Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow Saddles

4.53/5 (15 Reviews)

• Store Price

Selle Italia's MAX FLITE Gel Flow uses a suspension system that gives all-over cushioning without any moving mechanical parts. Inserting the rail into a wing located on each side of the saddle creates suspension in the rear of the saddle. With extra gel p

Submitted by Ele

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2012

Strengths:    Nice quality and ride - if it fits you.
Relitively inexpensive for a performance saddle. Comfortable. 290g weight.

Weaknesses:    Could use longer saddle rails.

Bottom Line:
My first impression was, "wow, this saddle is hard!" I thought for sure I'd send it back to Amazon. A few days later, however, the Bontrager InForm saddle I ordered a earlier had arrived. I eagerly opened the box, unwrapped the goods and quickly installed. Only moments into the test ride I immediately thought, "wow, I guess that Max Flite saddle was pretty good after all!"

The Selle Max Flite Saddle is definitely well made. Nice leather, good cushioning, flexy yet firm shell. My only gripes about it are:
1) - it could be a little wider, or at least offered in a wider size, maybe a 153mm wide version – like the Turbomatic.
2) - the saddle rails could be 5mm longer in the rear. Due to my preferred longer crank arm length I quickly discovered that I ran out saddle rail - the saddle is slid as far forward as the rails allow and could still use a little more - the seat posts clamps rear edge is right up against the saddle rails rear "max line". The saddle defiantly has an unusual saddle rail configuration. Be aware though, swapping out our 20mm setback seatpost for a 10mm or 0mm setback seatpost would solve that issue, so it's not really an issue.

The verdict:
Absolutely try before you buy! It's a nice saddle and the 290g weight isn’t even an issue. It's well made, comfortable when you find its "sweet-spot" and a bargain at $135.

Submitted by bill asprelli a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    none to me

Weaknesses:    hard saddle

Bottom Line:
maybe good for around 10 miles or so.. but after that forget it .. its actually one of the most painful ive tried so far.. before you spend the money make sure you can bring it back with no questions asked..!

Purchased At:   rei

Submitted by optonj a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2011

Strengths:    Wide and flat for good sit bone support. Wide enough cut out to allow the perineal nerves and blood vessels to remain unsquished.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy.
A bit spendy.

Bottom Line:
I have tried numerous saddles as I have kept getting numbness in all the wrong places. The specialized romin came the closest but I could still get numb while hunkered down on hard efforts and I never had great comfort.

I have gone on two 35 mile rides and two one hour sessions on the trainer and not a hint of numbness on the Max Flite Gel.
Even though it is a gel it is plenty firm and I am slowly breaking it in. It has gotten progressively more comfortable. Its about 60g heavier than my previous saddle but it is static weight, no big deal.

Similar Products Used:   Specialied romin, toupe, avatar, phenom. Selle italia flite (not wide enough). Selle SMP Glider. Fizik Aliante.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix
Ultegra 6700
Dura Ace 7850 CL-24 Wheels

Submitted by Luis Borque a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable for long rides no numbness and gets even better with time, very durable

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy (not a major issue when you ride long distance)

Bottom Line:
Had this saddle for 2 years on a modified Titanium bike fully equipped with XTR components and top Mavic ceramic wheels, the saddle is comfortable and compatible with my rear end I find I can ride up to 100 miles without any significant discomfort and never felt numbness in the genital area which I find more important than weight. I also have used the Selle Italia Turbomatic Team (carbon rails)on both my Cannondale bikes and found it superior to the Gel flow Max in terms of general comfort although I still use the Gel Flow Max on my commuter bike previously described, in all cases the saddles become more comfortable over time, I rode up to 130 miles on my SuperX Sram Red with the Turbomatic, and felt more than satisfied with the saddle, the original was a Fizik Tundra which was horrible and extremely uncomfortable. I tried the Fizik Aliante on my Rize 2 Lefty and couldn’t get comfortable after 30 minutes of riding although it is a nice looking saddle, for me after trying several saddles over the last 7 years it comes down to 2 options, the Gel Flow Max or the Turbomatic Team, both are very durable and only the letters have faded.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale rize 2 & Cannondale SuperX

Purchased At:   Pecco's

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Aliante, Fizik Tundra, WTB Pure V

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 2009 Rize 2 Shimano XT & XTR, Lefty Fox RL, Crossmax ST, 2011 Cannondale SuperX Sram red, Zipp 303 Easton Stem & Handlebar EC90

Submitted by Dekamate a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Strengths:    Very comfortable for a road bike saddle, looks great and so far is helping the whole perineum situation of numbness and blood flow. Men, look after your perineum!!

Weaknesses:    Only thing is that it doesn't look as sleek as some saddles do, it's fairly big. But I'd rather have comfort and used of my junk than have a slick looking bike.

Bottom Line:
Had the original saddle on my bike when I got it 4 months ago. Bike is 11 years old so it was pretty hard and made my seat bone ache after longer rides.
I researched Selle Italia saddles after a recommendation from a friend to get a Gel seat. Was going to get the C2 as it was cheaper but read reviews that it squeaked and got uncomfortable on longer rides. Many had upgraded to this one.
Had it a week so far and after adjusting the height its really really good

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale R800 CAAD 3