Selle Italia SLR TI Saddles

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

The goal of ultra lightweight construction is fully achieved in the SLR. Just 140 grams with nothing sacrificed in terms of technical specifications. Thanks to a combination of features including carbon shell, padding fashioned from EVA (closed-cell foam weighing only 5 grams), and a featherweight tubular Titanium rail that weighs just 45 grams.

Submitted by ilpirati a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    Light, good manufacturing quality, comfortable...if you get used to it.

Weaknesses:    To fragile and a bit expensive.

Bottom Line:
I bought this saddle for the weight, or lack of it. It`s built with quality materials (leather, carbon, titanium)but for me it took about 3 painful months to get used to it. Now is very comfortable even in 4-5h rides. The only negativ aspect for me is that this saddle is to fragile. I`ve cracked mine in a moderate crash.

Favorite Ride:   any dry ride

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone 5.0, Ultegra 10, FSA K-force handlebar and seatpost, Selle Italia SLR, Ultegra wheels.

Submitted by cpark a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2007

Strengths:    Sexy, light and comfy.

Weaknesses:    Over priced

Bottom Line:
I believe rating a saddle for comfort is a very difficult/personal thing. A comfortable saddle to someone maybe a very uncomfortable for others. As far as rating the value, this can be done subjectly.

Well here is my take.

I'm 6' tall and weigh 180lbs and I find this saddle very commfortable.
Unlike most riders I find the comfy level with most of the saddles.
In fact, I use Fizik Arione as well as SLR and find both to be very comfortable.
I see some reviewers express concern for lack of durability.
I apply leather conditioner/mink oil very other week and haven't had any issues with it (unless you crash then it's a different situation). They are light, sexy and if your butt agrees, it's a buy.

As far as the value rating is concern, it's not so good. Since when did it become acceptable to charge consumers $100 to $300+ for a saddle?
I'll tell you when. A few years ago, Fizik came out with the saddle and started to charge outrageous $. Initially, most of consumers stayed away. However,with some smart marketing work (and it is a comfortable saddle), consumers started to buy them. Initial notion was that "you get what you pay for"'.

I couldn't disagree more. You should be able to find the saddle without pay arm and legs for it.
What they found was the threshold point for $ where most of the cyclists are willing to pay for. This is a same thing as what Gas companys have done. Some companies like Grey Goose Vodka and other high end product have done exact same thing and get away with it because the consumers are willing to pay for it.

2 years ago I bought SLR saddle for $70 (mspr being $90). Now SLP MSRP is $140. That's an increase of %50+.

It's safe to say that most people haven't gotten a pay raise of 50%+ over last 2 years.

Once Fizik suceeded, every saddle manufacture followed and spikeed up their prices dramatically.
For example, 2 years ago you could find Flite Ti saddle for $50 to $60. Now they are over $100. They can do that because the consumers are willing to pay for it.

Therfore, my value rating for this saddle is 1

If you can afford it and don't mind spending the $, it's a good saddle.

Favorite Ride:   Any roads without cars

Time VRX DA
Klein Mantra Race

Submitted by Larry K. Shumway a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
It doesn't appear that any of these reviews are about the SLR T1, saddle that was listed as the subject.

Submitted by the seamus a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2007

Strengths:    Beautiful, lightweight, great padding and shell flex.

Weaknesses:    Sharp edges where the shell flares out at the side/rear causes chafing with chamios seams. Boooo...

Bottom Line:
I really, really want to love this saddle.I even have two of them. But the sharp edges on the sides towards the back of the saddle seem perfectly placed to chafe the seams of my chamois. I've tried lots of different quality shorts, too. It does get better as the saddle breaks in but for me it never completely went away. I've been racing for almost 20 years, and I'm still an elite level racer, and weigh 148lbs. Never had saddle issues before now. Back to my Flite.

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Arione, Aliante, and Pave, Selle Italia Flite and Flite Gel, etc. San Marco Rolls and Regal back in the day.

Bike Setup:   BMC SLC01, Look 585, several Rock Lobster CX bikes.

Submitted by z ken a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2007

Strengths:    light, light, light, beatiful design and name brand.

Weaknesses:    none so far even in a century ride.

Bottom Line:
insanely light and look pretty sweet too. feel much comfortable than its appearance even in a century ( i guess i'm one of those with " strong " buttom. heheh i used to have those " paddy " seat from stock 2006 trek madone 5.2 sl. saving 130 grams.

Favorite Ride:   mt. hamilton