Selle San Marco Zoncolan Ti saddle Saddles

• weight: 198g
  • S.I.Z.E.: 235
  • top: leather
  • Named after the most extreme climb in the Giro D'Italia
  • Pro-inspired saddle design with a round rear/side profile and a tapered-skirt drop nose for reduced leg abrasion
  • Full leather covering with solid titanium rails and San Marco pad-print graphics

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Rob Stilson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2009

Strengths:    Light, stylish

Weaknesses:    comfort

Bottom Line:
    Not a comfortable saddle, tried all positions. Worked for 20 mile or less rides. Did not work well for distance for me. It is light and sleek. Probably better for a racer. I guess is called Zoncolan for climbing because most of your time climbing is out of the saddle. It would work great for that.

Favorite Ride:   Century - Hilly

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Trek 2.1 Road Bike

Submitted by laurent a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Strengths:    -Well built.
    -Quality materials.
    -Not too soft, not too hard, just the right amount of padding and flexyness.
    -Beautiful design BUT...

Weaknesses:    ...really hurted me (behind the legs). Painful, unusable shape. A real deception for me.

Bottom Line:
    This saddle did just not fit for me.

Found at 65€ on internet.
    Beautiful saddle, perfect builing, high range material but... horrible under my butt :-(

I think the shape is purely marketing. The intermediate part does not allow a good pedaling movement and hurt behind the legs.

Sometimes I think saddles manufacturers are more involved into mareking than true R&D. It is amazing to see how much very expensive, "strangely fashion-shaped but horrible to ride" saddles have come on the market these last years...

Favorite Ride:   French Alps :)

Purchased At:   www.sergedutouron.co

Similar Products Used:   Old turbo, Trimatic, Pavé, Flite, Aspide, Bassano mission...

Submitted by roadscrape a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, length, width, good padding in nose, good supportive padding middle/rear, flexible rear section, Selle San Marco design and quality.

Weaknesses:    Retail price; hard to find

Bottom Line:
    I'm a performance fitness rider getting back into the groove after many years as a runner/mtb rider. I was a regular road rider 1985-1997. 50+ years old, 5’7”, 175-180 lb. Knee surgery has its upside, like getting me back on the road after the sports ortho said no more running.

I have almost 2000 miles on the bike and about a 1000 on the Zoncolan. I tried several saddles, starting with my 12+ year old-school leather Vetta TT (much like a SI Flite) and a SSM Concor. As I grew older, I found my body being less tolerant of hard saddles. I also like to move around more on the saddle, so wanted something longer than traditional. I wanted something comfortable for all day rides, which after 2 hours the Aspide was not.

Being very familiar with Selle San Marco saddles, I read about the Zoncolan and wanted to give it a try. However, SSM doesn’t market it much in the USA – only a few stores carry it (though I just Googled and see that more stores now carry it). I bid on eBay for a Zoncolan and a Fizik Arione. I won a brand new Z easily (few riders familiar with it), never coming close on the popular Arione. The Z typically lists for around $135 US.

I like the look of the Z very much. It is unique and sleek in that Italian sports car way – with aggressive nose much like the SSM Magma – and really stands out from the crowd. Most SSM saddles are covered in Lorica, but they chose leather for the Z. My Z is black with white lettering and looks very good on my matte black Synapse. I’ll keep it treated with Nickwax to waterproof it and condition it from cracking with age.

Like the Arione, the Z is long (183mm). I have the SSM SIZE 235 (135mm wide). The Z is a fairly light saddle at 200g.

After a couple of daily rides (20-25 mi) I was satisfied with the fit and feel. I was surprised with how well it fit my sits bones, as it appeared to be narrower than it felt. So, I chose to give it a good test with a hilly 50 miler on a hot, humid summer day. I've never ridden a saddle for 2+ hours non-stop with no issues at all until I tried the Z. I must say, I totally forgot about the saddle. No numbness or hot spots. This saddle will be excellent for a century, randonee, or tour.

The nose is well padded for climbing and sprints, and just the right width. I used to do triathlons and time trails – the Z nose is well padded for both (SSM now has a gel nosed version for tri). I like to move about on the saddle, especially on long climbs, and the rear section is quite long for doing so; the aft most part flexible in a good way (noticeably more than an Aspide).

The padding is very good yet supportive - it doesn't flatten out or create hot spots. For my anatomy, the Z feels custom made. The Z has no hard spots at all and is far more comfortable than the cutout versions of the Aspide and Terry Liberator.

As most experienced riders know, light weight means nothing if you’re not comfortable on the saddle. I can't imagine a more comfortable saddle for short rides or all day epics – regardless of weight.

You can try out the Z (and other saddles) as a demo from several online stores for a small fee.

Favorite Ride:   Natchez Trace

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   SSM Concor, SSM Aspide Arrowhead, Vetta TT, SI Turbo, Terry Liberator

Bike Setup:   C'dale Synapse Carbon in matte black, 53cm - 105/Ultegra/Dura Ace mix; Easton EC 90 Pro Equipe compact bars, EC 90 carbon 90 seatpost; C'dale Fire 110mm stem; 38mm deep Niobium rims; Sigma BC1606L computer w/ cadence; Cinelli white/black chunky bar tape; Conti 4000S tires (all black)