Brooks B17 Special Saddles

The keystone of the Brooks saddle line with a few extra features. The special B17 features mid-size hammered copper rivets copper plated steel rails and chamfered sides. Loops for traditional English-style touring bag. 280mm Length x 170mm Width. 540 grams weights may vary due to leather thickness. Black Honey Green or Brown cover. Made in England.

Submitted by alem?o a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2010

Strengths:    More comfortable than I imagined a bike saddle could be! It´s a true handbuilt masterpiece.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I got the saddle yesterday and did my test/set-up ride today. I´m stoked! Don´t understand the "long break in period" talk. Mine does allready have my sitbones marked on it after a 2 hr ride. Yesterday I used a lot of Proofide on the unfinished (under) leather side of the saddle, until it wasn´t absorbed anymore, then a small amount on top, waited to dry, put a bit more, waited to dry, then polished. Today I used another layer on top, waited, polished and went to ride! I used around 8-10g of Proofide total. The weather might have helped with the break in, as it´s hot (26-32ºC) and moist (no rain 70-85% humidity)around here. Antecipating a hard ride I used some chamois cream and my best cycling shorts. The saddle is VERY sensitive to set-up, and you get an "uneasy" feeling, slippery saddle until you finetune the saddles position/angle. But then... It´s perfect. I forced myself out of the bike as I have to work early, but didn´t feel ANY discomfort at all, not even the usual soreness on the sitbones... Just wanted to keep riding.
That´s why Brooks is still manufacturing theese saddles since the 19th century...

Purchased At:   Chainreactioncycles

Similar Products Used:   WTB Rocket and Silverado, Selle Italia SLR, Fizik Gobi, but none of theese can be considered similar to a Brooks...

Bike Setup:   Ibis Hakkalügi Ciclocross with green Brooks B17 special and lether bar tape

Submitted by Lawrencer2003 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2009

Strengths:    Comfortable right out of the box. Can't wait to see what its like broken in. Beautiful workmanship to go with my Waterford.

Weaknesses:    Its leather so it needs TLC. Heavy if that really matters.

Bottom Line:
Rode a Terry Fly for years. After chafing really badly on the last century, I remembered that I rode a hard leather saddle for years before the succession of high tech saddles ending with the Fly. Mounted this and was instantly comfortable. Great power and NO CHAFING. I'm a believer.

Favorite Ride:   Boston To Cape Cod

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Terry Fly / Flite

Bike Setup:   Waterford RST 22. Centaur 10 with compact. Aksium Wheels

Submitted by fehd a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2009

Strengths:    supremely comfortable, its a brooks

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
when i started workin at the lbs last year, i saw a cool green and copper brooks i had to have for my green bianchi san jose. after a year i have to say it is the most comfortable saddle i have ever had. the green kinda looks pond scum color now, but the copper looks great and it gets more comfortable by the day.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   shop i work at