Selle Italia Signo Gel Flow Saddles

3.6/5 (5 Reviews)

• Advanced ergonomic shell conforms to rider's weight shifting
  • Gel Flow gel inserts under sit bones and around cutout
  • Leather top with carbon detail, axial suspension system
  • weight: 230g

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Robotics a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Strengths:    Looks.
    Quality materials.

Weaknesses:    Obviously doesn't fit all people.

Bottom Line:
    I gotta say that I had a real problem with this saddle. I read the reviews, it sounded like a good replacement to my old Selle Flite, and I took it out of the box with anticipation, but it just didn't fit or feel remotely comfortable over any of my four or five 50km rides.

I agree with the other review about the lack of fore/aft concavity - the shape makes the weight all bear on the same spot. I'm very slim - 6-0 and 150 pounds - so I was never putting much weight on it. I also never felt stable on it, I was always kind of slipping forward or back depending on how it was adjusted, and that seemed to be due to the shape.

I'm not going to say it's the worst saddle around, but it's the worst fit I've experienced. I had to get rid of it. I'd say to any potential buyers - make sure you try it out first as it's certainly a fairly unique perch. I haven't noticed many people riding the Signo compared to other Selle saddles, so that may be a sign that they are not suited to everyone's backsides.

I feel strange giving it a score considering it simply didn't fit, but it has to be a 2 since I've never had this problem with other saddles before.

Favorite Ride:   Norton Summit

Various WTB MTB saddles

Bike Setup:   Daccordi Piuma w/ full Campag Chorus

Submitted by guerciottiman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2009

Strengths:    Very comfortable, Bling appeal, wears well, good lifetime, great value

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy at 235g (verified).
    I think Selle Italia have stopped making this saddle - I might just buy a second as back-up.

Bottom Line:
    A terrific saddle! I've been riding on this saddle (the Gel Flow model) for the best part of 2 years and find (for me) it provides a very comfortable ride. I am also a big fan of the Terry Fly saddles and find the Signo to be as comfortable. It also has plenty of Bling appeal too. At the price I paid, it is exceptional value.

Favorite Ride:   any open road

Purchased At:   in Oz

Similar Products Used:   Terry Fly Ti, Specialized phenom 14.3, Selle Italia SLR

Submitted by cdbarber3 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2008

Strengths:    flexible and light with almost no break-in period.

Weaknesses:    none yet...

Bottom Line:
    I bought this because the Specialized Toupe and toupe gel were both good but didn't have enough padding and cut into the back of my legs a bit. This saddle is amazing! It's light, feels like the goodness of the toupe but eliminates the back-of-the-leg sharpness and adds a little more padding. The axial pivot system is only a little noticeable at first but when the saddle get "broken-in" and I ride on longer rides, I really feel it and appreciate it. Thanks Selle Italia! (They should hire me for promos)

Favorite Ride:   Up Hills and back down

Similar Products Used:   Specialized toupe team and toupe gel

Bike Setup:   trek 5200, full ultegra (even wheels)USPS team bike from 1999 Tour de France

Submitted by oily666 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2008

Strengths:    Weight, shape, fit, compliance to pelvic movement, vibration damping and it's one of the best looking saddles around.

Weaknesses:    None, so far.

Bottom Line:
    I tried the popular Fizik Arione and liked it but, for me, there was too much pressure up the middle of the saddle. I bought the Signo in the off season and used it on my trainer. It's shape was very well suited to my "needs". It felt a little like the Arione but I think the cut out made the difference. On the road, I've found it to be better than I thought. At 6' 1" and 168 pounds, I think the Signo is one of the better saddles I've ridden in 34 years of cycling. The saddle does move with you on the bike which is important to me because of some issues that normally cause friction under my right sit bone. This saddle all but eliminates that problem and I can even do 30 mile rides w/o chamois creme. I've also noticed that the Signo does a respectable job of damping out small chops in the road surface. As for mid-western freeze cracks, there's not a saddle made that can help with those. Added all together, I think this is a very good saddle.

Favorite Ride:   With Friends

Similar Products Used:   Pro-Link (too wide), Selle Italia Spensioni Attive (SA 600) and a few others I've forgotten or wish I had.

Bike Setup:   Look Kg 481SL with Chorus/Centaur mix and Velocity Aeroheads

Submitted by Sizzle a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2008

Strengths:    light, very well made,

Weaknesses:    i've got 5 other saddles i'd rather be on.

Bottom Line:
    this one is lacking any sense of fore-aft 'concavity'....it feels like i'm sitting on the freakin seat post. I think there's a fundamental flaw in the design -- the rails should flare to the corners at the rear, with some spread. This thing claims it has 'flex' - sure enough, because the rails meet back in the middle of the rear, not supporting the 'rear corners' of the saddle at all. It sure looks great, tho...

Favorite Ride:   mrazek