Selle SMP Glider Saddles

4.5/5 (12 Reviews)

• Store Price

The Selle SMP Glider Carbon Rail Saddle delivers comfort at a feather weight. Wide cut-away with dropped nose relieves pressure on soft tissues and promotes blood circulation. Designed to be comfortable in all riding positions. Carbon fiber infused nylon-12 shell. Foamed elastomer padding. Nap Leather cover. Carbon Rails. 210 grams.

Submitted by Martin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort. Eliminates numbness and pain. Attractive. Available in four colors. Very nice finish.

Weaknesses:    Extremely dependent on proper set up and fit.If not exactly in the proper alignment, it will be rather uncomfortable. Definite break-in period, and time required to get used to this saddle.

Bottom Line:
I first found out about this saddle when I had a dynamic performance fit at a local bike shop when shopping this winter for a new ride. The saddle on the rig was the SMP Glider. It was very comfortable. I decided right then that no matter what frame and components I bought, the saddle would be the SMP Glider. When I first took delivery of my bike, the Glider had not come in so they put a temporary saddle for a week. When the saddle arrived, the shop owner put the saddle on without any other adjustments or compensating for differences in saddle size and position. This was a mistake. I had discomfort right away. I fiddled around with position, but couldnt' get it right. I was discouraged and almost returned the saddle. I brought the bike in for a fitting with the new saddle. Dave at International Bicycle Center spent an hour with me and my bike on a stand taking measurements, making adjustments, and really getting the saddle in the proper position for me. He noted that my left peddle cleat was 2 mm inboard and 1 mm too far forward, giving me an asymmetrical cadence. Once all these adjustments were made, the saddle suddenly lost all discomfort, and has been comfortable on rides as long as 88 miles.

There is a definite learning curve. It is different having one's weight spread over a whole saddle, vs. concentrated on two sit bones. With all your weight concentrated on just those two spots, those spots must be in the proper position. It makes all the difference in the world.

With the proper set up, I really love this saddle. I will probably not ride any other saddle. As a 60+ year old diabetic, I am worried about vascular damage or injury. I feel I can rest assured with this saddle that it is unlikely to occur.

Favorite Ride:   Pan Massachusetts Challenge

Purchased At:   International Bicycl

Similar Products Used:   Terry Fly, Sella Italia Flite, San Marco Concour

Bike Setup:   Eddy Merckx EMX-5 with Campagnolo Record, Mavic R-Sys wheels, 3T bar and stem.

Submitted by nickma a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable yet firm, perfect fit, light(ish), long rails, no chafing, no numbness, fit and forget

Weaknesses:    MUST get the seat aligned absolutely parallel to the ground for maximum comfort - use a spirit level.

Bottom Line:
The Glider is the perfect balance for me in the SMP range. Having tried the Pro with its rounded profile, and the chunky Avant with its flat seat and heavily padded nose, the Glider works best for me due to its flattish profile, providing a much better match for my sit bones than the Pro, and has a slim, lightly padded nose, which ensures no rubbing or chafing. Numbness is a thing of the past with the large cutout dissecting the seat along most of its length. Padding is just right: firm, supportive, comfortable, no squishiness. Really long seat rails mean that possibilities for adjustment are infinite, and may help absorb bumps and road shock. I am 6 ft tall and 87 kg.

Favorite Ride:   Cumbria

Similar Products Used:   SMP Pro, SMP Avant, San Marco Regal-e, Flite, Flite Max Titanium,

Bike Setup:   Roberts Sportif, Record triple, Ksyrium SSC SL, Easton EA70 controls.

Submitted by makaw a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    No numbness, very comfortable,easy to get used to

Weaknesses:    nothing so far

Bottom Line:
I have just ridden with this saddle for 4 hours for the first time. The pressure is just at the right point, there is only slight pain in the sitbones, but it is quite normal for the first ride.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Stock saddles

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Chris King Hubs, Carbon Mountain Bike.

Submitted by Gray hair 46 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, style

Weaknesses:    Wore out one year!

Bottom Line:
Very comfortable! No soreness, even after 4 hours in the saddle. HOWEVER - I wore through the leather in 4000 miles. At 5 foot 9 and 155 lbs, a saddle should last at least 10K miles for me.

Favorite Ride:   tomorrow