Home | Reviews | Saddles | WTB

WTB Silverado Team Saddles

Silverado USAGE: Elite Road / Cross Country Racing SIZE: Narrow x long (133mm x 274mm) Titanium rails; ABR corners 205 grams The Silverado’s long, flat shape enables riders to utilize more of ...

Submitted by Lynn Miller a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2010

Strengths:    Long nose, sit bone padding in right spot, kevlar armor, soft padding with hole for extra give up front, titanium rails, light weight, overall shape. This saddle was made for my big 'arse.

Weaknesses:    Not sure the rails would take the beating over the long haul of mountain biking, but WTB's roots are there, and this is on my road bike, so we're good. Colo (cream color was sale color). Could use slightly more padding on sit bone areas. Ability to adjust laterally is not as much as I'm used to. I like sitting well rearward, and I'm timid at moving past the "0-lines" on the rails. Maybe a setback seatpost would counter this...not much really wrong with this...

Bottom Line:
My somewhat cheap Selle San Marco Accaio saddles finally gave up the ghost after 15 years, so I was in the market for a new one. Through the iBOB list, the Fisik Alliante & WTB Silverado saddles came to the front. The WTB was less than half the price of a good Aliante, so I decided to take the plunge.

When the saddle arrived, I was somewhat shocked at the minimalist form, and weight....skeptical, I decided what thew heck, and mounted it on my 1988 Richard Sachs. I could not get the saddle completely level, but very close. After the first ride, I was slightly numb, and my sit bones were feeling the minimal cover.

I changed the clamp around, and was able to get the saddle level. Since then, the seat has been eminently comfortable, and I do not regret the purchase. From the minimal shape to the long nose, which allows multi-seating-positions, to the just right sit bone padding and the "soft-spot" for the male gender (thank you!), this saddle was well thought out, and turned out to be an excellent purchase.

Bottom Line: This was a steal from Jenson. I'm glad I chose this saddle, this was less than 1/2 the price. This saddle was comfortable after the first ride. I had the nose too high, and switched my Thompson clamp around, so I could go level. Since then, the saddle has all but disappeared undr my big 'arse. The best you can say about a saddle. The cream color even matches the pane on my seat tube somewhat...But my butt covers this, so who cares?!

Favorite Ride:   Anytime I'm on the road

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Selle San Marco, Selle Italia turbo's, etc...

Bike Setup:   1988 Richard Sachs, Mixed up Campagnolo/Shimano...Conti GP 400S tires.

Submitted by mtb2road a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2007

Strengths:    Light, firm, yet supportive.

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet.

Bottom Line:
My Felt F4C came with a great looking, but very uncomfortable Velo saddle. I tried a number of saddles, but found most road saddles to be too rounded. I tried the Selle Italia SLK Gel Flow for the cut out, but it was waaaaay too hard on my sit bones. I tried the Bontrager Race Lite Lux and it was too slick and had an add feel. I tried the Fizik Arione and found it to be quite acceptable, but I was still aware of the existence of a saddle. I finally decided to try the WTB Silverado because I love the Rocket V on my MTB. I'm sure glad I tried this saddle out. It has almost the same feel as my Rocket V without the wail tail and after a few minutes of riding, I was no longer aware of the saddle. :-) This saddle has thus far been a dream-come-true. I haven't tried it on a real long ride as yet, but don't see that being much of an issue.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere I can turn cranks :-)

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race Lite Lux, WTB Rocket V, a few stock Velo saddles, Selle Italia SLK Gel Flow, Fizik Arione

Bike Setup:   2007 Felt F4C - Stock except WTB Silverado Saddle and KoolStop brake pads.