rode on it, and the other, which the RL replaced, was a ridden-to-death Selle Italia Flite, which I bought used for 5 bucks.

Bike Setup:   Leader 735R road bike converted to a fixed gear, Fuji carbon road fork, IRO wheels (made by Kinlin), Conti Gatorskins, Easton EA70 bars

Submitted by JasonJ a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2009

Strengths:    Good shape for wider sit bones, decent padding

Weaknesses:    None really -- just make sure the seat is positioned front-to-back where it should be for your sit bones and riding style

Bottom Line:
    Great saddle. I was riding Specialized Avatar 143s on all my rides, but after back-to-back centuries my butt was killing me. It turns out I needed a wider saddle and my LBS gave me a great deal on the RL - in white to match my bike -- and on the next century I was pain free.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Avatar, Selle Italia Gel Flite

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain 70 ST w/9-speed Ultegra, FSA bars and cranks, Thompson stem/seatpost, DT Swiss wheels, Quattro SL pedals, InForm RL saddle, Continental GP 4-season rubber

Submitted by Hairy-legged roadie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2008

Strengths:    Very cool looking saddle, reasonably light weight.

Weaknesses:    The plastic shell is too rigid. Quality control needs work. The cover glue attachment on the underside was coming loose before testing the saddle on a ride. Typical of most saddles from the Far East.

Bottom Line:
    This saddle might work for younger men (say 40 or younger), but is definitely not a good choice for older men. That soft padding in the nose area has an unforgiving hard shell under it. I tested this saddle on my routine 35 mile loop,stopped @ mile 11 & adjusted the nose down another 1.5 degrees (like you'd do with a Fizik Arione), didn't help, aborted the ride and headed for home. If Bontrager modified this saddle with a middle cut-out (like Specialized), they might have a tolerable saddle. Also, a 146mm Inform RL fits like a 130 mm saddle. Mine now lives in a spare bike parts box. Gone back to a Terry Falcon Y. Sorry Bontrager.

Favorite Ride:   Pleasant Valley road/Cantelow Hill

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Arione, Terry Falcon Y, numerous Specialized saddles.

Bike Setup:   2008 Felt F4 with Campagnolo Record gruppo. Easton Orion II wheelset.

Bontrager Inform RL Shoe Problem

I got a used pair of 2012 Bontrager Inform RLs, from eBay for a steal. After about 900 miles - I noticed the cleat threads inside the carbon soles came unbonded and the cleats now have too much scary "float." What can you suggest I do to repair this? I hate to toss them, because they are practic ... Read More »

anyone able to compare the Bonty Inform RL and the Antares?

I know these are saddles in two different weight/price classes, but I'm wondering if anyone's ridden both and describe how they compare? Thanks!Read More »

Know where a girl can buy a Bontrager InForm RL WSD Saddle -or- RL FIT in 160mm??

Hello all, I am new to this forum and a newbie who just bought an '07 Lemond Buenos Aires and I need to get a new saddle for it. I was hoping some of you ladies would have recommendations or could advise if any of you have found or tried the Bontrager InForm RL WSD -or- the RL FIT saddl ... Read More »

Interested in bontrager Inform RL saddle..

I am looking for a new saddle. I currently have the bontrager race saddle and think it has too much meat on it. What do people think of the inform RL saddle? I was measured to see which seat I would need (narrowest of the 3 for me) but haven't used one yet. What do you guys think of the saddle? I ... Read More »

Bontrager Inform RL saddle..

I currently have the Bontrager race on my bike stock. Looking to go to the Inform RL. Anyone have experience with this saddle?Read More »