Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow Team Edition Saddles

• Shell made from 10% Carbon composite
  • Elastomer suspension O shock absorber system

Submitted by brroadie a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2010

Strengths:    Italian design, looks really nice on the bike. Good quality build, lorica, Vanox, you know the drill.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't flex as much as I would like. Kind of tough on the sitbones even with the gel - a lot tougher than my Toupe with no padding but a tiny one.

Bottom Line:
I have two old versions of the Max Flite Gel Flow on my 2 mountain rigs, and they are the most comfortable ever for XC and Enduro rides, so I decided to give it a try for my road bike as well.

Unfortunately the experience was not nearly as good. The shape on the new version was slightly changed, and the sides are a little more downshaped than before, making support for my sitbones hard to find.

It also seems to flex less than my two other SIs, and in the end it just did not work for me. Attempted some short rides, followed by some long rides, lots of tweaking in the position (up/down,tilt,fore/aft) but it only got mildly better. After 40k or so I would always go numb.

Switched back since to my Toupe Ti, still works wonders in its minimalist shape.

Favorite Ride:   Long flats