Shimano Dura-Ace ST-7700 Shifters

• Optical Gear Display

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by leeh795 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    (compared to 105 / ultegra)
    - "softer/more sensitive" feel when shifting
    - "smooth" braking feel - shifters seem to have some absorbing material to give that "relaxed" feel.
    - the worthy thing to buy DURA-ACE!

Weaknesses:    - makes 105s/ultegra shifters feel lame
    - these things can cost a lot!

Bottom Line:
    Was building a bike by hand; saw bunch of these USED on ebay so i gave them a try; THEY ARE THE BEST $#@$!@ SHIFTERS I HAVE EVERY USED o_O; still worked great used!

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   - ultegra / 105 9-speed shifters

Bike Setup:   2004 specialized s-works frame
    - dura-ace crank / shifter
    - ultegra dérailleurs / cassette / brakes
    - neuvation wheels

Submitted by cz85b a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2007

Strengths:    Crisp feel on shifting, I like the feel of these hoods over the Campy because I don't have the feeling that I am sliding off of the front!

Weaknesses:    Well, nothing is perfect, so I will leave my reporting at that.. If you use stainless cables, and replace them once or twice per season (depending on mileage) AND if you don't crash, they should last quite a while!

Bottom Line:
    Shimano's best of the best is what everyone thinks of when he/she speaks of Dura Ace... Well, I can testify that not everything that wears the label "Dura Ace" is good...

These Shifters, however, are actually very nice! The comparison is the Ultegra 6500 shifters, and there truly is no comparison. The 7700's have a feel that is much more crisp. I have a set that has seen 25,000 miles, and they are still fully functional! (now watch them fold on my next ride...)

Weight? Well, I am not a weight weenie, and anyone who has done any homework on shopping for shifters knows that the Campy carbon stuff is about half a pound lighter.. Now, I like Shimano... given the choice I will buy Shimano regardless of anything else, because everything, in the final analysis, will fold given the time/distance.. Shimano is more reasonably priced than the competition, and its quality really is no less.. (and I have broken everything, I should know! LOL)

Favorite Ride:   Anything longer than 200 miles

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Campy Record, Chorus, and Ultegra

Bike Setup:   all three are high end with high end components...

Submitted by vio765 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    has never failed me. they are DA!

Weaknesses:    absolutely none

Bottom Line:
    fantastic shifters.

Favorite Ride:   my bike is my throne

Purchased At:   excel.com

Similar Products Used:   nothing but this

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR, Zipp 404s, FSA carbon cockpit, Ultegra derailleurs, DA shifters, speedplay pedals.

Submitted by dalauros@direcway.com a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Strengths:    Warranty lasts 3 years

Weaknesses:    They keep breaking.

Bottom Line:
    I have had these 9 speed dura ace shifters for 2 years. I have only put abut 2000 miles on them and I am returning them to shimano for the second time to be fixed under warranty. The small inner down shift lever will not downshift the rear derraileur. If they break thay can not be repaired by anyone. If they are out of warrany and they break throw them away. (A new 10 speed set of dura ace shifters retails for over $400.) If campy breaks the internal parts are available and they can be fixed.

Similar Products Used:   Campy record and chorus.

Bike Setup:   Shwinn paramount steel.

Submitted by fiddledoc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2004

Strengths:    -beautifully made
    -3 year warranty
    -hopefully more durable, less noisy.
    -worth 229, though don't know if I'd shell out for the current retail of $374.

Weaknesses:    -needs more force to operate than ultegra or 105, especially when releasing inner lever.
    -too bad Shimano couldn't engineer in adjustability for reach from bar.

Bottom Line:
    When my 105 levers started developing the expected problems (caps dropping off in the road, rattling, left shifter hanging up) I decided to pay a little more for DA rather than waste money on Ultegra or 105.
    These are great levers, although I wish the releases needed a little less pressure. I also wish the trim needed less pressure; it takes a lot more finger pressure to taper the large chainring than the middle, which needs just a slight push--it should be consistent, I would think. I really like the feel of braking.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   jensenusa

Similar Products Used:   105--worked great for about 3 years.

Bike Setup:   2 wheels, some plastic things, a seat. no bell or basket.