Performance Forte Pro Saddle Saddles

Submitted by m_s a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    Light, decent shape, cutout works. Good for racing, especially crits and cyclocross.

Weaknesses:    Not very strong, probably not good for long rides for most people.

Bottom Line:
Saddles are obviously subjective. But this one is pretty good for what you pay (almost nothing). It's as light as saddles 4+ times the price. I have no real problems with it, but it's not quite comfy enough for 50+ mile rides (for me). I had it on my geared cross bike, and it was a perfect race saddle. Light, reasonably comfy, and narrow enough to stay out of the way when I needed it to. Unfortunately I bent the rails in one race, but I'm a sloppy remounter and I also had it pretty far back on the rails for fit (long legs).

The good news: I returned it at Performance and got another one, which is still going strong. Yeah, maybe that's an abuse of their return policy, but as a former P. employee, that's the risk they take with a generous return policy. The saddles probably cost them 10 dollars anyways.

Currently I have it on my fixie which doesn't see rides of longer than maybe 40 miles, and it's good there.

If you like SLRs, you'll probably like this one ok

Favorite Ride:   Historic Columbia River Highway

Purchased At:   Performance (duh)

Similar Products Used:   SLR, lots of WTB stuff on my mountain bikes, some San Marco POS.

Bike Setup:   SS/FG Bianchi Volpe
K2 geared cyclocross bike

Submitted by crashtx1 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, cheap price, comfortable on short rides.

Weaknesses:    Saddle sores on long rides.

Bottom Line:
The stock Bontrager on my Trek was very comfortable, but did not have a cut out to avoid numbness, so I decided to try the Forte Pro SLX. The saddle seems like a bargain for what you get, and I found it very comfortable, especially considering how light it is. However, on rides over 50 miles I found that I am getting saddle sores. I use good shorts, lube, etc, and nothing helps. I'm going to switch to a Specialized seat and hope for better results.

Favorite Ride:   Trek 1000

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Trek 1000 pretty much stock.

Submitted by dirt-challenged roadie a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2006

Strengths:    Light; cheap; great race saddle

Weaknesses:    A little too firm for longer (3+ hours) rides

Bottom Line:
Bought two! Used one until it was fraying at the edges. Great, light saddle. Not as much fun for long rides and a little hard on the female phsyique.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200 WSD

Submitted by chessie254 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    seems well built and very light

Weaknesses:    if your backside is a little wider....get a saddle that is a little wider!

Bottom Line:
Purchased this saddle as it had good reviews here and at other boards. However it just did not fit me. The saddle is narrow and my backside is not narrow enough for this saddle.

Favorite Ride:   Any at all