Easton EC70 Seatposts

4.13/5 (24 Reviews)

The EC70 Seatpost features the same CNT carbon construction as the EC90 with an aluminum upper clamp plate for a more affordable price tag. CNT construction blends carbon fiber with Carbon Nanotubes which Easton calls the lightest and strongest structures in existence. Taperwall

Submitted by Jeff D a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2008

Bottom Line:
I don't get too excited about a seatpost...and this one is no exception. Its a bit more comfortable that the stock aluminum one that came on my bike, and I like the setback, but my comments will focus on Easton's customer service. I've had this seatpost for about 2-ish years and 10,000 miles. Last week the helicoil un-threaded from the upper clamp...if you don't know what that means suffice to say that it broke and was unusable. Called Easton's customer service number, talked to Jan, and had a new clamp kit delivered under warranty 3 days later...no cost, and no questions asked. Didn't even demand to see a sales receipt (which I have). I carefully select every piece on my bike and every company I do business with. I will go out of my way to purchase from a company that makes such nice gear and provides that level of post-sale support. Thanks Jan.

Submitted by Mark Woolery a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight. No problems with slipping or the finish degrading over time.

Weaknesses:    350mm model seems prone to breaking. Setback makes it difficult to use toolkit. Adjustment is difficult to fine tune, although once adjusted and tightened it stays put.

Bottom Line:
Purchased when I building up a Kestrel 300Ems. Light weight even though this was the 350mm mt bike version as the shop did not have a 250mm at the time. The set back on this seatpost made it difficult to use a regular tool kit behind it as the velcro strap on the seatpost was cutting through a pair of good riding shorts in one 30 mile ride. Not a problem on my other bike. I had to rig an older toolkit underneath the seat. Other than that it worked fine till just after riding on it for 3 years. Hit a bump on a century ride and heard a loud crack. I thought I had damaged my carbon fiber frame so I took back to the shop. Turned out that the head of the seatpost had cracked and was starting to separate from the post. Shop caught it before that happened and took care of the replacement for no charge. Evidently, this is a problem with the 350mm size models. Shop says it problems with one other on a mt. bike, but no problems with the 250 size.

Shop did a great job isolating the problem as the crack was difficult to find and took care of the free replacement.

Favorite Ride:   Mountain Mama Century

Purchased At:   Bike Beat

Similar Products Used:   Shimano

Bike Setup:   Kestrel 300 with DA triple, Concors Light saddle, CK Headset and Richey HB/Stem.

Submitted by Veronikafan a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2007

Strengths:    Generous saddle setback, light weight

Weaknesses:    poor carbon fiber durability, slips down in frame

Bottom Line:
I chose this seatpost to take advantage of the generous amount of saddle setback it provides. Upon initial installation, it fit snugly into the seat tube of my Lightspeed Classic frame. I certainly didn't have to force it or twist it to get it in, but it wasn't loose, either, It fit properly. The problem started when I removed it to pack the bike for shipment to Hawaii. Although the inside of the frame's seat lug is smooth with no burrs, the epoxy clearcoat on the post disintegrated as I slid it from the frame, leaving a lot of fine, white powder inside the seat tube and on the seatpost shaft itself. Now, it fits too loose, and continually slips down when I ride. I torqued the Campagnolo seatpost binder bolt so tight in an effort to hold the post securely, that the steel bolt snapped.
The solution was to replace the EC70 with an Easton EA70, the identical seatpost, except the shaft is made of aluminum alloy instead of carbon fiber, and it is $40 cheaper. The EA70 weighs less than 30 grams more than the EC70. It doesn't slip in the frame, and I can't feel any difference in the ride quality. So, I recommend the EA70, but not the EC70.

Favorite Ride:   Hunterdon County, NJ

Purchased At:   mail order

Similar Products Used:   Shimano Dura Ace seatpost, American Classic aluminum seatpost, Selcof BiPosition seatpost, old Campagnolo Chorus alloy seatpost

Bike Setup:   1999 Lightspeed Classic, Look LDS fork, Cinelli bar & stem, Turbomatic saddle, Dura Ace group, hand built tubulars.

Submitted by xcmtnbikernm a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, strong, rock solid clamp, 25mm offset

Weaknesses:    None so far in the two years I have used it.

Bottom Line:
Best seatpost period!
Easton say not to, but grease it.

Similar Products Used:   Easton EC90, Thomson Elite, Bontrager Race lite

Submitted by leftnote a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Strengths:    Got a really good price. Totally deadens ride.

Weaknesses:    Had to buy a torque wrench to make sure I don't overtighten but this is good to have anyway. Sometimes not sure how well it will wear after repeated insertions.

Bottom Line:
Even near maximum insert I couldn't believe how much this post deadened vibrations in my seat. Now I realize the tail feels like the head which also sits on a carbon fork. Now I try to ride over gratings and cobblestones.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Aluminum posts (kalloy)

Bike Setup:   Titanium frame, Ouzo Comp fork.

Easton EC70 Zero Setback Performance NEW FOR $59.99, thoughts?

I am looking for a new seat post and was going to get another 3 T Doric Team until i saw this deal from Performance, anybody have this or able to give me a review? Easton EC70 Zero Setback 400mm Seatpost -- CloseoutRead More »

$20 EC70 Stem 130mm

If I had a need for it, I'd buy it. 19.99 at Jensonusa.com Ridiculous price for the '08 model. I own one, and it's holding up great on my commuter. :DRead More »

EC70 fork / tire clearance

Anybody with a EC70 fork running 25mm tires? My new bike has this fork, and it doesn't look like my old bontrager race lite 25mm tires will have enough clearance.Read More »

EC70 0 offset seatpost 30 bux

At [URL="http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/SE402A02-Easton+Ec70+Zero+Seatpost+08.aspx"]Jenson[/URL]. Seems like a really good deal...only if you have a 29.4. :mad2:Read More »

EC70 X Cross Fork

This was my first season of cross racing, and I was pretty happy with the current setup of my bike...except for the fork. What are some opinions of the EC70 X Cross Fork? I was originally interested in the Alpha Q CX20, but honestly didn't realize that they had gone out of business. I found a c ... Read More »