Campagnolo Chorus Ergopower QS Shifters

Campagnolo Chorus-QS Ergopower 10sp Shifters: Body and levers in composite characterize the Ergopower? Chorus? controls, with lightness and strength for the most demanding athletes. The left-hand control is of the QS? type to interface...

Submitted by rideorglide a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Strengths:    Hidden cable routing. Two options for the side-most cable.
Reliability. Predictability. Intuitive.
Shifts down and up multiple cogs at a time if desired.
Several trim clicks possible if desired to optimally position der cage to eliminate any chain rub on cage.
Front der shifting is world class.

Weaknesses:    Some would say price, but most shifters in this league are pricey no matter the brand.
I can;t remember exactly what I paid, but it was a little below market price. Worth it.

Bottom Line:
A smooth and delightful shifting experience. Set up and tuning was a relatively smooth and easy process even for this recreational user.

Works perfectly with my 2008 Campy Centaur drivetrain very easily. I chose the Chorus Ergopower QS because it allows the rider to shift a good way up or down the cassette with one throw of the lever. I can't say all the way in one go, but close, might be a matter of tuning, or I haven;t tried hard enough (?). Either way my setup is working very well and I don't want to mess with it.

Once I was used to the shifting nuances I was able to avoid unintentional over shifts. The shifting could best be described as intuitive from then on.

I don't have particularly large hands but these work well. I don't brake much from the drops, except when descending. Braking from the hoods is possible though not recommended by the manufacturer.

Shifting break-in process was almost unnoticeable if there was one. Either way, it's as smooth and solid as others before have alluded to.

Thumb paddles are fine and more fun to use than I would have guessed. Fun may be a taboo word, but they zip down the cassette in a gratifying hurry.

If there's any critique I'd offer, it's that the plastic/composite shift paddles are a tiny bit on the flexy feeling side. Reason for those who are fanatical to chose Record if they want to spend the extra.

FRont shifting from 50-34 and back -- once properly tuned -- is dream like and sometimes so quiet and smooth you almost don't know it happened. Amazing.

For me, no regrets there. Great shifting for one of the bike's primary human interfaces. Yeah, even fun.