Specialized Avatar Comp Gel Saddles

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

• Store Price

With its ergonomic design and gel padding, Specialized's Avatar Comp Gel is the perfect upgrade for more comfort on every ride. Specialized's Body...

Submitted by nadoman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great support
Flat shape is great for my bum
3 sizes to dial in fit

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I just bought this saddle yesterday.
Put in a 30 miler today. . . no problemo. I like it better than the Toupe or Romin
It is perfect for my bum, with just enough padding for the sit bones, but stiff enough to not feel like I'm sitting on a pillow.
It really is not going to need a breaking in period.
Power transfer during seated climbs was excellent.

Favorite Ride:   Whenever I can

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Toupe and Romin
Selle Flite gel
Koobi Au Chrono

Bike Setup:   Custom Steel Cysco frame
Wound Up fork
Dura Ace
Velocity Aeroheads lace to King hubs (I built them)
Weight: 15 lbs

Submitted by shavon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    not very expensive
mine is wearing well

Weaknesses:    This saddle isn't my holy grail.

Bottom Line:
It's pretty decent but not perfect. Am writing this for females who, like me, seem to do better on T-shaped saddles rather than pear shaped. That wider shoulder that connects the nose to the rear of the saddle just chafes the top of my inner thighs.....and I am very slender in the thighs.
Since Specialized offers 3 widths for the rear, women with wider sitz bone widths can go with the 155. I also need the small amount of gel. together you get reasonable support for the sitz bones
My only problem w/ this saddle is that I get pubic bone crushing when in the drops or aeros. and that is important !! That relegates the avatar to shorter/slower/recovery rides. Going to pursue more aggressive cutouts for this riding season.

Favorite Ride:   any ride in the sun

Similar Products Used:   Terry Butterfly (ti rails)--torture / Selle Italia lady Gel flow--chafing inner thigh/ stock Bontrager--no, no, no

Bike Setup:   Seven Elium; Rolf Prima Dauphine wheelset; Di2

Submitted by Josh a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2012

Strengths:    Multiple Sizes
Just enough gel
Flatter/square shape (I hate rounded saddles)

Weaknesses:    Squeaks- easily fixed with a little lube (I used spray lithium) where the rails enter the body

Bottom Line:
Great saddle for everything from the crit course right outside my front door to the century rides. It is a firm saddle while the gel just takes the edge out of the saddle and damps out any vibration that my Ti frame doesn't.
The saddle is flat and has pretty square shoulders which works very well for me. I really appreciate the fact that this saddle comes in 3 widths all with racing/fast training in mind. Allowing the users to find the best saddle for them. This is great for those of us that don't match the traditional cyclist body but still ride hard