Selle SMP Stratos Saddles

4.38/5 (13 Reviews)

• Store Price

They may look a bit funny, but SMP saddles are designed for ultimate comfort in all riding positions. Wide cut-away and dropped nose relieve pressure on soft tissues and promote blood circulation. AISI 304 tubular steel rails. Nap leather cover. Foamed elastomer padding. 266mm Long x 131mm Wide. 260 grams. Black. Made in Italy.

Submitted by drachung a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2012

Strengths:    comfort, easy to follow setup, expensive but good value

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I selected the stratos from the sizing chart and reading the reviews. Set it up based on instructions and did minor adjustment. Rides very well and i conformed immediately and felt like it wasnt there. Good value and necessary protection. The cost of not buying can end up being more

Purchased At:   ebay

Submitted by Simon a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2011

Strengths:    Pure, everlasting comfort and support. Does what is says it will do. Amazing comfort, that keeps getting better.

Weaknesses:    Weight, if that's a concern for you. Price, vs. other saddles - but worth it... once you go SMP, you never go back. Time to adjust... give it time!

Bottom Line:
Follow the sizing guidelines on their website and then... Just buy it!!

Yes, you'll have to adjust it. Yes it will take a while to get used to (in some cases 3 months) but persist - it feels totally unlike any other saddle. Yes, it's expensive, yes it's 'heavy' vs. others. Yes... it is THE BEST saddle you will ever ride!! Once you dial it in, you will forget you're even sitting on a saddle, it's like being cupped by the hand of the lord (I'm not religious). The support front to back is simply unsurpassed.

You'll notice this most when you get up and give it a blast then sit back down and there is NO pressure and you feel totally supported! The shape mirrors the curve of your pelvis, unlike flat saddles; you will get used to it.

Most saddles have no support for the rear of the sitting position, this does. So don't be confused in to thinking this means something's not right, it's intentional and over time, fantastically comfortable for your glutes lower back and the rest. This is an ALL DAY saddle.

You can move forward or back slightly depending on if you're climbing or in the drops. You will feel NO pressure on your nerves, just your sit bones (learn to tell the difference). Over time, the sit bones sensation totally disappears and becomes a familiar, reassuring feeling. It gives you back all the power in your hamstrings and quads. I was able to try multiple versions before finding the right one. The shop owner (the local distributor) encouraged this and I settled on the Stratos because of the padding; takes the burn out of the 'rear-points' of your sit bones (for me - not necessarily for others, had tried the Composit [same as the carbon but with leather] before).

Follow the instructions. Start with it totally level and adjust the way you sit, not the saddle. If you do adjust, just by millimetres, tiny amounts, don't throw it forward too far (unless you're time trialling). Best advice - roll your hips forward and sit your hips in the centre of the saddle as a starting point, this will orient you with the sweet spot of the saddle. IMPORTANT - take all your measurements... this is a shorter saddle than the Arione for example. Find out where the back of your sit bones are first, then mirror this with the SMP. It is much further forward if you're on an Arione at present. You don't sit as far back on this as you do a Fizik. If anything, further forward; which gives you more power over the bottom bracket. And frees up your hamstrings and quads... trust me you'll grind away for hours with all the extra power you get back... love the burn!

Once you're done, it will be your legs and lungs that can't keep up; not your comfort level!! Enjoy!

Favorite Ride:   Perth Hills - Pickering Brook

Purchased At:   Ride 'N' Style

Similar Products Used:   + Fizik Arione, Token Slim Channel, Selle Italia Gel Flow.

Bike Setup:   Cervélo S2 2009, full 2011 SRAM Force, Fulcrum Racing 3's, SMP Stratos.

Submitted by allan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2011

Strengths:    No pressure on prostate gland and no nerve pressure to cause numbness.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden 6 times since my purchase. Rides have varied from 20 mile training rides with sprints and others with just hillclimbing. I just completed a 42 mile ride with friends with an average speed around 19, and all I can say is, YEAH! Messed with the position just once after initial ride, due to it being too far back. One click forward, and my sit bones were the only pressure on the seat. No numbness, no pressure on my 59 year old prostate, and a feeling of more quad strength freedom. Everything that they said it would do it has done.

Purchased At:   Holmes Cycle, Camp H

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Revenio 4.0

Submitted by stephensonian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2011

Strengths:    extreme comfort, does not snag on your shorts while out of the saddle and aesthetically pleasing to look at

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
Tried the Selle Avant first and I realized it was too wide. after much research I decided to try the Stratos after riding many other seats, instantly I knew I had hit the jackpot with the Stratos after 162 miles with no discomfort.

Favorite Ride:   Fuji SL1

Purchased At:   Cycle City and Fitne

Similar Products Used:   San marco, selle smp avant, brooks,fizik etc.

Bike Setup:   Fuji SL1 C10 carbon bike: Sram red components, Ritchey Evo carbon handlebar and axix stem , Mavic R-SYS wheels and Cateye V3 Computer.

Submitted by Willie Fargoer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    looks good
numbness elimination in privates

Weaknesses:    cost
adjustment is impossible
pressure points become very pronounced

Bottom Line:
The Stratos looked like a good idea to end the numbness issues that have plagued me. I tried as hard as I could but the adjustment is just impossible. The seat shape makes it very hard to not be pushed either forward or backward. The use of the downturned beak escapes me, useless. You can adjust it for any one position just fine but it makes others uncomfortable. The wide cutout makes for two very annoying pressure points on either side toward the front portion of the saddle. Just didn't work for me, but others shape may be different and cause different outcome.

Favorite Ride:   Durango - Ouray