Bontrager Race Lite Saddles

• Unconditional Comfort Guarantee
  • Hollow Stainless Steel Rails

Submitted by Dick Elwood a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2011

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I sold my 2005 Madone 5.2 early this year and bought a 2010 (the last US made). I replaced the stock Bontrager saddle on my old bike and assumed I would do the same on my new bike. I thought I'd first give the Bontrager a chance and was surprised that it is actually quite comfortable. I've ridden a 1000 miles I don't see any need to change it, at least for now. It works for me.

Favorite Ride:   Wisconsin Centurion

Purchased At:   Trek Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco Aspide

Bike Setup:   2010 Trek Madone 5.2

Submitted by Scott Ayler a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2008

Strengths:    Price is fair, good padding.

Weaknesses:    Poor workmanship.

Bottom Line:
This seat came with my Madone. It is fine for fitness riding, but accordingly to the dealer I purchased the Madone from (in Zion), there has been many defective saddles that have been returned. I noticed my saddle during a photo session. I drooped on the left side (ever so slightly). Supposively it is covered with a 5 year warranty ... but I still have to be issued a replacement. Very sad.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized SL2

Purchased At:   Spokes

Bike Setup:   Madone has Campy Record, Mavic ES wheels, Continental Force/Attack tires, Race XLite stem, Race Lite handlebars, Look Keo Carbon pedals, Nokon cable system.

Submitted by The Jiggler a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2008

Strengths:    Very comfortable, normal shape (no cut out), nice quality construction.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I originally tried this saddle on a rental bike last summer while I was up in Mt Vernon Washington. I did a 35 mile ride and was instantly in love. When I got back, I decided to try and make my current saddle work (Selle Italia SLK), but could not make it. I finally picked one up on ebay for next to nothing and could not be happier. I have had all sorts of saddles, but nothing seemed to be really comfortable. In spite of the lack of a cut-out, I have no problems with numbness on this thing. I have tried various cut-outs, but they all eventually cause caffing or sores. I have not had a problem with that either.

Favorite Ride:   Coffee Repblic

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Selle Itallia SLK and SLR, San Marco Aspide and Aside Arrowhead, plus lots of other cut out and gel saddles.

Bike Setup:   Custom Steve Rex With Campagnolo Rcord shifters and Cranks, Chorus derailleurs and Proton Wheels.

Submitted by mrpotatohead a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2008

Strengths:    strongly made, light, good looks (temporarily)

Weaknesses:    minimal pressure relief, bony in the wrong places. The wrong saddle for me

Bottom Line:
seat came with bike, it seems to be light and quite well made except for white colouring on sides which started to rub off after 3 rides. Very little in the way of pressure relief therefore ended up numb, sore and tired after anything more than 1 1/2 hrs. Probably would suit some butts but not mine! replaced it with my old velo saddle which cost $5 2nd problems now.

Favorite Ride:   long bays

Similar Products Used:   specialized bg comp, several wtb saddles,

Bike Setup:   trek madone 5.2 2008, standard except dt swiss 1450 wheels..and $5 velo seat!

Submitted by Tom Henderson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2007

Strengths:    None for me.

Weaknesses:    Narrow, hard, no flex, causes numbness.

Bottom Line:
This saddle came with my bike, so I decided to try it out. It was uncomfortable from the beginning. And when I did my first 40 mile ride on it, I had some numbness in the privates area. So this saddle has to go.

I don't have an especially wide butt (34" waist), but I feel like my cheeks are hanging off the edge of it. It might work better for someone who's very narrow in the hips.

Favorite Ride:   Silver Comet Trail

Purchased At:   Local bike store

Bike Setup:   07 Trek Madone 5.2 SL w/Ultegra gears and shifters. Bontrager Race X Lite fork, rims, wheels, seat post.