Campagnolo Veloce ErgoPower Shifters

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Campagnolo Veloce Ultra-Shift Ergopower 10sp Shifters: Composite body with aluminum brake and shift lever. Ergonomic hood design follows the asymmetry of the hand, increasing the contact area of the palm and offering multiple...

Submitted by roy1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2004

Strengths:    durable, reliable and the thumbdownshifters for going to small cogs on the right-hand and going down for the chainrings on the left-hand. this is unigue and what i prefer compare to shimano which uses only the levers.

Weaknesses:    campy price! and availability

Bottom Line:
bought this bike back in 99' and came equipped with campy veloce 9spd. shifted flawless till this year, just a couple of weeks ago. i would have to push a little harder to go to a bigger cog around the middle. since then i dropped lubed thru the cable housings, shifter pivots, derailers and let it sit for a week. lately i been logging in 60-70 miles in the wknd. i ride my mtn bike once or twice in the wkdays. back to my road bike, i have over 6700 miles on the computer since i bought it and never once replaced the chain or any part of the drivetrain. i just replace the veloce(wheelset) which we're heavy and the nipples had green corrosion. i now have campy scirroco which are a lot lighter and more stylish black dish wheelset. i was gonna replace the chain, but campy chainset cost like $40! so decided to wait till it brakes and change the whole rings, cogs and chain. still waiting.

Favorite Ride:   65 plus miles

Purchased At:   El Toro Cyclery

Bike Setup:   99'trek 5000 oclv cf, campy veloce 9 spd, koobi AU enduro seat, campy scirroco wheelset.

Submitted by king4wd a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2004

Strengths:    Quick shifts, wide hoods are supportive and feel great!

Weaknesses:    cable housing that's too long can cause sloppy shifting.

Bottom Line:
Got these with the Veloce group. Nice feel, now. A bit stiff a first, but properly setting them up and then a good tuning got them feeling great. Had a tendency to overshift until I learned how to adjust them.

Favorite Ride:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   repartocorse.com

Similar Products Used:   downtube shifters from Suntour, Shimano rsx & 105

Bike Setup:   Basso coral w/Campy Veloce group, Fir net97 rims, Schwalbe blizzard sport tires, FSA OrbitX headset am.Classic post and San Marco Ozono race gel saddle.

Submitted by richsanque a Recreational Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    Crisp-feeling shifting, comfy hoods.

Weaknesses:    Initially takes a little more effort to move shift levers. A little slow going into the big ring.

Bottom Line:
These babies very recently replaced a pair of Ultegras that kicked the bucket after less than one year of service. . I've tried Daytona shifters once before, but didn't like the small feel of the hoods in my hands. I like a roomy brake hood. Coming back to Campy now, my opinion has changed somewhat. Maybe I'm just justifying my purchase, but now I find the hoods to be quite comfortable. I really like the suppleness of the rubber (heh-heh) that Campy uses. As for shifting precision, I've had no problems at all using a Shimano cassette. At the risk of using a tired cliche, shifts sound and feel crisp going up and down the range. I'll admit that it takes more effort than Shimano to move both shift levers, but I've heard that it gets easier with time. Also, like the other reviewers, I've noticed that I have to throw the left shifter quite a distance to get into the big ring.

Favorite Ride:   Summer Skool/OTC

Purchased At:   Excel Sports

Similar Products Used:   Shimano RSX 7sp (very reliable), 105 9sp (stinks), 600 8sp (the bomb), 6510 9sp (trash).

Bike Setup:   Leader LD715, Bonty Race Lite wheels, Kenesis alloy fork, 105 brakes, Ultegra crank, SRAM R9 cassette

Submitted by Daz Karjama a Road Racer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2001

Strengths:    Clinky positive shift indexing.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
This is a much better system, quality wise, than shimano 105 or even (Especially) Ultegra. I've destroyed two ultegra set -ups myself and seen/read of many failures of the shifter brake lever mechanism. This is, theoretically, a step down from Ultegra in the campag range of things, but it works in a much more reliable fashion. I havn't had a single problem with the system since I purchased it second hand from a guy a worked with. I rode through the dirty streets of stinky London for a month before I returned to Canada and did not have a single incident of ghost shifting or lack of indexing. This units are loud, clunky and have a very positive "click" when they're brand new, but this gets better with age. A shimano shifter is at its best the day you buy it; from there on in its down hill in quality and reliability, but not with these. I suggest any Campag product over its Shimano equivalent, it may have a higher sticker price but, you have to believe me it's worth the money ten times in the ammount of hassel you will avoid.
bottom line: it works, its cheap, its made by italians who workship cycling as a pastime.

Favorite Ride:   back from the pub on the train

Purchased At:   On Your Bike at London Bridge