Selle Italia Flite Trans Am Saddles

4.03/5 (31 Reviews)

With its streamlined styling and Titanium rail, the revolutionary FLITE saddle gives unmatched performance on or off road.

SIZE 275 X1 39 MM (lxw)
WEIGHT 235(grams +-8%)
RAIL Titanium

Submitted by padudle a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2009

Strengths:    extra width under sit bones, center ventilation

Weaknesses:    out of production

Bottom Line:
I used the Selle Italia Flite Trans Am for at least 5 years. It was the best saddle I ever had in terms of comfort and durability. I always put this saddle on the bike I was riding the most, including a heavily used off-road bike.

Favorite Ride:   commute

Similar Products Used:   tried everything. nothing comes close.

Bike Setup:   flat bar crossover

Submitted by LoneWolf a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2008

Strengths:    Enough padding to cushion, not so much that it's uncomfortable. Perfect for my sit bones. Titanium rails. Quality leather cover. Still cheaper than the rising cost of today's quality saddles.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find; whenever I find the perfect product, it is discontinued by the time I need a new one.

Bottom Line:
Since this saddle is no longer available from Selle Italia, I had to find one new-old-stock on Ebay. I have owned one previously, which will go on my trainer/off-weather bike. I have had a number of saddles in the past twenty years; the only ones that came close was my classic San Marco Concor Superleggera, and the Terry Zero (like the TransAm, but its plastic shell started to sag). I have logged thousands of miles and two cross-state tours, and always been comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   Any shared with friends

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   SM Concor SL, SM Linea, San Marco Era Luxe (*shudder*), SI Flite Gel (ouch), Specialized BG Comp, Terry Zero

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek 2300 custom painted, 63cm
9spd Ultegra with 180mm Dura-Ace cranks & Carmichael derailleur pulleys (soon to be SRAM Red/Force mix)
Thomson seatpost, Deda Newton stem, Ritchey Pro bars, Easton circuit wheels, Look PP396 pedals

Submitted by branman1986 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Strengths:    Comfort, weight*(lighter than most)

Weaknesses:    weight*(not for weight weenies either), took a bit of time to break in

Bottom Line:
This saddle came on my 2004 Giant TCR2. It took a couple hundred miles to break it in properly, but now I won't use anything else. I had no idea how good I had it until I tried a couple other saddles which hurt terribly. This saddle is comfortable for centuries or for racing. I'm going to outfit my other bikes with Trans Am's as well.

Favorite Ride:   anything without hills

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite, Velo(for Fuji), Selle Italia ProGel(or something like that)

Submitted by Pike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, good looks, quality construction.

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable which negates any good things about it. Might as well be sitting on a brick.

Bottom Line:
I have used this saddle only about four times, but that was enough to convince me that it's not for me. I found it uncomfortable as soon as I sat on it. I had a professional "fitting" and he improved it a little. After just 30 minutes though, my bottom gets numb and starts aching. I find myself squirming around on it to get comfortable..but all I get is PAIN. I'm fairly skinny without much natural padding down there, so maybe that's the problem. Off to bike shop to try Fizik Arione (and others possibly).

Favorite Ride:   Coronation Drive

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   A brick!

Bike Setup:   Standard Giant TCR Zero composite.

Submitted by hutch66 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, but not hard. Definitly an all day saddle.

Weaknesses:    Wish they had color combos.

Bottom Line:
When you know the saddle isn't there you know your on a great saddle. This saddle is the best. I never experinced any pain or numbness. This will always be the saddle of choice for me. I can sit on this saddle for a very long time. I can even move around a little for comfort. I'm 5'10 160 lbs it works for me. I don't think this saddle was designed for the large or overweight. No race products are!

Favorite Ride:   The Mountains