Selle SMP Drakon Saddles

The Drakon saddle is fabricated with a comfortable amount of foamed elastomer padding and is particularly suitable for anyone with a medium-wide pelvis.

Submitted by GordTex a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2014

Strengths:    Comfort. Easy break in. Cool, exotic look

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
A bike saddle provides the most intimate contact between you and your machine. And even as I type this, I know that there are also the variables of individual tastes and needs. What suits one person will be an a** hatchet to another. In this case, my motivation to try the Drakon came from my urologist who suggested that I either reduce my mileage or find a saddle that was a bit more forgiving to my tush and, ahem, other sensitive tissues. I started to do my research and first looked at the Axiom ISM that a couple of my riding buddies were using. That saddle seemed a bit overly padded for my needs and I eventually decided that I would try one of the Selle SMP models. After reading this very comprehensive article (http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/09/all-about-smps/) I decided to choose between the Drakon and the Dynamic. I picked the Drakon because I was afraid that the Dynamic would be too hard. During the first hour of my initial ride I knew that this was going to be a positive experience. And now, after more than 25 hours of saddle evaluation, I'm ready to recommend it. The unusual dip in the middle of the saddle was quite comfortable from the first mounting. It is the cold season right now, but I'm also pretty sure that the channel cutout is going to be a real benefit come the warm summer months here in Texas. These saddles are a bit more expensive than the Fizik Aliantes I've been riding for the last several years, but I'm very happy that I've made the switch.

Favorite Ride:   White Rock Lake, Dallas Texas