Shimano Dura-Ace ST-7800 Shifters

The newly redesigned Dura-Ace 7800 STI levers are here! These are the shifters you''ve seen on Lance''''s bike and now they can be on yours. They boast a new, more ergonomic design and of course, an extra click to accomodate the new 10 speed drivetrain.

Submitted by mnotheis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
Lively frame geometry. Light. Stiff. But, compliant.

Best bike I have ever owned!

Favorite Ride:   Orbea Orca

Submitted by mnlavey a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth, crisp shifting with minimal effort.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, but worth it.

Bottom Line:
These shifters are outstanding. I have a Dura Ace 7700 group on my other bike and these are far superior shifters. I have told friends it is like moving from a manual typewriter to an IBM Selectric. The shifts are smooth, crisp, and require much less effort. Smooth as butter.

Similar Products Used:   Dura Ace 7700 9 speed shifters

Bike Setup:   Felt F1 - Dura Ace 7800 Group

Submitted by pitstoppaul a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2007

Strengths:    Everything, just amazing. It's reliable and solid through and through. Looks slick too.

Weaknesses:    Nothing. Maybe if it was 100 grams lighter?

Bottom Line:
Excellent, excellent gruppo. It's bulletproof construction and rigidity is amazing. Smooth transitions in every gear and super quiet operation. I almost wonder if Shimano stuck with metal vs. carbon blend because of how rigid they can make these cranks. Also, it's a looker, almost seems like something out of a fine silver store.

Favorite Ride:   SW Tarmac

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   SW Tarmac, Mavic K ES, Alias Saddle, Conti GP Attack

Submitted by hoiminglee a Recreational Ricer

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2005

Strengths:    - multiple hand positions, more than campy
- longer reach
- The flight deck is a "substitute" for tri bars almost...
- Levers are smooth like butter, no kidding, much better than my campy

Weaknesses:    - don't like the cabling that comes out of the levers, unlike campy which is tucked underneath the handlebar tape
- no other weakness.. oh the rubber hood seems a little flimsy but only time will tell

Bottom Line:
Recently switched my bike from Campy Chorus to Dura Ace 7800 group. One of the most outstanding features in my opinion are the ST-7800 Levers. Combined with the 7800 brakes they are very powerful with excellent modulation. I like them so much that I had to write this article, the rest of the Dura Ace group is A1 but the levers are worth writing about..

Favorite Ride:   Shek O

Duration Product Used:   i love sram red

Purchased At:   Flying Ball

Similar Products Used:   Campag record 9 speed brake levers

Bike Setup:   Seven odonata with dura ace, mavic ssssccc sl wheels, sell italia trans am SLR seat, look carbon pedals

Submitted by cpark a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2004

Strengths:    Ergonomic design,shifting,throw and extra gear

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Just upgraded from 9 speed and I was thinking there can be a huge difference.
Boy was I wrong. First,it shits smoother than 9 speed. Second,it feels better on my hands(better ergonomic design).Brake/Shifter Lever feels closer to my hands when I have my hands on the drop compare to 1 speed. Third,it has a shorter throw than 9 speed(less wrist action). These shiters are awesome!!!
Best of all I'm always on the right gear since I have no gears missing (I use 12/21 cassette 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-21-23-25-27-29-31-33-35-37).

Favorite Ride:   Any road with cars