Specialized Romin SL Saddles

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Subtle styling, premium comfort and outstanding lightness make Specialized's Romin SL Saddle a superb upgrade for any bike. Its extended cutout, Body...

Submitted by TiRelax a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2012

Strengths:    Comfortable, cradles your sit bones, light

Weaknesses:    will ruin your shorts after long term use

Bottom Line:
If anyone wants the long term test results here are mine. I bought this saddle about 2.5 years ago. I liked it so much I both another one for my other bike a few months later. Never looked back. I like to ride in the drops on the Florida straights. But when on long rides or climbing the mountains in GA, I've never have an issue with numbness or comfort with the saddle.

That being said, on both saddles, about a year ago I noticed some wear on the front nose on both sides where my tights rub against it. This past summer I noticed all my expensive bib shorts were getting frayed in that area. On Thursday I went for a hard ride when at one time I stood to sprint, my shorts had strings caught in the saddle. My shorts are ruined as the front nose had cut all the way through them in the inside of my thighs and the nose is now totally bare.
A friend of mine with the same saddle is going through the same experience on his 1 year old saddle.

I guess time for new saddle.

Favorite Ride:   Leg Buster

Similar Products Used:   Selle Italia Gel Flyte
Selle SMP

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SuperSix, Zipp 404, ControlTech carbon post and handlebar
Cannondale CAAD7, AmericanClassic 420 Aero wheels, controltech carbon handlebar, Easton EC90 seat post

Submitted by roland shaw a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    just good in every way

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
best buy is the romin sl , i can beleive just how good this saddle is, in the uk you get a month to ride and if you are not impressed they give you a refund,i will not be sending mine back ,no discomfort or numbness

Favorite Ride:   scott cr1

Purchased At:   grafam cycles

Submitted by roadie01 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    Light Weight
Simple effective shape

Weaknesses:    Can't just set it at level and go.

Bottom Line:
I switched to the Romin after reading that several pros that were on Specialized Toupe saddles had switched to the Romin. I rode my trusty Toupe for 4 years and loved it even on long 200 mile rides.

The Romin is a firm saddle and due to it's contoured shape does take a couple of trial and error rides to get the position just right. Once it's set though it does just what a good seat should, disappear under you. Meaning no hot spots, no specific pressure points, no numbing or tingling of the sensitive bits.

This is a great saddle, I'm looking for putting in some long 4 plus hour rides to see how this saddle compares to my Toupe.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Toupe

Reynolds Carbon Bar
3T Pro stem

Submitted by AllezExprt a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2011

Strengths:    LIGHT. Seems durable. Looks great! Could be my favorite saddle (pending a few more rides)

Weaknesses:    Padding could be cushier...personal preference. It took me many tries to get the setup right. But I think I did it.

Bottom Line:
I'd heard rider after ride rave about the Romin. So, I had to try it. I was looking for a replacement for my San Marco SKN. At first glance I really liked the look of the saddle. Really well made, slick, nice colors/graphics, really everything about the appearance is nice. Once installed, it felt great at first. Such a difference from the SKN. The sloping middle cradles your posterior just right and I thought I'd found my new saddle. Until I rode it....

At one point I put it back on eBay because I was convinced I'd never get used to it. It just felt...hard. My sit bones would be so uncomfortable after 30 mins. Something wasn't right. I switched it out for a Selle Italia SLR which I did a 65 mile ride on. It felt better but again, not my kind of saddle. I put the Romin back on...and wow, comfort again! But, ensuing rides proved that I hadn't figured this one out. So I tried every angle from back to forward, slid the saddle up, slid it back and nothing was working. Finally, just yesterday I dropped my seat height 2mm., tilted the saddle more nose down than i had done before, slide it rearward about 1mm or so...and boom!!! That was it. I found it. The setup. Went out for 25 miles to test it and I was happy. No more searing sitbones. In the end I think the saddle was a bit high and I'd had it tilted back just a bit much.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Older Specialized Rival, San Marco SKN, cheapo Sette model way back when.

Submitted by dno a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2011

Weaknesses:    Was expensive, but now cheaper this year (50 cheaper for the old SL version). It is also a little heavier than something like the Antares, but 50grams for comfort etc is a non issue for me.

Bottom Line:
I have used many saddles, Arione, Toupe, Aliante, Flite, Antares and this is by far the best so far. I perfer that it is firmer than the toupe as I found the flex on the toupe over time uncomfortable. Compared the Fizik's and Flite the reduced taint pressure is significant and very important for me. No comparison for me. The closest I have found is the Antares from Fizik, which was a good saddle, but the taint relief and comfort of the Romin is just better.

I have ridden up to 135 miles a day on with no issues, and it is equally at home racing or being used for recretional rides. I like this saddle that much that I have 3 in storage at home and by extras whenever they are on sale.

Purchased At:   Mikes Bikes