Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow Saddles

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The introduction of the Selle Italia Ladies Gel Flow saddle marked the end of men's saddles 'adapted' to suit female requirements. Designed to fully comply with a women's anatomical shape, the Ladies Gel Flow features a specifically shaped shell and diffe

Submitted by d'argo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    Soooo comfortable, even on long rides

Weaknesses:    not durable in hot humid climates

Bottom Line:
I chose this saddle when I was buying my new Specialized Ruby Comp bicycle in Vancouver, Canada about a year ago. I didn't like the saddle that came with the bike, so tried out several and the selle italia felt the best by far. I'm a 50 year old lady who rides 100 to 120 kms most weekend mornings here in warm, humid Singapore, as well as occasional shorter rides during the week. I loved the saddle from the very first ride and never had any chafing or sore spots. That said, after a year of very sweaty riding, the leather is worn right through on both sides where my upper thighs rub a little. I'm thinking of moving it to my Dahon folder which I almost never ride and replacing it with a Bontrager Inform RL women's saddle, which looks a little narrower and might not wear out so fast. But I hate to take a risk with the comfort...

Similar Products Used:   I have a terry liberator on my Trek 520 touring bike which is not as comfortable. Before that I toured and commuted with an Avocet Women's touring saddle which I loved until it seemed to wear out.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Ruby Comp with Ultegra and 105 components

Submitted by CircaRigel a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Strengths:    -great vibration protection, yet firm too
-Open over labial surface, reduces chafing
-decent positioning and cushioning for pelvis
-opening also provides ventilation, reducing saddle sweating.
-DURABLE

Weaknesses:    -A little heavy, but worth the few extra grams for long distance comfort
-could be longer for those who ride hilly terrain to scoot back on

Bottom Line:
While a heavier than men's saddles, it's worth its weight in comfort- especially in distance rides. I've installed it on my Vitus racing bike and have been using it for about 6 months, including on some 50+ mile rides. I have yet to be saddle sore from it. It does a nice job absorbing road vibration and is a decent fit for the woman's wider pelvis. Like the person before me, I too wouldn't mind it being a little longer, though, since I like room to scoot back for more glut power on inclines.

I had a bad crash a couple of weeks ago, and this saddle is also quite durable. It's barely scratched, where other saddles I've had ended up cut and even with chunks missing after less severe accidents.

Favorite Ride:   Lookout Mountain

Shimano Tourney Megarange rear derailleur
Mavic SSC dual-pivot caliper brakes

Submitted by Carmen a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2008

Strengths:    excellent design, comfortable, quality construction,

Weaknesses:    too heavy

Bottom Line:
The best saddle than I have used. I made a race of 2 days (200 miles)and other race of 3 days (280 miles) and was very comfortable.
I used other saddles but after the first 25 miles they were very uncomfortable. I have several cycling friends that they changed to this saddle for the same reason. I am a small person (5'2" 115lb) but I have friendly that weigh more of 200lb and are very satisfied with this saddle.

Favorite Ride:   275 miles ride! (3 days)

Submitted by jester50 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2008

Strengths:    Quality, fits good, just enough cushion without going overboard. Looks good.

Weaknesses:    Heavier at 290g. Could be a little longer for my taste.

Bottom Line:
As a lady rider it's difficult to find comfortable saddles made specifically for us. I took a chance with the Selle Lady for my road bike and have been using it pain free for about a year now. The saddle holds up well and feels good. Its very well made and the leather is holding up nicely, looks new even after a years worth of rides. It required no break in period for me. It feels firm, but not hard...not squishy either...just right.

My only complaint is many lady saddles are a lot heavier than mens, this one included. 290g. The lighter mens saddles are close to 200g. I guess its the extra padding our bums require, but I still hope to see more lighter selections in the future.

I wouldnt mind this saddle being a little longer in length too...but overall its very comfortable for road riding and excellent quality for the buck. I see this saddle lasting me a very very long time. I have yet to find one that matches its comfort.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Mary, AZ

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized dolce

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Allez, dura-ace/ultegra/fsa components.

Submitted by amhey a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2004

Strengths:    Good firm saddle.
Has air underneath the crotch - less sweaty - does not rub.
Sit bones area is reasonably well padded and has holes in plastic for ventilation.

Weaknesses:    No springs under rear like my previous saddles - it may be a good idea to have a "sprung version" for the casual cyclist who occasionally goes on mountain bike trails.

Bottom Line:
I saw this saddle and the design looked interesting with its hole in the middle -When I bought it I thought holes only benefitted men - but was prepared to try it.

I have now done a 57 mile ride on this saddle plus a few shorter rides (6-13 miles). I have been on both rough fire roads in parks and on good smooth roads. I really like this saddle. It is not soft and squishy - which some may like, but it does fit you well and does not rub your soft tissues. My long ride I only had thin hiking shorts - not heavily padded bike shorts and I found it cool to sit on even though the day was hot as the air comes underneath you. My sit bones were very slightly stiff after 57 miles (I do 30+ mile rides about 3 times a year and lots of 15-20 mile rides), but not sore or bruised and I expect that is just because it is the first long ride on this saddle. I really found it amazingly comfortable and would recommend it to anyone that wants a light, firm saddle for a range of biking conditions. I am a 50-year old woman who is reasonably fit.

Favorite Ride:   Portola Valley to end of Sawyer's Creek Trail

Similar Products Used:   I've had many bike saddles in my lifetime - this is one of the best. Not quite as soft as my previous gel saddle, but much less sticky. Won't conform to me as much as a soft leather saddle.

Bike Setup:   Yokota ladies Ahwahnee from 1990s, straight handle bars, 21 speed gripshift Shimano gears, hybrid bike. Tires are the smoothest I could find for a hybrid bike - not too skinny - OK for rough trails, reasonable speeds on pavement. I don't have big springs like a mountain bike - so on a rough trail going downhill the bike can vibrate like crazy!