Selle SMP Pro Saddles

Selle SMP's saddle range is scientifically designed with two things in mind...

Submitted by Vinnie

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2015

Strengths:    Would be loved by Marquis de Sade.

Weaknesses:    The most uncomfortable saddle I've ever sat on.

Bottom Line:
I do big randonneur miles. Trying to wean myself from heavy leather saddles. I have already ridden a 600 kilometer ride this Spring. Put this saddle on our tandem for a short 65 mile today. Could barely stand the pain by the end of the ride. Bottom line: everyone's anatomy is different. Don't buy a saddle based on reviews. You need to try it out first. I'd happily sell it for half price.

Submitted by CW

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    Great anatomical design. Cut out and tapered 'nose' relieves pressure. Cushioning is good for long rides

Weaknesses:    Price is reasonable for what you are getting. Spend a lot of time in that saddle and its a relatively small cost in the overall scheme of a high performance bike.

Bottom Line:
A great saddle. Would recommend over a Specialized which I have used in the past and no comparison with a Fizik Arione which is not in either saddle's league.

Submitted by Alan Barge a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    Comfort, design with deep insight into (male) anatomy

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
This is a superb saddle. I am a physician, and all too aware of the anatomical consequences of cycling. This saddle is brilliantly designed to completely avoid any pressure on the perineal nerves or blood vessels, and is superbly comfortable in long (100 mile+) rides. It is firm but incredibly well suited. There are several sizes, and I would strongly recommend trying a few to get exactly the right one. Expensive....but then the best usually is.

Favorite Ride:   To the pub....

Purchased At:   e-bay

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Sempre 105 2012

Submitted by Randy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2011

Strengths:    Super high-quality design and construction and the best seat I have ever ridden in 30 years of riding road bikes

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I have been experimenting with seats for nearly two years. I tried many seats designed to relieve pressure in the sensitive areas of my crotch. The Specialized Body Geometry saddles were the best I had found, but weren't totally working for me. Finally, I looked up the Selle SMP Pro saddle on Performancebike.com and read a number of raving reviews. I decided to order it and although no saddle sits like a LA-Z-Boy recliner, this is the best saddle I have ever had. I have ridden it at least 300 miles already and now that I am getting really used to it, it is great and will allow me to keep cycling comfortably. It takes some time to adjust and get used to it, but once I got it right, I am very happy with it. I am 6'2" and 195 lbs and 37" waist so the "Pro" model had the right width for me. Other widths are available in the Selle SMP line though. I set it up about 3mm nose high using a level across the highest part of the nose and back of the saddle. I ride fairly aggressively for a recreational rider and feel very confident with this saddle. It was expensive, but it is REALLY WELL MADE and the design is great. It is the first saddle that really feels like it was made for my anatomical structure. Thank you Selle SMP for a superbly designed saddle that will allow me to keep riding for a long time! The Performancebike.com purchase guarantee was important as I felt I could really ride the saddle and still send it back if it didn't work too.

Favorite Ride:   Lower Rock Creek Canyon - Eastern Sierra, CA

Purchased At:   Performance Bike Onl

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG, Adamo Podium & Breakaway, Cobb Cycling SHC and V-Flow Plus, San Marco Regal Racing Team

Bike Setup:   2010 58cm Cervelo R3, Campy Chorus, Record and Super Record, DT Swiss 240s hubs and DT Swiss RR 1.2 wheels with DT Swiss areo spokes 24/28

Submitted by Cirocco a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort, no numbness, bike control, and unique design.

Weaknesses:    None. Yes it costs a lot, but it protects the family jewels.

Bottom Line:
After my Prostate removal surgery this saddle was recommended by a racer who had same surgery. I did not know that a saddle could be so comfortable and yet efficient. Well worth the high price.

Favorite Ride:   Annual Tour de Palm Springs in February

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Specialized body geometry. Very good for short rides.

Bike Setup:   Trek project one