Campagnolo Record Carbon Seatposts

• Carbon Fibre Tube - Light Alloy Head

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Moody Cat a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2012

Strengths:    Looks classy and well constructed.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a little short. Poor design that cannot securely maintain saddle position.

Bottom Line:
    Allows the saddle to easily slip to a 45-ish degree nose-up position when the bike hits a bump in the road.

I need a fix for this. Can anybody help?

Similar Products Used:   SR Laprade (1980's single bolt). Campagnolo Record (1980's twin bolt). Post Moderne Bracer.

Bike Setup:   Maximum saddle set-back, which exacerbates the problem.

Submitted by Andy Barnes a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2008

Strengths:    Looks nice. Works a treat.

Bottom Line:
    I read the reviews here and I am a bit surprised. The seatpost and saddle haven't budged since I fitted it, never makes a noise, nothings broken on it. I paid 80 GBP for it and I have ridden 20-30000 km per year on it since 2002. I am 85Kg most of the time, sometimes more (87Kg), sometimes less (81kg - but even inorganic objects start to look like roast chicken at this weight). Sold the bike last week and the seatpost is still in perfect condition. It has been removed and refitted a few times to make transporting the bike easier without any difficulty. Might go and buy another one to replace the BBB post on my new ride:)

Favorite Ride:   Mt Nebo & Mt Glorious, Qld

Purchased At:   Alpine Bikes, Aberde

Similar Products Used:   BBB carbon. X-lite

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Mega Pro L (2000), Full Record groupset. ITM Millenium Carbon forks, stem, bars. Campagnolo Eurus wheels, Flite TT seat. Fast:)

Submitted by jberenyi a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    Very nice looking is about it.

Weaknesses:    Expensive and poor design with respect to the finer serrations in the clamp area. Its just too fine.

Bottom Line:
    I have to agree with another individual below about the shortcomings of this seatpost. It is just downright dangerous to use. It is impossible to line up the serrations in the clamp area accurately without compromising them. I followed the instructions on the manual including proper torque settings and if you go over a mild bump...watch out for the saddle sounding out a large crack sound. That sound is the saddle clamp skipping over the find teeth in the seatpost! My first time out and the saddle moved twice in 20 miles. This is not good. And forget about torquing it tighter. Campy recommends not exceeding 16.2 ft. lbs. or you could snap the bolt when you go over a bump in the road due to excessive force put upon the bolt. I wish I could use this seatpost as I have always loved Record and Chorus products. This time I will have to pass and go with another manufacturer. Imagine being on a Century ride and your seatpost gives out.

Purchased At:   Serotta Forum

Similar Products Used:   FSA K-Force, Ritchey, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Lynskey Level 3 Custom Ti

Submitted by Dennis Rank a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2006

Strengths:    Pretty

Weaknesses:    Doesn't actually work!

Bottom Line:
    This is for the 2006 Chorus carbon post, purchased for a new bike, but it has the same head design as the Record. I'd advise not buying this post.

The problem is in the head design, which uses very fine grooves to (supposedly) help keep the saddle angle and fore/aft position fixed. They simply don’t work, and the saddle slips continually. I have cranked the fixing bolt extremely tight, to the point I worry about either breaking the hex wrench or stripping the bolt threads. It will hold for a couple of days or a couple of weeks, but inevitably when I hit a sharp bump there’s a loud and terrifying CRACK and the seat slips. After this happened a few times the grooves started to get worn and the slipping has gotten worse.

The problem appears to be that there are two sets of grooves, one on the left and one on the right. It’s impossible to tell if you’re in the “same” groove on each side because they’re so finely spaced. If the grooves aren’t exactly matched side to side, then the seat mounting plate is actually sitting at a slight angle (you can’t see this). That means the grooves aren’t fully engaged so no matter how tight that bolt is, the head slips. It may slip even if they ARE correctly engaged – I can’t tell as I’ve never managed to keep it from slipping for more than 3 weeks.