Shimano 105 ST-5600 Shifters

• 10-speed compatible
  • SIS-SP41 cable housing

Submitted by nonverbal a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2009

Strengths:    Good shifting performance compared to DA.
Good polish on the matal surface.
May not be the best,but comfortable enough to small hands.

Weaknesses:    a bit pricey compare to Ultegra and SRAM Rival.
Not easy to service compared to Campy and SRAM.
Quality control(have noticed that some ST-5600 levers is accidently broken when using,and Shimano have made a recall)

Bottom Line:
I about these second-handed levers from a friend,so the price is pretty low.I have a rarely small hand(I'm a man,but I have two small palms and short fingers compared to others...),and to me,the ergo design is worse than 7800/7900 levers.Also,Shimano R700 series' ergo design is better.Due to my small hand,I want to use Campagnolo Ergopower,and just can't get accustomed to them.I like the design of SRAM shifters,they'll become my next choice.

The feeling of ST-5600 shifters is almost the same when changing gears,although I think the durability and ergo design is quite different.The shifter is polished ,better than SRAM Rival shifters,however.So,if you have a rarely small pair of hands,you should choose the new ergo-designed shifters like Shimano 7900/Campagnolo Ultrashift/SRAM or just use Shimano ST-7800 or R700 shifters in my opinion.ST-5600 is not bad for small hands,but could be better.And,if you want the shifting performance of Shimano system,these shifters is cheap enough for providing everything.Although I haven't have the chance to test the durability,I have friends that use these shifters for 20000miles,and he told me that theperformance is starting to reduce after 10000miles.I think that may become my answer.

Favorite Ride:   something hilly

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   Shimano DuraAce 7800 levers
Shimano Non-series components R700 levers
SRAM Red shifters
SRAM Rival shifters(good and cheap for racing)
Campagnolo Record shifters
Campagnolo Centaur shifters(above two are ergopowers')
Campagnolo SuperRecord(Ultrashift,much better for me,but I don't like the hood's shape)
Campagnolo Veloce Shifters(Ultrashift,metal surface polish is pretty bad compared with Shimano)

Bike Setup:   2005 Felt CA1 frame builded with Shimano 105 groupo.

Submitted by sergioav a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    warranty

Weaknesses:    Stupid cost-saving design

Bottom Line:
Ok guys, well I have the new 5600 105 shifters and after 220 miles my left shifter broke. Come to find out, Shimano has been making the 5600 series for double and triple compatible! So stupid. So, when the cables stretch after usage, a person tends to shift harder to get to the big ring. Thus breaking the internal pawl and the shifter is screwed. I just went through this ordeal and Shimano has come out with a specific double left shifter to solve the problem. It took them 2 weeks, but I am getting my new one tomorrow. FYI. The other ones suck and constantly break.

Favorite Ride:   Lake Wohlford to Palomar Mtn.

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace and XTR shifters.