Ritchey WCS Marathon Saddles

Ritchey WCS Marathon Saddle Ti Rails: Using the same low profile design and narrow shell as the Streem, the Marathon offers more padding for longer road rides and MTB use. 35% carbon injected shell for stiffness and light weight...

Submitted by wily_quixote a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2011

Strengths:    Amazing comfort, fairly light, reasonably cheap, looks sleek and modern, robust. Same shape as slr but very, very comfortable. No chafing despite readonable padding, dut to narrow sleek design. Good shell flex equals comfort on terrible roads. Best saddle i've tried.

Weaknesses:    Weakness is that i now feel indebted to keep using my expensive selle italia flite ubtil it wears out and i can replace it with the ritchey so that all my bikes have the marathon...

Bottom Line:
This saddle had migrated from my mtb to my roadie and back again. It is an mtb saddle with kevlar edges. It is a very similar shape to the selle italia slr. It differs from the slr by having good shell flex and firm, deep padding at the rear. To give context, i tend to use it on my mtb for endurance marathon races and move it to the road bike for long rides. I rarely race road but the marathon does not look out of place when i do. I ride a cannondale alu which is stiff and i have poor flexibility this sdds up to me needing a saddle with mild curvature, good padding under my ischia and shell flex as my pelvis is canted foreard onto my perineum. The ritchey is comfortable all day.

Purchased At:   wiggle.com

Similar Products Used:   Avocet 40r ( very good but no longer made). Selle italia slr and slr mtb (so hideously uncomfortable but shape is perfect) fizik tundra ( nice...tooflat though) selle italia flite gel flow (very good saddle. Ligjt comfortsble and well made).

Bike Setup:   Cannondale r1000 and giant hardtail mtb and old steel commuter for context for this review.