Fizik Alante Carbon Saddles

4.11/5 (27 Reviews)

The Aliante is the saddle for those who have not yet experienced a custom fit or for those that think they have. It's the enthusiast choice for racing and training, and for those that think they have everything. A favorite of many of our team members, this was also named Bicycle Magazine's Editor's Choice for 2002. Available in three colors with Carbon rails. 175gm

Submitted by Brian a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    Pressure relief, comfort, light

Weaknesses:    I am a little weary of the carbon rails but time will tell.

Bottom Line:
Well, I bought this thing off ebay. I got it and I was a little disappointed by how beat up it was (no fault of the manufacturer) but I guess you get what you pay for. I had the thought to return it but then I put it on my bike and went out for a ride. There is NO way I am returning this thing!! It is incredible. No more numbness! No more discomfort! No more constantly shifting my weight to get past seems. Like floating on air.

Favorite Ride:   local loop

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   stock saddles. never again!

Bike Setup:   Ultegra/tiagra mix. generic aluminum frame w/ vuelta XRPs. It fits me well and I can ride it for hours. That's all that matters to me.

Submitted by carbonconvert a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2010

Strengths:    extremely comfortable, good looking, light

Weaknesses:    I think the profile of the rails could be made a little less to give the saddle a lower profile, but thats just from an aesthetic point of view. Too much space between the rail and bottom of saddle.
Very expensive.

Bottom Line:
After riding a fizik arione cx a year, I could not get used to it regardless of the obsessive adjusting. That thing gave me endless saddle sores. I then tried the toupe and didn't care for that either.It also looked too "made in Taiwan" compared to the Italian brands. The aliante from the first ride was a HUGE difference. The padding is just right and the build details make parting with 200 dollars seem not as painful. I have the new version with the smooth cover and faded graphics. Much nicer than previous years.
Bought it on Ebay and seller threw in fizik micro bar tape.

Similar Products Used:   arione cx, specialized toupe

Submitted by kevin32 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent sit bone support. Provides plenty of surface area to move around on.

Weaknesses:    No cutout.

Bottom Line:
This is for the brand new carbon rail version. A very good saddle with excellent sit bone support. I rode two centuries on it and my sit bones had zero soreness. However, I suffer from numbness and this saddle did little to relieve it. It wasn't terrible and the saddle allowed for adequate shifting to relieve the pressure when it came. Overall I feel that people who don't struggle with numbness will find this to be an excellent match. However, if you suffer significantly with numbness, myself included, I had better luck with saddles that offer a cutout such as Selle Italia and Selle SMP. If only I could marry the two.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Too many to name.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3-SL w/full Campy Record.

Submitted by eisidor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2009

Bottom Line:
Just got this a week ago (Carbon version with K:ium rails), and while I feel it may be over-hyped, it's still a very, very comfortable seat. One of the first things I noticed is that the padding seems to rest on a flexible weave (carbon/kevlar I think). So no matter how hard you press, your sit bones will never touch on hard plastic. I did read some reviews about the saddle eventually sagging on people, and this is probably the drawback to this design.

I also tried the Bontrager RL, and had my sit bones measured at the shop to make sure I had the right width, but that seat was terrible. I also used a Forte Pro SLX for a while. That one wasn't bad, but nowhere near as comfortable as this one (although it was much, much lighter).

It is a slightly heavy saddle, but when you put it in proportion to your total bike weight it's not much. It might add about 1% more weight to your bike than a race saddle would, but I'm not racing.

Favorite Ride:   Palos Verdes

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Trek 2.3 Mostly stock. Garmin Forerunner 305 Bike Computer.

Submitted by iploya a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2009

Strengths:    Ultimate in comfort, for those whose basic anatomy favors the Aliante. Light weight and the Fizik clip for Fizik strapless saddle bags.

Weaknesses:    Thick carbon rails were a little tricker to position on my seatpost clamp, but that may just be a function of my seat post.

Bottom Line:
To be specific, this review is for 2009 Aliante with braided carbon rails. I've owned 5 Aliante saddles and it remains my favorite. It is important to distinguish this one from the cheaper Aliante Gamma, which I have tolerated since it came with my last bike. The braided carbon rail version comes with a larger sweet spot and a carbon-framed, Kevlar-based (yellow) hammock underneath. The Gamma has a plastic frame and a smaller, fiberglass (white) hammock. The Gamma has the same basic shape, but when I upgraded to the carbon version the other day I remembered why I fell in love with the saddle. It was soooo comfy the whole ride. The difference is the larger sweet spot. The saddle doesn't feel softer, but it just conforms to the sit bones and soft tissues better. The Gamma felt OK on first sit, but would create a pressure point after about 20 miles. On top of saddle comfort, the carbon railed version is substantially light. Only odd thing I question is whether the carbon rails are for show -- mine had a small half-inch spot on the end of the rail where it looked like the carbon layer had been broken off to expose a plastic core. Not sure if this is just a carbon wrap, but if the saddle stays together I will be happy.

Similar Products Used:   Aliante Gamma; Arionne.

Bike Setup:   Scott Addict R4; classic road/race setup (no aero bars). Flat stem angle. Clinchers.