Kalloy Road Seatpost Seatposts

2.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by sluggo55 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2009

Bottom Line:
A kalloy seatpost came with a bike I purchased two years ago. I've had it replaced and will never use another Kalloy. I twice had the seat detach from the seatpost because the bolt that tightens the seat rails to the seatpost sheared off. I've been bike commuting for 34 years and never had a seat come off. The second time it happened, I crashed badly. I first time I thought it was caused by a defective bolt, but now I'm thinking -faulty design. What are the chances of getting two defective bolts, months apart and from different bike shops. I'm not taking any chances- I'm using a different brand.

Bike Setup:   Surly 29er

Submitted by Quentyn Zbikowski a Road Racer from Tucson AZ 85711

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Strengths:    Strong, dependable.

Weaknesses:    Oh my god is this thing ever heavy. Never realized it till I handled lighter alloy, ti and carbon posts. But whatever, you can get one of these for less than $10 now.

Bottom Line:
This is the seatpost that came on the first road bike I ever purchased. An excellent Bianchi that I gave a guy $150 for Early 90's. He needed cash badly. I knew nothing about maintenance or care for a bike at the time and basically abused this thing for thousands and thousands of miles. Never serviced anything. I'm not small. 6'0 210 pound former college ballplayer. The seatpost never moved. I adjusted it once when I first got the bike and it never moved. What more do you want.

Favorite Ride:   Ones with climbs

Purchased At:   0

Similar Products Used:   None. Only alloy post that I have actually used. Only use carbon and ti stuff anymore.

Bike Setup:   Which one?

Submitted by Adam Pollock a Commuter from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Strengths:    Long, strong, cheap.

Weaknesses:    Is it heavy? Is the water bottle empty or full? Not the thing for le Tour, but handy if you don't have le Sponsorship.

Bottom Line:
It's a seatpost. It's an aluminum tube with a clamp on top. It costs fifteen bucks. It comes in any diameter you might need. It's more than a foot long, which may help if your frame isn't tailor-made. It's readily available. It's not bad looking. It won't let water into your downtube. It's not a vise, but the notched rocker clamp with single Allen bolt is easy to adjust. It hasn't come loose on me yet.

It's long. It's strong. It's cheap. If your riding buddies sneer at it, find new ones; it might be everything they're not.

Favorite Ride:   no precipitation = good enough

Purchased At:   bikecult.com/works

Similar Products Used:   American Classic, Superbe Pro.

Bike Setup:   64cm 531C crit frame, 180mm cranks, Open Pros, dual-pivots w/Kool Stop pads, grab-bag geartrain, Turbo saddle.

Submitted by moabbiker a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap?

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
This Kalloy seatpost came stock with my Giant OCR1 Bike. It's basically the cheapest type of seatpost you could possibly get. The weight should make you realize how low end it is: 310g! The adjustments seems fine, though I have only put about 200 miles on it so far. Use this seatpost as a backup, or on a beater bike, NOT your pride and joy.

Similar Products Used:   All sorts

Bike Setup:   Giant OCR1, stock.

Submitted by Stampertje a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work

Bottom Line:
It's cheap, it looks nice, Kalloy has a decent name, but it just doesn't work for me. I'm relatively heavy at 190 lbs., and no matter how much I torque the bolt this post will not keep my saddle level. It takes about 15 minutes for it to start pointing back up. I should note that I have hade similar problems with other (even cheaper) designs before. It might just work fine for somebody else. If it does, this should be a great deal.

Favorite Ride:   Out of my front door

Purchased At:   Kersten Wielersport

Similar Products Used:   Commuter bike seat posts with a seperate clamp - same problem. Heavy no-name road bike seat posts that worked fine.

Bike Setup:   Surly Cross Check, Lepper Voyager saddle

Fizik Carbon Road Seatpost on Amazon

This must be a mistake that will be corrected in the morning, but I just bought a Fizik Carbon Seatpost, 27.2 x 270mm, for $11.69. :eek: I'm guessing someone at BikeSomeWhere is going to be hating life very soon.Read More »

Difference between mountain seatpost and road seatpost

I was thinking of buying an Oval concepts road seatpost, but they also have a mountain bike seatpost with the same diameter but a different length for much cheaper price. Is there any difference between the two other than weight?Read More »

Thud Buster seatpost on a road bike

Is it possible to put a seatpost like the Cane Creek 3G Thudbuster Seatpost on a road bike? It may look kind of funny, but I think if there is clearance the post could be very comfortable. Has anyone tried this? Will I lose any power through my pedal stroke due to a suspension seat post? Will other ... Read More »

Road Seatpost

I have used a Moots Laidback Seatpost for about 5 years. I am 6'2" and 230lbs. I enjoy riding a stiff aluminum frame. The Moots seatpost makes the ride very comfortable even on the stiffest Cannondale frame. I am not a bit fan of carbon, but I am looking to replace my Moots as it has gotten old a ... Read More »