Specialized Alias Saddles

3.97/5 (33 Reviews)

Available in 3 different widths to ensure a perfect fit for a range of riders with different sit-bone widths Scientifically proven Body Geometry design with V-Groove plus window relieves pressure and improves bloodflow , even in extreme riding positions Carbon reinforced nylon shell is light and stiff Memory foam & tuned foam padding

Submitted by Roady1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2010

Strengths:    Good Fit, 3 optional widths for personal choice

Weaknesses:    Cheap BG Logos on side (easily removed)

Bottom Line:
Purchased as replacement for wider, softer seat. (Softer doesn't equate to more comfort!) Excellent fit and extremely comfortable for long distance rides. Choice of 130mm, 143mm or 155mm width allows for exact personal fit.

Purchased At:   Old Town (Gig Harbor

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Avatar Gel

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sequoia Comp (2005). DA/Ultegra gears/shifters; Mavic SSL wheels and Conti 4000S tires. Comfort over top-end speed; great for 205 mile STP!

Submitted by jamesajjr72 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort of course! Perennial slot wide enough and don't collapse under your weight. I weigh 142lbs! The covering is nice with no stitch lines that rub after hours of pedaling.

Weaknesses:    I don't like the logo's but who's worried about that. I can't see them when I'm riding.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this saddle over a year ago and never used it until recent. It was in my storage along with several other bike parts. I swapped out to this after a year of riding on a Fizik Arione that I could not find comfort on and also a ISM Adamo Race saddle. Neither saddle worked out for me thru hundreds of tweaks and adjustments. I found myself with a new raw spot or considerable numbness every ride within 20 miles in the saddle. Well long story short I mounted this saddle just out of despiraration for comfort and found that this was the most significant saddle that I ever sat on. I have the 143 width at fit me perfect under my sit bones. I prefer a firm saddle that help with power transfer while in long term TT position on P2SL. The other saddles took a lot of me trying to find the spot. I also guessing me trying look cool with a fancy saddle had a lot to do with my discomfort also. I know saddle preference is totally personal, but this cheapo is a dream to me. 30 miles plus some is now a breeze!

Favorite Ride:   Honolulu Century

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Arione, ISM Adamo, Fizik Alante, Selle Italia Flite MAX, Specialized Toupe

Bike Setup:   2008 Cervelo P2SL, Cervelo carbon seat post, Ultegra, Speed Play Zero pedals, HED-3 carbon clinchers, Xlab seat water cage system

Submitted by Bill a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    Great feel. Great comfort

Weaknesses:    None for me. I'm not a lard ass like some of the reviews (160 lbs) so I don't beat the saddle up.

Bottom Line:
Great Saddle. The first time on it I could feel the difference. Done many 6 hour plus rides and some 200 mile plus races. The only thing that doesn't hurt at the end is my butt.

Favorite Ride:   Anything on my bike. Road or Mountain

Purchased At:   n/a

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia SLR 135gm. (this is a good one too). I have this on my mountain bikes and love it.

Submitted by buchismo a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2010

Strengths:    fit

Weaknesses:    durability

Bottom Line:
This saddle was comfortable for me. I am a bigger rider and spend most of time in the saddle and a lot of time on the drops. I felt I could more easily tilt my pelvis forwaed and flatten my back with this saddle. My only complaint is with the durability. After a little more than a year it broke. It did break during a somewhat wild effort at the end of a race giving a teammate a leadout. I was putting a lot of stress on it. My other concern about the saddle is that I think the label of "carbon" on the bottom may be misleading. I took it apart after it broke and while I'm no expert on carbon, the only parts that looked like carbon are the pieces at the tip and rear of the saddle that are used merely to cover the staples that attach the saddle cover to the plastic (that's what it looks like) saddle frame. Well, I bought the same saddle again so obviously for me, the good fit compensates for the suspect durability.

Bike Setup:   value road racing bike - shimano 105 components - scott aluminum frame with carbon fork and and carbon seat stays

Submitted by Fixation a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2009

Strengths:    Perfect firm support with a little padding, long distance comfort, easy to maneuver on.

Weaknesses:    I am a satisfied user. I have had no negative issues with this saddle. No, I'm not paid by Specialized to say so.

Bottom Line:
My Specialized Alias saddle was a hand me down from a coworker at a bike shop. I must say it is the most comfortable saddle I've ever sat on. I am a fit rider doing many fixed gear endurance rides.
I don't have a lot of fat in the butt. So the sit bones are right on the saddle supports. Therefore I can't use a saddle with too much padding. My sit bones will settle into all that gel and padding causing muscle pain. The Alias saddle is a great combination of firmness and compliance.
I've had no issues with numbness either in the extremities or the man-parts. Not a peep has this saddle made since installed. The rails make no noise at all. I am hyper sensitive to sounds on the fixed gear as the drive train is merely a whisper.
Riding distance on a fixie requires climbing strength combined with high cadence spinning on the descents. While not being so slippy you constantly feel as if you're sliding off the saddle, the Alias is easy to reposition on enabling one to scoot back for climbing power, and move forward towards the nose for faster spinning.
A 75 mile ride on Tuesday, a 69 mile ride on Thursday, and I can still sit comfortably! I'm impressed. Bottom line, this is a good choice of saddle for somebody in fit cycling shape, wanting to do 40+ mile rides comfortably. Quality cycling shorts are definitely a big help. Don't skimp on cycling shorts.
My next saddle will be the Specialized Toupe, a perfect blend of firmness and flex.

Favorite Ride:   '79 Trek 920 Fixed Gear Conversion