Bontrager Race Saddles

1.33/5 (3 Reviews)

• Made In Italy By Selle San Marco
  • Cr-Mo or Titanium Rails
  • Cover Available in Black, Grey or Dizzy Izzy / Leather, Perforated Leather or Kevlar

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by brinntache a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2009

Strengths:    Somewhat comfortable, didn't give numbness to my man parts.

Weaknesses:    too narrow, irritates certain soft tissue.

Bottom Line:
    The seat is narrow and curved. So much so that is goes right into you butt. Gave me an external hemmeroid. Might work for someone with narrow sit bones.

Favorite Ride:   Calisle Loop

Purchased At:   Neworld Cycle

Similar Products Used:   selle italia max flite.

Bike Setup:   trek 1500

Submitted by casualrider1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap enough to keep the price of the Trek 1000 down.

Weaknesses:    Very uncomfortable. My weight seemed to be supported not on my sit bones but in between. No matter how my seating position was adjusted, I could not get this seat to be comfortable.

The saddles is way too soft, even for a recreational rider. I ride approx 700 km a year and this was soft by my standards. I did not realize this until I tried a Selle Italia C2 Trans Am and it was comfortable from the beginning. I have done hundreds of Kms on the Selle Italia C2 and this saddle is a dream.

The saddle seems to get very hot and does not allow for much circulation around the seating area, a topic not often discussed in saddle design.

I never wore nicks, but I think that would have made things worse.

The saddle is very high in the middle, hence putting a lot of pressure in between your sit bones.

The side lining of the saddle meant that the very upper part of your thigh in contact with the saddle created a lot of friction during pedaling. This didn’t cause chaffing but seemed to make the bike feel slow (relative to other saddles) and make peddling seem laboursome.

Bottom Line:
    Too soft, even for recreational riders.

Favorite Ride:   Sydney Australia without too much traffic

Purchased At:   Cyclery, Sydney, Aus

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia C2 Trans Am,

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000, 50 cm frame, mostly stock
    Mt31 shoes, spd cleats, m424 pedals.

Submitted by casualrider a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap enough to keep the price down on an entry level bike like the Trek 1000.

Weaknesses:    Very uncomfortable.

I never wore nicks, but I think that would have made things worse.

Bottom Line:
    Too soft even for recreational road riders. Must discard, there are much better saddles out there.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in sydney without too much traffic

Purchased At:   Cyclery, Sydney Aus

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia C2 Trans Am, 2008. A much harder and better saddle, even for recreational cyclists.

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000 stock except:

Mountain bike shoes, cleats and clipless pedals.

50 cm frame
    Rider: 60 kgs, 165 cm tall, male.

Spinergy Xaero Lites, Bontrager Race Lites or Mavic Ksyrium Equipe??

I have a Look 566 that currently has Mavic Aksium's. I'm thinking of getting a new set of wheels and would like input. I don't want to spend a small fortune and I am female, so looks are pretty important :-). I've narrowed my choices down to Spinergy Xaero Lites, Bontrager Race Lites or Mavic Ksyriu ... Read More »

any race cars drivers here training with a bike

I race in SCCA and right now i have been biking twice a week, endurance work out at the gym and weight workout at the gym. I was wondering if there are any other drivers here and what type of program do you train on that helps in the car. ThanksRead More »

get me into race shape for 2014

I would like to be competitive in crit and road racing in 2014. This year, I was mostly packfill, coming in middle of the pack in my races. I think I could make improvements to my strategy and technique, but mostly I need improvements to my fitness. Here's what I have been doing this year: [LIST ... Read More »

Should I stick with my stock Bontrager Race wheels or my custom built's?

I just purchased a 2013 Trek Madone 5.2. It comes stock with Bontrager Race tubeless ready wheels. I have a set of hand built wheels with the following specs: White Industries T11 hubs DT Swiss RR 465 hoops Dt Swiss spokes (steel, not bladed) I had the wheels built for my old road bike which is ... Read More »

Back on Michelin Pro 4 Race: Heaven!

I used to ride the Michelin Pro Race for years, but for reasons I don't remember I switched to a Conti GP4000 about 3000 miles ago. The tire was o.k., and clearly lasted (better than those Michelins, I admit), but it did feel somewhat harsh. So, today (the Conti was starting to show some of its casi ... Read More »