Profile Design Fast Forward Seatposts

3.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Profile Design Fast Forward Aluminum Seatpost: The Fast Forward Aluminum is a triathlon and time trial specific seatpost that, when used with a standard road geometry frame, allows the rider to obtain a position commonly found with...

Submitted by Peter Gemmell a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2010

Strengths:    cheap/effective. Works fine for 5'11", 31inch inseam, 56cm frame.

Weaknesses:    heavy - but not an issue on flat ground.

Bottom Line:
I converted by Trek 5200 to a pseudo time trial bike with this seatpost, C2 aerobars, a 150mm stem, and rolf vector pro wheels. The profile seatpost has been very helpful is getting more aero/forward position and with the other modifications above has increased my average speed by about 3mph.

Favorite Ride:   American River bike trail

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200, Syntace C2 aerobars, 150mm stem, rolf vector pro wheels, this seatpost.

Submitted by Gcortese a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2009

Strengths:    Comfort and power.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Puts you in a more comfortable aero position and a more powerful pedaling position over the original road seat post that came with the bike. I do not aero in group rides.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale 9-7

Purchased At:   Pro Bike, OKC

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 9-7 aerolite aerobars modified to be able to use the hood.

Submitted by Ventruck a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2009

Strengths:    Performance in just about every aspect. Better pedaling form, more aero dyanamic. Grealty benefits frames that have more acute seat tube angles. Feels very rigid and not retro-fitted. Great alternative to getting a new frame/bike.

Weaknesses:    Length/height; As far as I know, there's only 270-310mm sizes available. Taller (over 6'0) hybrid riders or riders with compact TT frames may not really benefit from this.

Bottom Line:
I love it. It makes the bike geometry closely work toward my sprint-like running physiology. As a result, my pedal power and efficiency has dramatically increased and probably improving my average speed by about 1-2 mi/h. Aerodynamically, there was a big difference as well. I usually give up riding hard when dealing with 20mi/h winds, but not with the Fast Forward seatpost - I can deal with such winds nowadays and enjoy my ride a bit more.

I will note that I am using a hybrid - so my seat tube is tilting backwards, which I don't like because my legs perfer to more be over the bottom bracket. Also, the bend in the Fast Forward can act against the seatpost's diagonal extension, giving me the extra height I'm looking far without really compromising how forward I want to be.

The Fast Forward is a great alternative for such riders that don't have the money for another bike/frame. The fit doesn't feel retro at all, but rigid and integrated. Handling can improve for some frames such as my hybrid's as the center of mass is more in hte middle. Boad and tri bikes however may feel that the center of mass can be too far forward.

Weight is something to consider as this post uses more material to achieve the same height. I wouldn't get bent out of shape. I never noticed the weight change, and ended up being faster and more comfortable. Seatposts can make the the biggest difference in performance when compared to most parts. They change the rider form more than the bicycle - and that's what's important.

In terms of feeling cramped, I wouldn't call that a con of the Fast Forward. If you have the right stem and handlebar setup (as well as a properly sized frame), you shouldn't have a problem. Sure it may require other purchases, but it's all going to a better fitting bike.

I have a 270mm version. Websites say the max. usable length is 198mm. I'm 5'11, and need to already be at that max setting. This probably stands as the only con: length. The price is justified as there aren't many seaposts like this on the market.

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Edgewood fitted with a lot upgrades that I'd pick up from sales.

Submitted by casillod a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2009

Strengths:    Good idea

Weaknesses:    Not long enough for tall riders

Bottom Line:
The design is simple and effective. However, as others have indicated, the "min height" indicator on the tube can be pretty limiting. I ride a Specialized Allez Elite, and at 6'1" I require a good bit of seat tube height. This seatpost doesn't allow me to increase height to where I need. I'm currently disregarding the minimum seat height measurement so that I can use the tube, but if I had known this before purchase, I wouldn't have bought this.

Favorite Ride:   Fast, flat roads

Purchased At:   Amazon Marketplace

Similar Products Used:   Stock carbon seatpost with bike.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Allez Elite 2008, Profile Design T2+ Aeorbar, Fast Forward seatpost.

Submitted by John a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap way to change riding position to tri-style. seattube angle: 73 to 78/80 degrees.

Weaknesses:    Limited max. Height. Quite heavy.

Bottom Line:
Good option in combination with aerobar. Angle of seat tube is virtually increased which is better for aerodynamic position and suposes to ease the transition from bike riding to running.

Favorite Ride:   Fuik/Jan Thiel

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Merida 905C (XL) with Profile Design aerobar.

Fast Forward wheels set Authentic?

I purchased a Focus bike with what are suppose to be a Fast Forward 50MM Wheelset. I received the bike, everything good except the wheelset has sticker decals, and everywhere I look Fast Forward wheels say there decals are under a gloss finish? Does anyone know if All Fast Forward wheelsets have a ... Read More »

20% off fast Forward, Zipp, Vision and Fulcrum Wheels

20% off fast Forward, Zipp, Vision and Fulcrum Wheels at Wiggle. Also 20% off DHB, Assos and Gore clothing. [url]http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?r=1030[/url] [img]http://tidd.ly/fe6d658[/img] [img]http://tidd.ly/cc335795[/img] [img]http://tidd.ly/db144650[/img] [img]http://tidd.ly/ba326e3e[/ ... Read More »

Fast Forward Carbon Wheels

Has anyone ridden Fast Forward wheels (FFW)? I have found the F5R carbon wheels with DT 190 hubs to be priced equal to or below ZIPP, Easton, and Reynolds at $1,792. The F5R wheels with DT 240's are priced even less at around $1,400. With the 190 hubs I don't see how these wheels can compar ... Read More »

Regulations and the Profile Design Fast Forward.

Scenario: -I overall prefer a more forward position. -The seatpost that came with my Giant TCR is a setback post - which the few mm's of setback are still keeping me from my "perfect fit". -With the idea of racing down the road (starting out as a Cat 5), and already owning a Profile Design Fast F ... Read More »

Any experience with Fast Forward Wheels?

I noticed this companies wheels being sold on Probikekit.com. They also have a web site. There pricing seems reasonable ($1200 for a 38mm tubular with DT hubs and spokes). I wonder who makes there rims? Any info is appreciated.Read More »