Mavic SSC Shifters

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

• Multiple shifter buttons.
  • Large LCD screen.
  • Fast precision gear shift.
  • Adjustment stability in time due to the wireless transmission.
  • Wireless transmission: - more lightweight cable + tube.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by TWB8s a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2003

Strengths:    Light weight, multiple shifter positions, it isn't Shimano. I purchased the version with the shifter button that has a couple of feet of wire. it allows me to have a shifter on the left handlebar just under my hand. Has a massive "gee-whiz" factor when seen by geeks not in the know. The lever travel for the brakes is fine for my old school Campy Deltas. The QR for the brakes is the silver button on the leading edge of the lever. It is easy to open the QR and doesn't close after the brakes are applied. The hood shape is good for climbing position and for a semi-aerobar position the shifter button on the horn of the brake is perfect. Front shifter throw is easy and nonindexed. Tuning for chain rub is fast and easy.

Weaknesses:    The electronics make me wonder. I had the original head/transmitter take a crap after I nailed a pothole. Fortunately I was only a few blocks from the shop and they replaced it on the spot. That head/transmitter has worked reliably ever since. I did need to replace the batteries on the head, wheel sensor & deraileur this spring. Great operation ever since. When climbing my index or middle finger sometimes will bump the shifter button on the backside of the brake lever. This results in an up-shift (harder gear) which is the last thing I need on a hill.

Bottom Line:
    It works fine. It is disheartening that Mavic quit distributing the system and I'd be curious to here why various teams in europe wouldn't go with it. I pull my daughter in a trailer 4 times a week for a total of ~100 miles a week and with the extra 80lbs plus my 180lbs it hasn't missed a shift. Even under maximum pedal/chain stress of climbing an 8% grade it still shifts to a 25 tooth cog.

Purchased At:   Cronometro, Madison,

Similar Products Used:   the remote on our DVD player?

Bike Setup:   Seven Axiom, Mektronic with Mavic Front Deraileur, Record 9 cranks, Dura-ace 9 chain, Ultegra cassette, Record Delta brakes, Cronometro (Cane Creek) wheels.

Submitted by Edddie B. a Recreational Rider from S.F.Bay Area,Ca USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    Good idea, ahead of its time.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work. I have had nothing but trouble with these. Mavic will not return calls or e-mails from myself or my LBC.

Bottom Line:
    Mektronic is crap. I'll be replacing it soon. Anyone interested in it? Let me know I'll give you a deal.

Favorite Ride:   my next one

Purchased At:   came with bike

Similar Products Used:   If you think of gruppo's, everything Shimano.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Team. Mavic Mekjunk. Mavic Helium wheelset. Dura Ace cranks,brakes front derailleur. Easton post. Yada,yada, yada.

Submitted by Brogan Adams a Road Racer from Sunnyside Or. USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2000

Strengths:    Ease of shifting, multiple position to shift, and they look good

Weaknesses:    The right shifter hummes on ruff foad

Bottom Line:
    This is the best shifter out there. I think that st is the future of shifting. I love these things.

Favorite Ride:   smooth pavment please

Similar Products Used:   Ultegra

Bike Setup:   Cannondale R-4000

Submitted by Eric a Recreational Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2000

Strengths:    Location of shifting buttons, aero levers for multiple hand positions, look great, eliminates cable down the side of the bike, friction shift for front der. is great

Weaknesses:    Erratic shifting on bumps, cyclocomputer sucks, extra weight

Bottom Line:
    They're a great conversation piece, work well even in the rain- EXCEPT- Sometimes I get downshifts if I hit a bump, it has to be a pretty good shock, but it does what I call, "Ghost shifting". On one occasion I hit a bump (joint on an overpass) and it shifted into my 12 tooth cog and it took over 2 minutes before I could get it to shift out. THAT SUCKED! If I raced I wouldnt use 'em, if I had to buy them new I'd say forget it, I trades someone for mine. Also, the computer functions sucked- I went back to my avocet 45tt after 2 rides.
    Bottom line- if they can fix the erratic shifting, they'd be great- otherwise stick w/ the cheaper stuff.