Specialized Pro Gel Saddle Saddles

Ergonomically designed, race-ready Body Geometry saddle with added Gel comfort.

Submitted by Hammin Hank a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2004

Strengths:    Good quality construction

Weaknesses:    Hard. Not easy to slide around on.

Bottom Line:
Saddle looks good and seems to be well made, however, I had a hard time adapting to it. I could not slide across the saddle without actually lifting up. Presumably the leather cover against my PolyPro tights has a high coefficient of friction. I like the Body Geometry line, but this saddle allowed contact in the middle - not good. It's a little too hard for me. It may simply be my weight (180 lbs.) or it could be that I used to a softer saddle with a deep groove (e.g., Specialized BG Sport saddle). I wanted to try something a little different than the Sport model because of my hamstrings rubbing the edge on long climbs and becoming irritated. The Pro Gel saddle seemed to be better at minimizing hamstring contact. If the groove was deeper (like the BG2 designs), I think I would have like it better.

Favorite Ride:   Eastatoee Valley

Purchased At:   Great Escape

Similar Products Used:   2000 Specialized Body Geometry Sport saddle (very good).

Submitted by f8375r a Road Racer from Erie, PA 16505

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Strengths:    Flat, I can move back and forth on the saddle. Very comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I’ve been riding a Fizik Pave for the past four years averaging around 4,000 miles per year. Which is pretty good for me living in northern Pennsylvania. Because of the Fizik I’m used to a fairly flat saddle. Not sure if I really needed a new saddle but I thought it was time to put something new on my Litspeed so I went to the bike shop I deal with (John Adams Cycling & Fitness) and on an impales purchased the Specialized 03 Pro Gel Saddle. On my first ride of 1-1/2 hours was unbelievably comfortable. Never thought a saddle could feel soooo good. I rode in the drops; I rode in my areo bars getting as flat backed as I could and as far forward on the saddle as possible. I climbed a few hills setting back on the saddle. All the time waiting to feel those always present pressure points. Nothing. First of all it’s my first Gel saddle. Forget about the extra few ounces you get with a Gel saddle. Unless you’re planning on riding in the Tour everyone of use could lose a few pounds. The slight recess on the saddle ready works. Let me make it short, If you want to save yourself a lot of time and money try the specialized 03 Pro Gel Saddle.

Favorite Ride:   Sunday 50 mile loop around erie county

Purchased At:   John Adames Cyling &

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Prove,

Bike Setup:   Litespeed road bike

Submitted by wilyguy a Recreational Rider from Tacoma, WA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Strengths:    -Unexpectedly comfortable
-Durable construction

Weaknesses:    -Retail price is high ($35-$45 seems right)

Bottom Line:
I couldn't pass on this saddle because my existing one was growing uncomfortable. I didn't expect much and figured it as a great backup saddle. However, I have been very pleased. Specialized is innovative in many ways, but I wasn't expecting the saddle I now ride. It is comfortable past 40 miles. The nose is very soft and has a tendency to catch my shorts when sitting back down.

Favorite Ride:   Around the Point

Purchased At:   Employee purchase

Similar Products Used:   Many, many test rides on both Selle's, Fizik, Specialized, and others... 1000's of miles on a Selle San Marco

Bike Setup:   Steel, touring Bianchi with Campy

Pro Link Gel Flow Saddle

I just picked up a Selle Italia Pro Link Gel Flow and put about 50 miles on it. I don't like it at all. It feels nothing like my Max Trans Am. It is very hard! Anyone have any experience with this saddle? I am hoping that it softens over time but if someone with experience with this saddle says NO, ... Read More »