Specialized Toupe Saddles

4.06/5 (89 Reviews)

Specialized's Toupe is a minimalist saddle with Specialized's Body Geometry technology for top-notch comfort. It features a carbon-reinforced shell, ultra-light foam padding and hollow titanium rails for extreme lightness. More importantly, with 3 widths to choose from, Specialized's world-renowned ergonomics and a water-resistant Micromatrix top, this high-tech seat is amazingly comfortable and durable, too.

Submitted by Ken

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2015

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
The Toupé Expert Gel, Ti rails, 143mm, came stock on my new 2015 Roubaix Pro Disc. Have about 600 miles on it and so far has been the most comfortable seat I have ridden. Ride distances from 11 mile work commute to 85 mile sportive. Had a Ritchey WCS on my old bike, that I was happy enough with, but the Toupé is significantly more comfortable with a good surface finish. Little on the grippy side but no sliding around, which is good. Looking for one to put on the Serotta. I am 173cm, 76kg. Bikes are soooo cool. I know, stating the obvious.

Similar Products Used:   ProLogo, yuck
Avocet, back in the day, nice saddle but not made anymore

Bike Setup:   2015 Specialized Roubaix, Pro Disc Race - bone stock : )

Submitted by Yvonne Nyakana

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2015

Strengths:    Comfort, durability, look and design, quality materials

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
I am a woman roadie and I struggled with many months on the wrong saddles. It was frustrating to know I could ride further, but a sore seat always shortened my rides and lengthened my recovery time as well. Finally during a custom fit in preparation for a multi-day ride, I confided in my adjustment consultant about my discomfort and he suggested that perhaps I consider a bike with a narrow seat. I had nothing to lose, so I agreed sight unseen. He put the Specialized Troupe on my aluminum Defy. Riding on the right saddle after struggling for so long, what an awesome feeling. Now I recently purchased a carbon Avail Advanced and I plan to invest in another Specialized Troupe.

Submitted by Gary Blalock

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I'm a Roadie!!!! I've ridden a road bike for five years now and I'm in my late forties. I've bought several high end saddles, never found one I liked.Money wasted, I went to a bike shop just outside of Ashville NC and purchased a Specialized Toupe Plus and placed onto my Kestrel road bike. I was fitted for a 154mm and the salesman recomended this saddle. I wanted to purchase a Specialized saddle after all I'd read and heard about from other riders. I LOVE this seat. make the move and try one for yourself. A thirty mile ride with no pain and I haven't even gotten it broken in yet. I can only imagine it will even feel better as time and rides go by. I'm just a weekend warrior but I try to ride a few rides a week or 75 miles. This was worth every penny just for the comfort. With the other saddles over twenty miles was complete pain. and you needed a day between rides just to recover. this is one thing worth buying.. Trust me... Good Luck and Safe Riding....

Submitted by David McPherson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    Really like the BG fit and sit bone sizing on the Toupe. Have had fizik and Selle San Marco saddles over the years, and the 142 width fits perfectly and makes for a very comfortable ride - short and long, in the drops and slid back a bit on the climbs. No numb bits or abrasions from wing edges, etc.

Weaknesses:    That said, have had two failures in 3 years. I'm 200 lbs and ride smooth roads with very little "pave", but 2 years ago the left wing cracked. Got a replacement under warranty, and today one of the rails gave way. Good thing was only 10 miles into the ride.

Bottom Line:
Great design and dig the BG science. It works. Durability seems to be a problem however.

Purchased At:   CycleSmithy Chicago

Similar Products Used:   fizik Antares, Selle San Marco Aspide, Specialized Avatar,

Bike Setup:   Colnago CLX 2.0, Campy Chorus 10, Looks, Campy Zondas

Submitted by Colin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, looks good, lasts well

Weaknesses:    May only be useable on certain bikes, very strange.

Bottom Line:
I bought this saddle for my carbon Bianchi after snapping a rail on my Fizik. Popped it on, got changed and headed out. Jeez, 100 mtrs in I thought i had forgot to put the saddle on, the pain was so great. Suffered for another hour and returned home near to tears. Ordered another Fizik that afternoon. However, thought I would try it on my Orange P7 commuter bike and cannot believe the difference, simply the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden over long distances ! So the moral of the tale is if you like the saddle, change bikes as you can't change your butt !

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere away from work !

Purchased At:   Grips, Rayleigh, Ess