Specialized Avatar Saddles

3.77/5 (22 Reviews)

Gel pads make this saddle the perfect companion for long rides. 3 width options properly support your sit-bones, while Body Geometry technology reduce numbness and ensure blood flow for the entire ride.
  • Available in 3 different widths to ensure a perfect fit for a range of riders with different sit-bone widths
  • Scientifically proven Body Geometry design with V-Groove plus window relieves pressure and improves bloodflow , even in extreme riding positions
  • Gel padding with a layer of memory foam for lasting comfort
  • Hollow Cr-Mo rails
  • Length 270mm

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Cdn rider a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2010

Strengths:    Comfort. Even after 3hr rides. My butt is fine.

Weaknesses:    The suede on top has worn down quite quickly. Weight. Too heavy. Not sleek looking.

Bottom Line:
    Saddle came on a tri frame/fork/seatpost pkg I bought. Hesitated months before deciding to try it out. The looks and weight were bothering me a little. Given that i'd been using a specialiZed gel toupe for a good while. Wow! What a comfort difference. I may not go back to the toupes I own. Thinking of buying another avatar for the other bikes I have. If only they were sleeker and lighter....

Favorite Ride:   Smooth paved roads

Purchased At:   Came with frame pkg

Similar Products Used:   SR Mach 1, specialized toupe gel

Bike Setup:   road bike 1 Looks fast! But really a tank. steel miele. Great engine though. Tri bike is a specialiZed transition comp e5 mix of DA, ultegra, 105, fulcrum race 3's

Submitted by Keith a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2010

Strengths:    After 4-5 hours in the saddle no numbness is a thing not missed

Weaknesses:    None at all i have 3 of these saddles, and would have no problem choosing these over the Fizik as i did. Heavy ... maybe but when your my size a few 100 grams really wont make the difference

Bottom Line:
    Bought this saddle for my first Road bike, and being on the larger side of the weight scale found it incredibly comfortable after a few hours in the saddle. Loved it so much that replaced the saddle on my mountain bike with the same one. And have now bought a white one (all be it a test saddle)for my new machine. If your on a good thing stick to it.

Favorite Ride:   M7

Purchased At:   Avanti Plus

Similar Products Used:   Specalized Alias

Bike Setup:   Ultegra SL 6700
    EA70 Wheelset

Submitted by Tommy Walker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2009

Strengths:    Looks great
    Very comfortable
    Great Price

Weaknesses:    Wish the rails were Titanium

Bottom Line:
    Just purchased my Cervelo RS and it came with the San Marco Ponza saddle, which I knew I was tradiing in at the fitting. I did not look at the saddles that Conte's had to offer, but a little disappointed when I saw all they had were Specialized. I was ready to shell out the $$$ for a Fizik or Selle with Ti; but none to choose from. So the Avitar was a good fit (it's important to make sure you have the correct size saddle) and I can actually ride on the saddle very comfortably. I haven't had a long ride with it yet, I'll know this weekend, but I wish it came with Titanium rails.

Favorite Ride:   Williamsburg Colonial Parkway

Purchased At:   Contee's

Similar Products Used:   San Marco Ponza, Bianchi OEM saddle

Bike Setup:   Cervelo RS, with Ultegra

Submitted by Beersman1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort for a heavy rider that does 5+ hour rides.So far very durable. I usually chafe the front sides through and the cover on this one seems smooth enough that it should not happen.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. 350 grams for my width 143. It really could use Titanium rails.

Bottom Line:
    I am a 6'2" 200 pound rider. I get about 200 miles a week. I do several Centuries a year. I have done a few doubles as well so my but knows seat time. My favorite saddle was the old Turbomatic 3. Switched to a Titanium Flite, wore it out and besides, it felt like a brick after 3 hours. Tried a few other seats before finally running across this saddle. It is a bit heavy at 350 grams, but 4 ounces extra when your a 200 pounder means nothing. Especially when your butt feels comfortable.

This seat was softer than I was used to and has a slightly flatter platform. It took me about 200 miles to get used to the softness. My sit bones felt bruised. Now it is by far the most comfortable saddle I have ridden. No numbness and it seems to have a spot for every position. Upright, on the hoods, drops, climbing or what ever you need. I have had this saddle for 4 weeks now and around 800 miles. 1 80 mile heavy climbing ride and 1 100 miler. Butt felt nice every mile.

4 star saddle for me. I had Italian saddle tunnel vision and missed these great saddles for years.

Favorite Ride:   Tour of the Unknown Coast

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R600 frame
    Full Ultegra 10 spd STI

Submitted by cervelodude a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2008

Strengths:    Gel Padding
    Body Geometry
    Fits my rear

Weaknesses:    Only had this seat a few days. Durability has been an issue with some seats so we'll see with this one. Also, its a bit pricey.

Bottom Line:
    Just finished a 75 mile ride on a new Avatar 143mm saddle. It took me a few quick stops to get the seat position right but this seat was awesome! The gel padding keeps the road chatter to a minimum and the groove keeps the blood flowing to your pelvic region. I was most impressed with how comfortable it felt during the later stages of the ride. The seat really disappeared under me.

My only disclaimer is that I had been riding a stock specialized saddle before this so I am familiar with the Body Geometry shape. I have ridden on many seats in the past and the Avatar was by far the most comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   more hills = better