Terry Fly Cromoly Gel Saddles

Vinyl cover. A good choice for training and racing. Reduces pressure from the front of the saddle. Steel rails. 295g/10.4oz.

Submitted by Michael Paul

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2013

Strengths:    -So comfortable you won't know it's there
-Competitively light and in some cases lighter than most pure racing saddles
-Has a sweet spot to push against for powering up hills seated.

Weaknesses:    Starts to tear after about two years. Carbon version's rails are tall and don't fit all seatposts.

Bottom Line:
I had the titanium and later, the carbon. Both were perfect, and although some say they are heavy, many top-end saddles are heavier, but none are nearly as comfortable. I also found you can take off the little plastic piece on the back of the saddle and drop over 10 grams. For the carbon, that takes it down to abotu 200 grams even--who can beat that?
I rode with the titanium version for a few months before someone asked me what I thought of it. What surprised me was that I'd forgotten I even had it--it was so comfortable I never thought about my saddle again. The carbon was a little more comfortable than the ti, but the tall rails wouldn't work with all seatposts. Started to show wear after about two years, but not enough to take it down to a 4. After I had the ti and then the carbon, I told myself I'd never get another saddle. I did buy the Terry FLX two years ago and rode it around the block twice--I thought I was getting a colonscopy--awful! I guess my sitbones are too far apart--I sent it back for the Fly carbon. So all Terry saddles aren't as good as the Fly, in my opinion. I know butts aren't all the same.

Submitted by Shield39 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2009

Strengths:    No numbness or tingling, I wanted it to work because I really enjoyed the look and feel.

Weaknesses:    Vinyl cover not properly glued, extremely painful for my sitbones.

Bottom Line:
This one was not for me. I put about 80 miles on it but it caused my sitbones excrutiating pain once I hit around 14 or 15 miles on a ride. Might be great with break-in but I couldn't give it the time. Based on reviews by others, it might be great for someone with a different shape. Of course, could also be that my bike is a hybrid/fitness model so I'm more upright than a traditional road bike. I moved on and up on the price ladder to a Brooks B17 (still breaking this one in but it was a lot better than the Fly right out of the box). Overall the saddle seemed well made for the price. My only reservation was that the vinyl cover was not consistently glued beneath the seat. There were two small sections that were loose. This did not impact the performance, just wasn't sure how long it would last.

Favorite Ride:   50+ miles, cool early morning

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Giant Unity (factory saddle), Felt factory saddle, Brooks B17.

Bike Setup:   Giant FCR3, stock.

Submitted by BlueGrassBlazer a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2009

Strengths:    Lighter than the BG I was using

Weaknesses:    Not comfortable yet and the leather covering is starting to pull away from the bottom connection point.

Bottom Line:
So far I've got a few hundred miles on the saddle and I'm not completely sold. After about 20 miles or so into a ride, my sits-bones start to really hurt. It's done this on every ride so far. I keep waiting for it to break in but nothing yet.
I replaced a Specialized BG and may have to go back if this doesn't improve soon. There is also a piece of the leather cover that's coming off in the back left of the saddle.

Favorite Ride:   Upright

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Specialized BG and some generic seat that came with the bike.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R500T

Submitted by pacanes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2009

Strengths:    Nice, soft, gel layered and you will survive a double century on this saddle. Cutouts where you need them, support where you need them. High quality construction. Will probably last many thousands of miles.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy compared to my Fizik saddle but I'm not going to win any races. Plus, better to offset the extra weight off my gut. :)

Bottom Line:
I bought this saddle in preparation for the Seattle to Portland (STP) 2009. It's a 200 miles ride. My current saddle was fine for rides less than 3 hours but got unconfortable after that and at 5 hours, got excruciating. I knew that STP will take 10-11 hours and my current saddle (fizik aliante sport) would not do. I read the reviews and decided to take the plunge. Plus the price was right. What a difference this saddle makes. I got into Portland in 11 hours and my butt felt OK. Believe me when I say that no saddle will feel good after 11 hours but this wasn't bad. Was I sore? Sure. Was I in bad shape? No. Was it better that my old saddle? Without question. 24 hours after the ride, my butt was recovered, something that used to take several days from my old saddle. It's not a "racing" saddle but my butt thanks me for it. Plus I didn't notice any performance setbacks compared to my old saddle. I highly recommend for century or longer ride.

Favorite Ride:   any century

Purchased At:   speedgoat.com

Similar Products Used:   Fizik Aliante Sport

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant TCR Comp
Full Ultegra Grouppo except Shimano Compact double crank.
Ultegra pedals
Neuvation R28 Aero2 wheels.
Michelin Race2 tires

Submitted by Marcos_E a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2008

Strengths:    + Comfort: This is hands down the best saddle to ever have held my 170lb butt.

+ Style: I really like the looks of it, it looks fast, but comfortable

+ Value: This saddle has incredible value-to-performance ratio. You can't put price on being able to feel 'yourself' after a ride anyhow.

+ Versatile: I can easily ride this saddle without shorts, it's comfortable from two hours of intervals on my trainer to a quick sprint around town to pick up some pizza!

Weaknesses:    The only caveat I can think of is weight, but even this is hardly an issue. Lose a few if it's such a big deal.

Bottom Line:
Having used anything from a cruiser seat to a wide-butt MTB saddle, and everything in between I can sincerely state that this saddle is the best one I've ever ridden.

It replaced a Selle Italia Gel w/ Ti rails that left me with nasty saddle sores and numb 'fun parts'.

The saddle does carry a minor weight penalty, but the comfort is worth it. You'll ride faster if you're more comfortable, and I can always spare a pound or two.

I can ride this thing without shorts!

Favorite Ride:   Bellevue-Hailey Broadford Road