Koobi Tri Saddles

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Koobi raises the bar on comfort and performance by taking firm, highly durable foam padding and adding gel to the top. Hollow Ti Rail for a frugal 225 grams.

Submitted by Mike O a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2012

Strengths:    Very comfortable

Bottom Line:
I have the Koobi PRS Century saddle on my road bike & the TRI saddle on my Tri bike .I have been very pleased with both

Favorite Ride:   2 hour easy

Purchased At:   Koobi.com

Similar Products Used:   Adamo ISM saddle
Stock Trek saddle

Bike Setup:   Cervlo

Submitted by Herbie Helmest a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2011

Strengths:    comfort, looks, shape, suspension (tune-able)

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I've used the Koobi PRS Tri saddle in 4 ironmans & numerous other tris. The PRS suspension really takes the bite off the usual harsh ride my aluminum frame gives out. The comfort of the saddle is uncomparable (& I've used a lot of saddles thru the years). They're handmade in Italy by Sella Italia and the quality is better than anything you'll find anywhere, especially in the various Taiwanees copies (Adamo, et.al). It has super hi quality leather topped with a gel (I believe). It's just the right amount of padding for hard riding, yet with amazing comfort. You can pay a lot for this saddle, but it's worth it. I know guys that have purchased several cheaper saddles looking for the right one and in the end if they'd just started w/ a Koobi tri they'd have spent a lot less money.

Favorite Ride:   Banff parkway

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   sella Italia, brooks,

Bike Setup:   Leader TT.

Submitted by John Culver a Triathlete from Evergreen,CO

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2003

Strengths:    Comfort on relatively long time trials.

30 day return policy.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
While I understand that saddle fit and comfort is very individual, I do not understand the incredibly low marks a few reviewers gave this saddle. I am a 6'3", 215lb. clydesdale triathlete who has never had any serious crotch discomfort or dysfunction riding in a standard road position. However, I have had lots of trouble getting my crotch comfortable in the aero position- I went through four fittings and several top of the line saddles (Terry Fly, Selle Italia SLR, etc.) and could never eliminate the overwhelming crotch pain (and relatred malfunctions) resulting from the aero position. It was so bad that I considered giving up on that position altogether and just racing in a standard road position. Fortunately, before giving up, I tried the Koobi (the 30 day return policy helped) and my problem has been solved. The combination of the split fit and the extra padding in the nose make for for a pain free ride. I just finished a half ironman on it and the plumbing is still in working order (the last time I did that distance on my Terry, I was in agony for three weeks and needless to say my wife was a little bummed).

Favorite Ride:   squaw pass

Purchased At:   on-line fro Koobi

Similar Products Used:   See comments.

Bike Setup:   Moots VaMoots, Record, Zipp 303's, Profile aer bars.

Submitted by Adam Young a Triathlete from London, UK

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Strengths:    Nice padding (perhaps a little deeper & softer than some).
Nice and light.

Weaknesses:    Not as pretty as the rest of the Koobi range - pretty dull grey colour.
Quality rarely comes cheap.

Bottom Line:
This is the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden in a low-ish position on tri bars. It seems to have just the right amount of cushioning in just the right place. I've ridden approx 1000 miles with it on my race bike, mostly in races / hard training sessions, and I rarely notice it's there. In a sitting up position it feels quite unusual, as it seems to give support quite wide on the glutes with nothing in the middle, but this seems to encourage blood flow, and I found it quite comfortable.

I read the previous reviews and was very surprised how negative they were, especially comments on durability. The logo's worn off, but apart from that it still looks new.

I'm 1.88m and 73kg in race trim (6'2" 162lb for our US friends!), pretty lean guy, but quite wide hips (85cm (34") waist).

Raced many olympic / half IM on it. Planning to ride IM France on it this year, saddle comfort is the least of my worries!

Purchased At:   Cycle Surgery, Londo

Similar Products Used:   Most of the Selle Italia range.

Bike Setup:   Low TT / Tri bike, 76 deg seat angle.

Submitted by Nao a Triathlete from Pullman, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2002

Strengths:    Materials
Weight

Weaknesses:    Fitting
Padding
No flexibility

Bottom Line:
I replaced from Koobi Au (1st production from Koobi), and was very disappointed with Tri's fitting and padding. This saddle did not fit me any positions. I am a small rider (5'8", 137 lbs), by the way. Koobi claimed "Tri" is specific for triathlons or time trials, but it was so uncomfortable with or without aerobars. Old Koobi Au was much better products for me. Saddle preference is quite personal, but you could buy better products less than $100.

Favorite Ride:   Local Rolling Hills

Purchased At:   Koobi.com

Similar Products Used:   Koobi Au, Selle Italia Flite & Flite Gel, Selle San Marco Aspide (current)

Bike Setup:   Bridgestone NoeCot Medium 54cm with 7402 & 7700 Dura Ace components. Profile Carbon Stryke brackets with Carbon X extensions on Deda 215 drop bar.

Why tri-spoke Hed3?

It's a mystery to me why even well-resourced teams, like Sky Procycling, would continue to use the "old school" tri-spoke wheels. Test reports I've read, including this 18 month old test from German TOUR magazine, [URL="http://www.tour-magazin.de/services/qtr/epaper_4_2011/#/96"]TOUR QTR 4-2011[/UR ... Read More »

Convert Y-foil for Tri use- seatpost angle question

I picked up a Y-foil from a friend for a good price. Always wanted a beam bike. Currently setup with drop bars on quill stem. It's my size (at least in top tube length), although the seatpost angle is 72. I am interested in converting to Tri use, with a steeper angle. (Yes, I know this a UCI ba ... Read More »

Tri-State Trek

Good morning guys and gals, I'm delighted to say that I took part in the Tri state Trek from Newton MA to Greenwich CT this weeked. 270 miles to try to find a cure for ALS. It was a great event, really well managed and I met a lot of cool people. I rode my first century on Friday in crazy hea ... Read More »

2013 Madone 5.9 Seatmast cap alternatives for Aero/Tri Bar set up

I have a 2013 madone 5.9 which has a Bontrager Ride Tuned Carbon seatmast cap, 20mm offset. I'm looking to add some aero bars for a tri event and want to get a more upright position with a forward/zero offset seat position. Does anyone know of any solutions that will work with the madone? Seems m ... Read More »

TT vs Tri frame - difference?

What's the difference between a Time Trial and Triathalon bike. I've been thinking about checking out TT competition and have been researching bikes. I see both types of bikes but couldn't tell you the difference if any. Could someone explain, perhaps?Read More »