Shimano Dura-Ace SL-BS79 bar-end Shifters

Shimano's Dura-Ace Bar-End Shifters are great for tourists, commuters, cyclocrossers, triathletes and time trialers. They provide precise and reliable

Submitted by Jacob Spangler a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth shifting, cheaper than STI shifters. I liked them until they broke. This would be fine if Shimano cared enough to replace them.

Weaknesses:    SHIMANO DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. You are one of millions, and they dominate the market. Good luck with getting something replaced.

Bottom Line:
These things worked well for a whole year. They shifted very smoothly, although they click very loudly. I was loving them the whole time...but, after a year the shifter for the rear began to have indexing problems. It seemed like it was never perfectly adjusted across the gear range. After 16 months, the shifter busted apart as I shifted. I caught the pieces, due to the way the shifters work while on drop bars. The ring that has indents for the indexing had split in two, and the casing for the shifter did the same. I think it had been cracked internally for a while, which would explain the past couple months of wonky shifting. Oh well, I says, and I put it in friction mode, where it sits to this day. I don't mind this mode, but this still sucks.

Here's to the fun part, and this should be familiar by now. Despite the THREE YEAR WARRANTY, Shimano refuses to send a new one. They told the bike shop not to even bother sending it in. It has a couple small scratches on the outer part (opposite side of the working bits), so they said I must have hit a tree or had a wreck. I guess no one at the big S has ever leaned their commuter bike against a wall, tree, etc. Never mind that this is the only mark on the entire bicycle, I must have wrecked it... last product I buy from them, Rohloff here I come. I'm not getting burned like this again.

Favorite Ride:   American River Trail

Purchased At:   Mad Cat Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Various other styles of shifters.

Bike Setup:   Stock Surly LHT with added fenders and racks, as well as lights, bell, computer, etc.