San Marco Ponza Saddles

3.31/5 (13 Reviews)

The ponza features an essential beauty. This model has been developed on the basis of one of the world's most famous saddles, the San Marco Era, introducing new materials and technical solutions.

Submitted by Richard Parkin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2012

Strengths:    comfortable, attractive, good value, durable (looking), waterproof

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
Needed a saddle for new carbon race bike. Existing one was choked with carbon fibre and was hugely uncomfortable. I wanted a saddle in keeping with the bike's look and performance. Didn't want to shell out too much so bought this in a hurry as it was the only thing that looked to fit the bill. No regrets. No numbness, no discomfort. The saddle still looks racy and not over plush but combined with the rails, together it's a very comfortable set up. Seems sturdy, can't really comment on longevity but it seems like good value.A saddle is a very personal thing. Hopefully I've found a shape that is good for me and am willing to stick to it. For weight obsessives, it is a chunky fellow but at this price, what do you expect?

Favorite Ride:   Dunrobin Glen - Gordonbush, Sutherland, Scotland

Purchased At:   Halfords - Inverness

Submitted by Muscahead2 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2011

Strengths:    fit and finish, looks, strong, water proof, stiff

Weaknesses:    if you want to have children do not buy this, the numbness is extreme if you ride more than 8 hours a week like i do, somewhat on the heavy side, silver color fades after a year of heavy use

Bottom Line:
The saddle was the stock saddle on my cannondale, and while it's not the top of the range saddle, the fit and finish is fantastic

Favorite Ride:   Latigo

Purchased At:   Helen's

Similar Products Used:   specialized toupe pro (great)

Bike Setup:   2009 Cannondale Six 6 w/ neuvation wheels, and specialized toupe carbon saddle (fantastic)

Submitted by Miguel Lott a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2010

Strengths:    Very solid feel, not too much padding or too little. Hits my sit bones perfectly. Nice finish.

Weaknesses:    Might be a little on the heavy side, but who cares unless you're racing professionally, and need a feather light saddle.

Bottom Line:
I have used two of these on two different bikes. They just fit me better than any of the other modern saddles I've tried. I truly believe if you're getting numbness from this saddle you're either sitting too far forward, or your frame may be too small. Both situations will put pressure on the wrong areas IMHO. I feel no pressure at all? I sit far back, and have the saddle tilted ever so slightly nose down.

Favorite Ride:   90's Cannondale

Purchased At:   N/A

Similar Products Used:   E-3 Form Gel(ouch) Specialized Toupe.

Bike Setup:   Mid 90's Cannondale R200, Ponza saddle, Continental tires. Dual pivot RSX brakes, RSX components, down tube 7 speed indexed shifters.

Submitted by fireplug a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Strengths:    overall good value
good balance between softness and firmness
still looks good after 3,000 miles

Weaknesses:    a little on the heavy side
numbness sets in if unable to get out of the saddle every now and then (rollers

Bottom Line:
Saddle came with the purchase of my Cannondale Synapse and Cannondale Six13. In both cases the saddle works fine but does have me shifting around after a few hours. But since I tend to do a lot of climbing out of the saddle it still works out sell. But watch out on rollers. Being planted in the same position allows for numbness to set in after only a short time. I do plan on testing new saddles to see if there is anything out there that I like better.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Cycle City

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Six13

Submitted by J. Allen a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2010

Strengths:    Solid feel and confidience in position. Easy to maneuver about on and you can sit "in" the saddle; rather than feeling like you will slide off the back.

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side, but not drastically. Could use better materials and lighter components/rails.

Bottom Line:
Over 8,000 miles on this saddle in just about 18 months and I have been very pleased with it. Considering it came with my original road bike and I have since transferred it to two upgraded frame purchases, I am very happy with it. This was even more evident recently when my race bike was destroyed in an auto accident while on the rear rack of my Jeep. I borrowed a team mate's extra bike to race until the Insurance company covered my new bike. His saddle was the Fizik Arione. While also a good saddle for crits and short road races, it sets in with pain after about 70 miles. I would give it my third choice behind the Ponza and Fizik Antares.

Favorite Ride:   Bridge To Bridge