Thomson Elite Setback Seatposts

4.96/5 (23 Reviews)

The legendary design and construction of the proven Elite seatpost by Thomson, in a layback design for riders desiring a bit more setback. Post and cradle are constructed from one piece of 7000-series aluminum. Please note: Thomson does no...

Submitted by bdaghisallo1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    Ease of adjustment and repeatability of adjustment. No creaking and holds the rails well. Aluminum and not carbon. The clamp is the best in the business.

Weaknesses:    Kink on the SB version not too pretty, but it's functionality and the superiority of the clamp overcome this single shortcoming.

Bottom Line:
I have tried many others and I always come back to old faithful. Thomson is the best.

Favorite Ride:   Sunny and warm ones

Purchased At:   competitive cyclist

Submitted by kpny1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    EASY TO ADJUST--why can't other seat makers make a seatpost that is easy to adjust??

Beautiful looking. (I've got the black version)

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I LOVE this seatpost. I tried to name my firstborn Thomson, but my wife nixed it.

I've just re-learned how much I love it because I upgraded my bike, and the Thomson setback seatpost on my old bike doesn't fit the new bike. It's been very frustrating to dial in the seat on the new post.

This post is beautiful to look at, easy to install, easy to adjust, and STRONG.

Great visual indicators make it easy to dial in the post to precise angles, and dual bolts make the north/south adjustment oh so easy.

Why are you still reading this post? You should be buying this seatpost.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Lightweight carbon babies that make seat adjustment a day-long affair of frustrating guesswork while my Thomson laughs.

Bike Setup:   Colnago CLX
Crappy carbon difficult-to-adjust seatpost
Terry Ti Fly saddle
Ultegra SL gruppo

Submitted by shakenbake a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2007

Strengths:    Strong
Adjustment mech.
Reversible

Weaknesses:    MSRP

Bottom Line:
Had this on my Wilier Sestriere to hold a Selle Italia Prolink saddle. Very well mad product. Rails never slip, holds the saddle tilt (confirmed with a level). The best adjustment mechanism that I've ever tried. And for the record, I'm about 200#. The somewhat short setback might be a problem for some, but it fits me just fine

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Ritchey Pro
Ultegra

Submitted by Jlicciarde a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2007

Strengths:    Quality one-piece construction.
Several sizes diameter and lengths
Made in USA
Priced less then most carbon post that ate less quality.
Set back can be reversed for a forward position for a road bike that has been set up for TT

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I own 3 Thompson Seatpost 2 are set back and the other is a zero set back for my TT bike. Quality made in Macon Ga. I switched most of my bikes from Carbon to Thompson Alum.

Favorite Ride:   Any Hilly Ride

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Carbon

Bike Setup:   Litespeed sienna Ultegra 10

Submitted by michaelwoodardcpa a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2006

Strengths:    Perfect machining, just works as intended. Set it and forget it.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest post, no bling like carbon.

Bottom Line:
After a recent failure of the FSA seatpost that came with my Cervelo R3, I replaced the hot supermodel post(FSA SLK) with the girl next door (Thomson Setback). Dependable and she loves me.

As others havce written, it is light, strong, easy to adjust, doesn't slip and cradles the rails. Weight is acceptable for dependability.

Favorite Ride:   Ooltewah Loop