Selle Italia SLR Saddles

4.06/5 (86 Reviews)

The selle Italia SLR saddle has Genuine Gel for long term durability and comfort. The shock absorbing padding will retain its comfort for many a ride. Italian Black leather on a Carbon Fibre base with Lightweight Vanox rails. Great looks on a super com

Submitted by Artur Nogueira a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2012

Strengths:    Beautifull, light, incredible confortable. And it lasts forever.

Bottom Line:
After my review from 2004, I am still using the original Transam SLR, no gel. Yes....it is the same saddle I have reviewed here for the first time in 2002. Yes...10 years of SLR experience. Ah...yes , in the meanwhile I have ridden other saddles - specially the San MArco Arami ( a great saddle ), but always returned to the SLR. Why ? It's minimalist, the padding is minimal...ah...but it is so confortable. We must to break it in and after that...it's a great saddle. Durable. Well built! Well finished!

First, let's be honest: it is not a saddle for long rides. A 4 to 5 hours ride on a SLR, the "damages" will be felt on the next day! But what are the "damages" ? Well, you'll feel your sit bones with a very little pain. So...the " damages " are well bearable!.

This saddle is firm but " flexible" and it's the kind of saddle that suit me best: "flexible but firm". That's why I have never changed for the gel version. Too soft for my taste! And it is a narrow saddle, which is probably the main cause why it is so confortable for me. I feel my sit bones on it and it's always a great ride.

It is not however, the best saddle for commuting. When traing I use padded shorts, but when riding as a mean of transport, without any padded shorts, it is not the best saddle for it. At least for myself.

After 1o years, it's still alive and kicking, and my problem is that I do not know which saddle to choose after the SLR. Because I have the feeling that the actual SLR it is not as confy as the old and original Transam!

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Flite 100% carbon, Flite Alpes, Selle San Marco Arami Nighttrain, San Marco Concor, Bontrager

Bike Setup:   Orbea Ultrafuoco steel frame with carbon seat stays and fork, Ksyrium wheels, Veloflex clinchers, Campagnolo Record group, 3T carbon peripherals

Submitted by Antonio Soares a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Strengths:    Looks, weight.

Weaknesses:    Confort (lack of), Warranty (inexistent), Durability (minimum), very poor materials.

Bottom Line:
Apart from the fine looks, this is a lame product. The cushioning got compacted on the ischium (buttocks bone) with less than 6 months of light use. More than just being unconfortable, this changed the way I sit on the bike and eventually started to feel back pains. I tried to use the warranty but they provided lame excuses for not replacing the saddle. My opinion: the product sucks and they know it. Or they simply don't care about customers. This was my first, and certainly my LAST Selle Italia Saddle.

Favorite Ride:   Romeiros

Purchased At:   Fastrunner (Sao Paul

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco Arami, Specialized Avatar, Fizik Aliante.

Bike Setup:   Colnago EPS, Record, Fulcrum Racing Speed.

Submitted by dumalam a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2011

Strengths:    Comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I got my SLR saddle with my bike a year and a half ago and have been very happy with it. I suppose I haven't though about it too much since, which means that it has been doing a good job and I haven't had any problems with it. Saddle are probably an individual, subjective issue, but I've found the SLR to be very comfortable, and so far, durable.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo R3, Ultegra 6700, 3T Pro

Submitted by Kevin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2011

Strengths:    Comfy!! Even on rough roads, this saddle is very comfortable and has an excellent shape for any riding situation - climbing, hammering in the drops, or just riding

Weaknesses:    Mine wore out faster than I thought it would and developed the dreaded slight cradle look where it dips a bit where most of my body weight was continuously placed. Eventually this lead to groin numbness and the need to replace. I hoped that this would have lasted longer based on the price.

Bottom Line:
I loved this saddle. It was like a gift from the gods to me. I rode 10,000km+ in one season on this saddle and felt amazing the whole way through. Not much numbness and pretty much zero saddle sores which is a difficult feat for hard and fast riding. It always felt comfortable, it was such a welcome relief finding an outstanding saddle!! Selle Italia really does a great job.

Favorite Ride:   Warm and dry

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager saddles, Selle Italia Flite, San Marcos

Bike Setup:   Trek Madone 6.9 pro

Submitted by Crusierman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight,fantastic looking. I don't feel like I have been on a saddle when I get off of it. No chafing, no numbness.

Weaknesses:    None in my opinion. My sit bones must just fit it right. I suspect most men's do. But not everybody. I've been riding bikes for over 45 years I miss my banana seat on my Huffy Slingshot 3.(yea right)

Bottom Line:
This is a GREAT saddle. I have read all of the reviews on this site of it and think that it just comes down to where your sit bones are located. You either LOVE it or HATE it or, if you want to be wishey washey (because you paid so much for it) its ok. This can be said for any saddle.

Favorite Ride:   Any

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Brooks,various no name.

Bike Setup:   Steel Tig welded frame. 32C tires, Thomson Elite seatpost, DA 9 speed.

Trek Emonda SLR 6

Has anyone tested any of the SLR Emondas? I've seen several posts of the SL 6 or SL 8, but none on the SLR's. I would like to read on the differences in ride quality between the SL frame and SLR. I'm on the fence, trying to decide on wether to get an SL 6 or sLR 6. BTW, anyone know when the SLR ... Read More »

Selling brand new Canon EOS 6D 20MP Digital SLR Camera

Selling brand new Canon EOS 6D 20MP Digital SLR Camera Package Content 1 EOS 6D (WG) Body 1 Eyecup Eb (Not Shown) 1 Battery Pack LP-E6 1 Battery Charger LC-E6 1 Stereo AV Cable AVC-DC400ST 1 Wide Neck Strap EW-EOS 6D 1 USB Interface Cable IFC-200U 1 EOS Digital Solution Disk & Software Instructi ... Read More »

Trek Madone 7.9 or Trek Émonda SLR 10 for the Tour de France ??

Hi, now that Trek have the [URL="http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/road/performance_race/madone/madone_7_9/#"]Madone 7.9[/URL] or the [URL="http://www.trekbikes.com/ca/en/bikes/road/performance_race/emonda/emonda_slr_10_h1/#"]Émonda SLR 10[/URL], which one will pro-riders that use Trek in the Tou ... Read More »

Need help with -- Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR wheelset

I just recently acquired a Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR wheelset and it's probably a 2011 or 2012 model, not sure because the original owner wasn't clear about it. I just trust what I was told.. He said it is a 10-speed hub, so I installed a 10-speed Shimano 105 Cassette with the 1mm spacer that it com ... Read More »

Issue with Mavic R-SYS SLR Tubulars? Competive Cyclist...

Hi All, I recently ordered a set of Mavic R-SYS SLR Tubular wheels from Competitive Cyclist as they had/have a smoking deal going on. (40% off). I then heard that they had a hub issue when going through double checking the set before shipping and found an unsatisfactory amount of play or wiggle in ... Read More »